New Amp Weekend: 81' JMP 2203

• Thread starter RWMusic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RWMusic

Reaction score
I sold off all my Marshall style tube heads years ago and regretted the decision. A couple months ago I decided that I wanted to have a real deal Marshall again, because every guitarist needs at least 1 Marshall right? I figured it would be somewhat of an investment too. i was specifically on the look out for a JMP 2203 or 2204 as I liked the looks a lot more compared to a JCM 800.

My one rule is that I always buy gear in person so I can try it. I figured it would take me a while to find one in the wild.

Walked in to a local guitar shop yesterday, and the first thing I see is a JMP 2203, almost like it was supposed to happen. Based on the serial number, an 81'. Had some wear (couple minor tears, minor dirty tolex, power/standby lettering partly gone), but expected for a 40 year old amp. Seemed to be original.

This sounds cheesy, but I plugged in a Les Paul, hit some AC/DC style riffs/chords and just knew instantly that it was a great tone. And not just a biased opinion because I was looking for this amp, but it legit put a smile on my face. Sometimes you just know, without having to spend too much time with the gear. I've had it happen before with guitars, but rarely if ever with amps.

The amp wasn't even loud at all. EQ knobs at noon, Preamp on 7, and Master barely on 1. It instantly had that classic rock tone that I imagine.

I know the amp wasn't cranked at all, but even set like that, it felt very spongy and sounded great. Even without reverb, which I usually like to play with, there is still a "room" vibe to the tone, hard to explain.

Anyways I ended up buying it. I'm embarrassed that I might have overpaid for it but I did love the tone. I paid $2200. Was this in the ballpark?

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
It might sound crazy but I prefer the sound of JMP master volume amps over the JCM 800 master volume amps. I’ve got a 4104 from ‘84 and while I love the thing it always sounded a bit tight or compressed maybe compared to JMP amps. I know there’s basically no difference between the two but the JMP amps sound like they’ve got more bark for lack of a better word like the older superleads

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I sold off all my Marshall style tube heads years ago and regretted the decision. A couple months ago I decided that I wanted to have a real deal Marshall again, because every guitarist needs at least 1 Marshall right? I figured it would be somewhat of an investment too. i was specifically on the look out for a JMP 2203 or 2204 as I liked the looks a lot more compared to a JCM 800.

My one rule is that I always buy gear in person so I can try it. I figured it would take me a while to find one in the wild.

Walked in to a local guitar shop yesterday, and the first thing I see is a JMP 2203, almost like it was supposed to happen. Based on the serial number, an 81'. Had some wear (couple minor tears, minor dirty tolex, power/standby lettering partly gone), but expected for a 40 year old amp. Seemed to be original.

This sounds cheesy, but I plugged in a Les Paul, hit some AC/DC style riffs/chords and just knew instantly that it was a great tone. And not just a biased opinion because I was looking for this amp, but it legit put a smile on my face. Sometimes you just know, without having to spend too much time with the gear. I've had it happen before with guitars, but rarely if ever with amps.

The amp wasn't even loud at all. EQ knobs at noon, Preamp on 7, and Master barely on 1. It instantly had that classic rock tone that I imagine.

I know the amp wasn't cranked at all, but even set like that, it felt very spongy and sounded great. Even without reverb, which I usually like to play with, there is still a "room" vibe to the tone, hard to explain.

Anyways I ended up buying it. I'm embarrassed that I might have overpaid for it but I did love the tone. I paid $2200. Was this in the ballpark?

Congratulations. By the looks of it (looks in nice shape), I'd say you did just fine. Prices are high on everything right now, so based on that, I'd say you got a "good deal".

Crikey

Reaction score

Congrats!
You wont regret that purchase

dptone5

Reaction score
Congrats!! That is a beauty and I think that is a good price for a JMP 2203.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
2200 is definitely a good price in today's market, especially for one that gives you an instant smile when you play it.

Congratulations. That's one amp that I think everybody can get good use out of. A real classic. I own one, and it's my second 2203.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great score, @RWMusic .... Don't let anybody pry your fingers off of it.

The JMP 2203 / 2204 are the living end.

I've got other great amps but nothing can fill the space occupied by the mighty JMP.IMG_20210220_010935472~01~02.jpg

:headbanger:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a really nice amp. I’ve got a 78 JMP 2203 and it is my favorite amp of all time. Yes they do sound a little different than the JCM 800 versions for some reason.
I was just going to ask about the differences in the JMP and the JCM 2203’s. If it’s a subtle difference that’s hard to define, or is it more of a distinct and predictable difference in the two?

Does that make sense to anyone?

Latest posts