New 'AMP TOWER' day!

• Thread starter God of Thunder
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

God of Thunder

Reaction score
Woohooo! I've owned my Aerosmith 1968/69 for awhile now. I've got a nice road case with it - but I got word of an 'AMP TOWER' from Aerosmith as well. A few phone calls later, and this baby was on the way here!

I called R&R cases and she was made in 1996! This is a legit Aerosmith owned case to match my 68/69 Super Lead Marshall that's also from Aerosmith! The Case has built in power and cooling fans that blow into the back of the heads to keep them cool. All in all - I LOVE IT!

xgXnsMJh.jpg

zmg55rth.jpg

ZDA73O8h.jpg

zmg55rth.jpg

vQ33rIQh.jpg

hpXOCrkh.jpg

bpWTCKhh.jpg

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. Why is the amp tower so much deeper than the heads that go in it? Is the extra depth for stowing wrapped up cables? I like the slots for spare fuses. I wonder, why only 3A fuses and no HT fuses?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Nice. Why is the amp tower so much deeper than the heads that go in it? Is the extra depth for stowing wrapped up cables? I like the slots for spare fuses. I wonder, why only 3A fuses and no HT fuses?
it's a standard depth. A cube will have more stability than a chopped to depth box. You don't want those heads constantly falling over, especially, when tubes are hot...

When you have casters on a box, the castors can make the box wobbly, especially, if the wheel base is not sufficient for the top weight.

That's also, why it's best to remove casters from stacked cabinets. I don't like the feel of heads on top of stacks either, especially on stage, if you're plugged straight in to the head. One wrong step, at the end of your cable length could bring the head/stack down. One reason, why, back in the early days of stacks, they had roadies to man the stacks, to make sure that they didn't topple over...

Last edited:

God of Thunder

Reaction score

It's not too much (if any) deeper than you'd expect. It looks wider with the back/front removed because its got a shelf for the front cover to sit on. There's a little added depth for cables - and then the power strips/fans are also integrated back in there!

God of Thunder

Reaction score
Very cool score!! Congrats on the case, and also the awesome amps you own! BW98.. Brad Whitford 98? What does the 98 signify?

My guess is that they just label all of hte road cases so they can be accounted for. To my knowledge - the 98 doesn't signify anything particular. And I also admit I could be totally wrong on that.

Ned B

Reaction score
I live a couple miles from R&R. They have always been near the corner of Golf & Rand Rd's in Des Plaines, Illinois. I have one of the first 100w head cases they every made...at least that's what Mike C send when it went in to be re-foamed.

Dozer

Reaction score
When I lived in the Northeast USA I bought a Bedrock head from a guy that claimed he got it from Joe Perry for an 8 ball of cocaine. Didnt have any Aerosmith markings on it but the region was correct so who knows. Either way awesome tower you have there!! A piece of rock n roll history.

smiley

Reaction score
nice!
so what's the story - how did you score it?

and is there a thread somewhere about the "Aerosmith 1968/69"?

God of Thunder

Reaction score
nice!
so what's the story - how did you score it?

and is there a thread somewhere about the "Aerosmith 1968/69"?

The guy I bought my 68/69 from - Donn - and I have become pretty good friends. He's bought a ton of gear from Aerosmith and just recently a bunch from Def Leppard. He send me a photo of it as I had mentioned to him that if I ever came across one - it would have to be an instabuy. He's got a ton of stuff for sale here. www.donnbennett.com

Here are a couple threads about the Aerosmith 68/69. There was some who thought it was a very late 68, and others who thought a very early 69. It's a true Plexi regardless - so I just call it a 68/69. It was used on the 2002 Tour.