• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

New from ONFLOOR AUDIO - EVH Custom

• Thread starter HOT TUBES 70
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Ok , so my friend John who's in the Van Halen Tribute band here in Saskatoon has asked me to build him a new overdrive for his VH pedal board , so he left it up to me to come up with the design . So i got an idea ..... and here it is !! ( Sorry no labels yet !)

Its a Boss SD1 clone circuit with a Clean Booster !! ( Sounds Great !!:D )
The switches are for Gain boost & mid boost/cut .

What do you guys think ?? Opinions wanted .... :cool:

hot-tubes-70-albums-onfloor-audio-pedals-picture7205-dsc03840.jpg

hot-tubes-70-albums-onfloor-audio-pedals-picture7206-dsc03845.jpg

hot-tubes-70-albums-onfloor-audio-pedals-picture7204-dsc03843.jpg

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
So, your friend is basically using an SD-1 in front of his JMP to push it into the "VH" territory? I'm sorry if this seems like a silly question, but I can't begin to tell you how many times (in the past couple months) that I've been reading about the possible use of an od pedal on VH1 (just the first album).

Despite what everyone has always said about it being either stock or modified, I've always thought it was a pedal that was used on the first VH album ... especially when listening to Runnin' with the Devil (the use of the volume knob makes me question it).

I'm not suggesting he used an SD-1 (i don't believe it was even out yet) ... but, this just makes me wonder if there's something to it (meaning if you're friend is finding similar results w/out modifications to his amp w/extra gain stages /etc.).

Oh, btw., I think the pedal looks terrific ... I'd definitely buy one!

*edit* ... for the record, I've been reading about it on the metro forum as well as the rockstah forum (makes for an interesting read if you get a chance).

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
So, your friend is basically using an SD-1 in front of his JMP to push it into the "VH" territory? I'm sorry if this seems like a silly question, but I can't begin to tell you how many times (in the past couple months) that I've been reading about the possible use of an od pedal on VH1 (just the first album).

Despite what everyone has always said about it being either stock or modified, I've always thought it was a pedal that was used on the first VH album ... especially when listening to Runnin' with the Devil (the use of the volume knob makes me question it).

I'm not suggesting he used an SD-1 (i don't believe it was even out yet) ... but, this just makes me wonder if there's something to it (meaning if you're friend is finding similar results w/out modifications to his amp w/extra gain stages /etc.).

Oh, btw., I think the pedal looks terrific ... I'd definitely buy one!

*edit* ... for the record, I've been reading about it on the metro forum as well as the rockstah forum (makes for an interesting read if you get a chance).

The toggle switch on the left controls the gain level , and with it set one way its stock , the other is lifted gain + a push of the Mid range !! works great to get VH like tone , won't nail it , but very passable IMO !!

To my knowledge EVH never used any overdrive pedals , but i might be wrong , its always been a secret to his tone , as we all know it's in his hands anyway !:cool:

Thanks for the kind words guys !

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
Looks killer HT!

It's only missing one thing,

Where the hell is the giant OTFA logo right in the middle!

jwebb1970

Reaction score
I thought EVH had an old Echoplex or something of that nature in his early rig that was more for a boost than echo (not the echo unit in the bomb casing)....or is my memory faulty? I know he's never copped to using a dirt box per se....Anyway...cool looking pedal!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I thought EVH had an old Echoplex or something of that nature in his early rig that was more for a boost than echo (not the echo unit in the bomb casing)....or is my memory faulty? I know he's never copped to using a dirt box per se....Anyway...cool looking pedal!

I heard the same thing...

ckr1231

Reaction score
It's a great idea for a pedal---kinda reminds me of the pinnacle II that I have. Let us know when you are ready to sell them etc.
On another note---one must consider the JBL speakers Eddie pushed his rig thru to the mics.
I personally believe those old speakers where much of the key to Eddie's tone--- I had an old Zenith cab I used to run my amps thru in the early 80"s---that thing produced a tone and sound that was unbelievable !!!
:dude:

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments guys !!

By the way , this pedal is a strait ahead overdrive meant to push a good tube amp , in this case an older 800 & JMP , it can go high gain overdrive but not a true distortion circuit etc ...

The EVH color scheme was a thought of mine cause John (the owner of the pedal ) is the guitarist in the VH tribute band !
It's funny how this color scheme turns heads !!

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
I delivered this pedal to John tonight , and he was ecstatic !!
We then plugged in to his 800 head , and cranked it up , he's got a pretty big smile going right now !!!:D

These are the moments that make my hobby of pedal modding / Building totally worth it !:cool: