New Dsl20hr, And A Problem...

• Thread starter JuSu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2018 dsl
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Three 12AX7's where older DSL's had four. They saved one by not having a cathode follower feeding the tone stack, then only four gain stages instead of 5.

Looked at the schem briefly, will try to check it out later. But it is showing a dual rail power supply. I am wondering if there is another secondary HT tap that gets switched in for the low power? Or if they are bleeding off/dissipating voltage to ground?

dslman

Reaction score
Yes. It did exactly nothing. Here is a picture:
Well, I'm not getting my hopes up. I should have mine in a few days, and I'll let you guys know what I receive.
I have literally been searching for a new head for about 6 month, and now I choose this one.
Sorry yours had these problems.

dslman

Reaction score
Got it today, it is marked DEMO, looks brand new, and made 3/2020.
I'd gotten my hopes down, and ready to return at any sign of a problem , based on all the issues discussed.
No issues with this head so far, and it sounds really thick.
I hooked it up in stereo via the fx-loop and was waiting to be depressed, but what do ya know?
It sounds amazing! Nice stereo wall of sound on drive, and clean channel.
Paired with the 100H the loops work great together, no matter if I want to slave the 100, or the 20.
I really like the low power setting on the 20HR , it's fat and snarley, like it wants to be a little bully.
I suppose it's the 10w setting that is marked LOW.
One last note: The channel switching is perfect , with no noise or clicks, and it's immediate.
YMMV, but just my experience so far, and I've never played one of these before.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Got it today, it is marked DEMO, looks brand new, and made 3/2020.
I'd gotten my hopes down, and ready to return at any sign of a problem , based on all the issues discussed.
No issues with this head so far, and it sounds really thick.
I hooked it up in stereo via the fx-loop and was waiting to be depressed, but what do ya know?
It sounds amazing! Nice stereo wall of sound on drive, and clean channel.
Paired with the 100H the loops work great together, no matter if I want to slave the 100, or the 20.
I really like the low power setting on the 20HR , it's fat and snarley, like it wants to be a little bully.
I suppose it's the 10w setting that is marked LOW.
One last note: The channel switching is perfect , with no noise or clicks, and it's immediate.
YMMV, but just my experience so far, and I've never played one of these before.
Congratulations on a good one

dslman

Reaction score
Tested a bit more and checked out the (emulated out) through earbuds, and the volume,gain, and eq function as it should.
I probably won't use it , but wanted to check it for those who may have concerns.
Marshall sure knows how to make LOUD amps, and the little 20 is no exception.

Javimart1212

Reaction score
Well, unfortunately, I fired up the DSL20 the other day and what do you know, the noise was there. I'm like 100% sure that when I changed that cap it was gone, but it's back I guess. It really leaves me questioning my sanity, lol. I hear it when the gate closes in the fx loop; it really pisses me off. I'm going to change those resistors out tomorrow and see if that does anything. I'm glad to see very experienced people reacting to this thread.

dslman

Reaction score
Well, unfortunately, I fired up the DSL20 the other day and what do you know, the noise was there. I'm like 100% sure that when I changed that cap it was gone, but it's back I guess. It really leaves me questioning my sanity, lol. I hear it when the gate closes in the fx loop; it really pisses me off. I'm going to change those resistors out tomorrow and see if that does anything. I'm glad to see very experienced people reacting to this thread.
What a bummer! I hope you get it sorted out.

Javimart1212

Reaction score
Well, well. I changed out the 1 meg resistors this afternoon; the noise is gone. I jammed for about an hour and left it on for another. Dead silence when the gate is closed! I hope it sticks this time. Only time will tell...... Thanks for all the support

Last edited:

dslman

Reaction score
Well, well. I changed out the 1 meg resistors this afternoon; the noise is gone. I jammed for about an hour and left it on for another. Dead silence when the gate is closed! I hope it sticks this time. Only time will tell...... Thanks for all the support
Did you replace R56 and R70 with different value resistors?

RoadShow

Reaction score
Last week I bought a DSL20HR off of Reverb.

I wound up here this morning because of this issue and to figure out what was wrong and if anyone else had the issue. I was somewhat happy that I wasn't alone, and a little happier when I saw a "fix".

I became REAL happy when the fix worked for ME!! I did both at the same time, so I don't know if it was the cap or resistors, but I don't really care at this point, right???

Thanks be to this group!!

Javimart1212

Reaction score
You mean noise gate in FX loop was previously able to stop the noise?
No, the noise was much more noticable when the gate was closed or on the clean channel. I was working on the intonation and truss adj. Of a new guitar today and had a long 3 hour jam too. Amp is working great.

Javimart1212

Reaction score
Last week I bought a DSL20HR off of Reverb.

I wound up here this morning because of this issue and to figure out what was wrong and if anyone else had the issue. I was somewhat happy that I wasn't alone, and a little happier when I saw a "fix".

I became REAL happy when the fix worked for ME!! I did both at the same time, so I don't know if it was the cap or resistors, but I don't really care at this point, right???

Thanks be to this group!!

That's what I was thinking if it was just one or a combo of both.. but seems to work then if you got the same results.... props to the member Sixstring63 who discovered the C4 cap and the resistors were pretty common knowledge as of a few years, but yeah, this has been a real pain in the ass for a while now. :cheers:

rolijen

Reaction score
I am happy to say my DSL20HR doesn’t appear to have the noise or loop issues. What it does do is put a smile on my face. :)

So glad this forum exists to help solve issues. If anyoneIs wondering about putting Marshall casters on an MX cabinet, I posted this in the Cabinets section. Over the holiday weekend, I was able to install a set of Marshall casters MX cabinet to make my DSL20 rig stand tall and proud (and it’s much easier to move). I documented most of the steps in the post. Turned out nice:
FF4BE5C2-5E69-400D-B606-8B823AC44234.jpeg

ISRAEL MENDES

Reaction score
[QUOTE = "Armando, postagem: 1945902, membro: 55209"] [ATTACH = completo] 69498 [/ ATTACH]

Eu entendo o que é esse C4 e você tem que trocá-lo por outro igual (mas funciona bem claro).

Alguém sabe como encontrar exatamente essa peça oline?

Atenciosamente. [/ QUOTE]

Armando, conseguiu entender o que fazer? Acho que tem que trocar o capacitor e resistores juntos, mas por outros valores, só não sei quais...

Last edited: