New Dimarzio Paf Pro Pickups installed...thoughts..

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score
I have decided to complete revamp my one remaining Gibson Flying V. It's a 2000 V98, which is kind of rare and different then the typical 67' RI. Out of the 4 Vs I once owned this was my favorite. It just played and sounded the best. However, really got into playing my LP again...and realized I really preferred the sound of the LPs over the Vs. I sold off the Vs and replaced them with LPs. I decided to keep one V because I liked this particular guitar and as cool as an LP is..it could never replace the image of a V on stage. Their just cool looking guitars...an icon of hard rock.

Now this guitar I got back in like 08'...I traded straight up a Gibson Explorer for it. Love Explorers too..but man, their cases are too damn big...and are a bitch to carry around.

When I got the guitar I didn't realize the problems it had. The original owner didn't know what he was doing, and did much swapping of all the original parts. The pickups were all wrong, spaced poorly...57 in the bridge and a, what I think, 490r or 500t in the neck! The nut needed replacing...and there was poor soldering joints within the guitar's wiring harness.

I replaced the bridge pickup, fixed the wiring..had the nut replaced...and the guitar was then decent... gigged for quite some time with it. Once I got the LPs I sort of retired it...but then recently watching some of the our band's gigs from the way past...just loved the way the guitar looked on stage and decided to completely restore it.

First was replacing aging pickup selector and output jack. Then with what I recently discovered with the 36th Anniversary pickups and the LP...and with the proper spacing (reg/vs. F space) I decided to try some slightly hotter DiMarzio PAF Pros.

I really like the sound of this guitar with the PAF style pickups! I am rethinking my whole idea about pickup output and design. What I like about these kinid of pickups is how warm, natural and smooth they sound. They still have plenty of output, especially with a booster/OD pedal of some sort...but I like how they sound when you back off the volume slightly, though the 2204 can get a really cool AC/DC type sound...but when you crank and dig in..you get metal tones... Very responsive pickups! I use to think the Gibson 498t was the best...still like it...but these DiMarzio PAF style pickups are warmer and more useful..plus they really exude vintage hard rock tone...which I love.

I attached an image of the guitar I just took. I have some standard authentic Gibson sliver hardware..which will replace the cheezy gold Tonepro crap...(don't like it) and replace the ugly gold Grover Tuners with sliver ones... I will do the hardware in about a month after I wail on the new strings I just put on. Don't want to waste them. (NYXLs)

80384844_2765607240126236_8316543508244594688_o.jpg

ApathyForum

Reaction score
Nice V! I agree it’ll look better with chrome hardware/tuners.

I‘m actually interested in installing Dimarzio PAF Pros in one of my guitars, but have only heard sound samples. Glad to hear you like them.

Last edited:

Adieu

Reaction score
EXPLORER was too big and awkward.... so he bought a vee

Lol

PS looks cool tho

Adrian R

Reaction score
EXPLORER was too big and awkward.... so he bought a vee

Lol

PS looks cool tho

Dude, I played Explorers exclusively from like 1986-1996...and then again in the 2000s (with LP and V)... Their a bitch to maneuver in tight rehearsal spaces...and as I said, the cases take up a ton of room! But yeah, classic axe... totally cool.

RobS

Reaction score
hi Adrian

Beaut guitar man !

i put a Dimarzio paf pro in my 1st guitar, Yamaha rgx312 HSS and wired with coil splitting.
That was back in 1990 or 91 cant quite remember but it turned an average guitar into a great sounding one and I still play it from time to time but its got a floating tremolo which my other guitars do not and its a love hate relationship with floaters for me

it sure does have that vintage PAF vibe, something ive lately been getting back to and and actually put the 57+ back in the bridge of my LP Trad and its that 'new guitar' thing happening for me at the moment
Love the SDist however thought id try it and i think the 57+ will stay for now
the SD is going in my EPI LP Custom soon

rob