New Dsl40cr Or New Evh 5150 Iii 50w?

Which one is the better option?

• Total voters

Crunchifyable

Reaction score
Lol....the Metal Zone...haha...i have one of those. No matter what i did i couldn’t get it to sound remotely good. It ranges from stepping on a beehive to a shitty AM radio.

Maybe the Metal Zone is one of those pedals that needs a solid state clean channel or a really bland clean channel to work best?

I have a Digitech Death metal...and when I use an EQ pedal in front of it to lower the gain...it becomes an awesome thrash metal AJFA old school metallica pedal with a ton of reasonant bass. Not something "toneful" but like awesome for the bedroom.

Iwanarock

Reaction score
I think in the latest versions (the ones labeled 6L6, EL34), they fixed this. Added a second concentric gain pot and a concentric volume pot to seperate "clean" and "crunch". By popular demand, as if.

I have a 6262 based on the 5150 II and it has that volume jump too...it really depends on how you have it set up. But I agree that due to that limitation, you have to kind of be a "crunch to lead" or a "clean to lead" kind of player, and not dance on all three in a live show, unless you work in the volume jump on crunch, which is less on higher gain settings and more on lower gain settings.

After I did my post i went and looked and saw people referencing this was fixed on the latest version labeled "6l6" or "EL34". However when i go on line and look at pictures of the 6L6 & EL34 heads i do not see that they added additional pot for Gain and Volume.

Looking closer now i notice in the picture the little black thing under the gain and volume pot, I assuming that is the concentric pot that you can set to different levels for channel 1 & 2 ?

If yes, which one sets the level to be used with which channel?
White for clean channel 1?
Black for Blue Channel 2?

And finally if that is true is there some mod out there i can point a amp tech to to Mod my 5150 iii (non EL34 labelled) and have this done to my head?

upload_2018-2-14_16-37-55.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-14_16-35-29.png
    upload_2018-2-14_16-35-29.png
    580.3 KB · Views: 2

Crunchifyable

Reaction score
After I did my post i went and looked and saw people referencing this was fixed on the latest version labeled "6l6" or "EL34". However when i go on line and look at pictures of the 6L6 & EL34 heads i do not see that they added additional pot for Gain and Volume.

Looking closer now i notice in the picture the little black thing under the gain and volume pot, I assuming that is the concentric pot that you can set to different levels for channel 1 & 2 ?

And finally if that is true is there some mod out there i can point a amp tech to to Mod my 5150 iii (non EL34 labelled) and have this done to my head?

View attachment 46307
The concentric pots are as you suggest.

I'm not sure if it's something simple a tech can do. In the past, other "mod companies" have modded 5150s to have a seperate gain / volume and for $$$$.

I'd like to consider modding my 6262 in this manner someday. But the real hindrance is how confusing the schematics are for this amp. There's a lot going on in a 5150.

If the schematics for the new amps get leaked, then it's possible your tech can do it. Haven't seen a schematic for the new ones.

Technically speaking it's not very complicated to have a relay switch two pots in and out of the circuit. It's just complicated in an amp that already has switching relays.

It would probably cost less to sell the amp you have and buy a used one of the one you want.

justinrhoads80

Reaction score

View attachment 46307

I don't know which knob controls what to be honest.

As for a tech doing it, I would call up fender and ask them that. If a tech can't do it you can send it out to fender and they will do it for you I believe

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Inner (black) knob is for ch 2. Fender is releasing a kit to retrofit existing amps. Only fender certified techs can purchase them, Howard Kaplan (lead design for these amps) told me the kit would be about 50 bucks to repair centers, and should be a 1-1.5 hour job. I called a local gold level certified tech that fender recommended and they quoted me 96 an hour, and that they haven’t received official word on the kit price.
You can have several places do the mod (non-fender official) and I think most places charge about 375 and youv’e got to pay for shipping also.
Honestly I’ve found the best fix for mine is to use my MIDI/multifx controller to drop the levels of my blue patches. If you try to raise green you get distortion. I use 4CM so it’s kinds the same as having the mod (ok not really but I tell myself that till the kits are out) since it’s dropping the level before the power amp and I just raise volume to compensate, and both channels are equal volume.

justinrhoads80

Reaction score
Honestly I’ve found the best fix for mine is to use my MIDI/multifx controller to drop the levels of my blue patches. If you try to raise green you get distortion. I use 4CM so it’s kinds the same as having the mod (ok not really but I tell myself that till the kits are out) since it’s dropping the level before the power amp and I just raise volume to compensate, and both channels are equal volume.

Didn't know that was an alternative :agreed:

saxon68

Reaction score
Didn't know that was an alternative :agreed:

I use the Boss MS-3, has effects, 3 loops (2 after you use one for the preamp of your amp in 4CM), tuner and MIDI out which I use to change channels on my EVH.

I gotta admit I’m tempted by the Line 6 HX Effects though.........

Crunchifyable

Reaction score
This is gas worthy. Three presence knobs. And 3 resonance knobs.

I'd never spend that much on an amp. But that's like eddie's "best of" amp.

LCW

Reaction score
Hey guys, in the future I am planning on getting a new amp since the one I have now (Dsl40c) Isn't doing it for me. If I can get what I want out of the amp then I will not buy a new one, but I have yet to found my tone out of it.

I also really feel that I shouldn't be spending hundreds of dollars of an already expensive amp just to make it sound good to my likings when I can buy one that sounds good right out of the box.

I am a bedroom player and don't need a 100 watt head with a 4x12. I want something that can sound good at lower volumes, but also can crank it up when no one is home. I would like to stay within the 30-50w range.

Would the new Dsl40cr be a worthy upgrade from the amp the have now or is it gonna just have the same tone/characteristics?

I have been looking at the EVh 5153 and they look really nice with the 50 watt head and a 2x12 combo.

I play a lot of different styles of music such as Jazz, Metal, Physcidelic Rock (A la Pink Floyd), Rock, Hard Rock, and Thrash Metal.

I would like something with nice clean tones (not sparkly and really bright like a fender though) and something that has a nice rhythm tone for hard rock and metal, along with something for leads.

Would the EVH be better in my case or is it worthwile to get the newly revamped DSL series?

Thanks guys

A week ago, before I got my 40CR I would have said hands down the EVH 5150 III. But I now have a CR, and honestly, for the money, and also the versatility of styles you described you want, I say get the 40CR and get a few pedals.

And the bonus is that (even with a couple pedals) you'll still come out cheaper! Got mine for under 700. For a head/cab, the 5150 (new ones with concentric knobs) will set you back 1400-1500. Combo would be 1200-1300.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin...seriously. Id go for the 5153. I've played it even though i dont go very heavy and love certain Marshall's?

It killed.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
What about the Mesa amps or a JVM410H

You haven't told us what your budget is, youre all over the place with your amp suggestions. With that said, if I were you I'd go for a Peavey 6505 or 6505+, you can go new for about 600 bucks for a combo and I've seen them go for half of that used. Budget is always the deciding factor unless you plan on financing it. Get rid of the DSL no amount of speakers or tubes will make it better. Youre a home player, have you considered any of the small 15 watt amps or even going solid state?

Iwanarock

Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies as I will call Fender and look into the Mod for my 5150iii

Last edited:

saxon68

Reaction score
A week ago, before I got my 40CR I would have said hands down the EVH 5150 III. But I now have a CR, and honestly, for the money, and also the versatility of styles you described you want, I say get the 40CR and get a few pedals.

And the bonus is that (even with a couple pedals) you'll still come out cheaper! Got mine for under 700. For a head/cab, the 5150 (new ones with concentric knobs) will set you back 1400-1500. Combo would be 1200-1300.

The new 50 watt head with concentric pots is 999. same as the previous generation. They've got them on Zzounds, just search EVH 6L6

Last edited:

Latest posts