• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

New Found 1973 Superbass !!!

• Thread starter David_Well
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

David_Well

Reaction score
Hi everi one, I'm new in this forum...
Last Week my step-father GIVE me a 1973 Superbass # 6212E
It need to be restore cause he use it for spare parts and before him,
this amp was use by a tech as work bench amp. Now it's mine !:dude:
PT,OT,choke,PCB and all the rest are original. No new parts add on it.
This Amp havent power up for years...

My project is to restore it as a 1969 Plexi (Good or not good idea ? )
So I'm gonne need help and tips from the pro's...
What should be done and whats not...
I whant this anp keep his value too but I' more consern by the sound.
The Holy Grail of tone!!!

Is the DALY capacitor can be found ? only one missing to get all 6.
All Mustard caps are in.
I have 2 OT that come with....

Thanks to help me in this Fabulous quest!

Dave.

Attachments

• DSCN1074.jpg
    DSCN1074.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN1076.jpg
    DSCN1076.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN1077.jpg
    DSCN1077.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN1090.jpg
    DSCN1090.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN1091.jpg
    DSCN1091.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 34

liamlw

Reaction score
I think restore it to the super bass specs originally not the 69 plexi, the super bass amps are crazy good cranked!!! what ever you prefer though!

Texas Native

Reaction score
Congratulations!!! You have quite a gem on your hands. My suggestion is to keep this beauty bone stock. If you feel the strong urge to mod something, find a less-collectible/rare amp to tweak.

Have fun with your new treasure.

David_Well

Reaction score
Thanks!
That's thrue...But things like send the chasis and end bell's to Chrome is ok or only a good cleaning .
If i chrome it, is the amp gonna loose some value?
What parts I should'nt touch of change?

Texas Native

Reaction score
Thanks!
That's thrue...But things like send the chasis and end bell's to Chrome is ok or only a good cleaning .
If i chrome it, is the amp gonna loose some value?
What parts I should'nt touch of change?

If it was my amp I would do two things.

1) Clean the unit in the most minimal fashion. It's old and it should look old.
2) Have it checked out by a reputable service tech that you trust.

But that's just me.

Soldano16

Reaction score
From what I've heard, the Super Bass circuit didn't really change from 69 to 73, unlike the Super Lead,

bosrocker51

Reaction score
I'd definitely try to make it a proper superbass, not a plexi... best of luck with it. Cleaning it would diminish the value, just like refinishing a 1963 Strat is kinda a bad idea... original, even if its beat up is worth more than re-done or polished.

AtomicRob

Reaction score
You might be able to find a Daly cap, but if the other ones are original and you want to really play the amp you should probably replace them all. It's a bit of a gamble, you might be fine for a long time with the old filter caps, or one might blow and take out a transformer. And I think that would hurt the value more than having new caps installed...

rykus

Reaction score
i also have a 73 super bass, and a plexi s/.. that has all the specs of a 1986 ie bass plexi rather than 1987 as it should....they sound just as good or better than the same era lead series, in fact as my plexi was modded allready so my tech while restoring my amp to safe playable condition tried both the 1986 and 1987 schematics and found the plexi to be a bit to bright and sterile and used the bass layout.... the first step with this sort of vintage is to find a competent tech who is into old marshalls/ tube amps and have him make sure the amp is safe and reliable, whats the point of keeping the original parts if they might fry a more important tone sculpting piece like the tranformers ect. put the original perts in a safe spot and enjoy the tone. and maybe pay the extra hour or 2 to try the SL and SB and decide what you personly want to hear. cheers and enjoy.

Hollowbody

Reaction score
You might be able to find a Daly cap, but if the other ones are original and you want to really play the amp you should probably replace them all. It's a bit of a gamble, you might be fine for a long time with the old filter caps, or one might blow and take out a transformer. And I think that would hurt the value more than having new caps installed...

+1:)