NEW - Gibson Dark Walnut Collection

• Thread starter fitz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

michael_walker

Reaction score
Thoughts?
I kinda like the LP...

View attachment 155979
SGs always look good in walnut. My '76 cherry mahogany SG Special has more or less faded to the colour shown here. Does anyone remember the SG Firebrand from the early 80s? That was a sort of mid-toned matte finish that I thought looked great.

Keysdweller

Reaction score

JAB62

Reaction score
Walnut STAIN collection. Like others have said, lame. Hey Gibson, walnut is a wood you can use to  make guitars. You can start with the fretboards. The SG and Jr bodies would be cool in walnut. IMHO

Derrick111

Reaction score
I once had a 1970 SG Custom in walnut... TBH, I never liked "brown" guitars, cloths, cars, etc. When I happened on the guitar, it was really beautiful in person and had to come home with me. If the walnut is deep and even, I like it on some guitars. Sort of a Black Crows or studio session guitar vibe. I happened on a 70s Tele with the same deep even walnut also that I had for a while. Here is what my SG looked like, though this is not the actual guitar. BTW, this is the same guitar Angus painted black and removed the middle pickup and used to record Back and Black!

1.jpg

Last edited:

ampeq

Reaction score
Specs look kinda run of the mill...
LP is a Standard 60's plain top - maple cap and mahogany body & neck.
Just a "walnut" stain.
It’s not even real walnut Fitz? I was wondering how the walnut would sound, apparently a lot like mahogany with a maple cap. By the way awesome Explorer! I would think if one was going for this type of look Koa would be a good choice, not walnut.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not even real walnut Fitz? I was wondering how the walnut would sound, apparently a lot like mahogany with a maple cap. By the way awesome Explorer! I would think if one was going for this type of look Koa would be a good choice, not walnut.
Yep - the "Walnut Collection" is just walnut colored, not actual walnut.
Thanks, the Explorer is solid walnut (maple neck).
Nothing perceptibly different tonally, but heavy A.F. at 10-1/4 lbs.

ElvisNixon

Reaction score
They offered walnut stain and cherry stain back in the late 50’s to late 70’sI had a walnut stained ‘69 SG Standard and a cherry stained ‘68 which was redundant for me in the 80’s and I sold the ‘69 but still have the ‘68 in cherry stain.

I think Gibson is just re-introducing the Walnut stain as some sort of play on the vintage vibe.

IMG_0145.jpeg

Reaction score

Capt. Crunch

Reaction score
I dig it! The bat wing on the SG seals it for me.
The ES with the grain showing through looks sweet.
The V is awesome & when the run finishes that color in a couple years will most likely be sought after.
But I'll pass on both Les Paul's.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
SGs always look good in walnut. My '76 cherry mahogany SG Special has more or less faded to the colour shown here. Does anyone remember the SG Firebrand from the early 80s? That was a sort of mid-toned matte finish that I thought looked great.

The first band that I tried out for a lifetime ago had a guitar player using one. I thought it was a cool guitar. I'm one of those strange cats that loves certain Norlin era Gibson's though.

Out of this batch, I'd love to have that V. I like stuff with a late '70's or early '80's look/vibe though.

V-man

Reaction score
Something about the fake copies never sits well with me -particularly being so out of style in this era.

I have the real “brown M&Ms” from the 1970s.

full

These ‘75s are something I’d never have bought from the 4 finish options back then. Brown just isn’t my color… but learning to live with it, there is a strange authenticity to it, from Hetfield stealing (/indefinitely borrowing) one of these during the Mustaine/Kea era, SRV playing one in ‘85, etc. It weirdly fits in the realm of old school metal on one end, blues or some sort of Mötörhead/outlaw country on the other end, and everything rock in between.

As much as brown isn’t my thing, I snatched up the second and would buy a 3rd and 4th in the same damned color given the right price.

That new one in this walnut stain OTOH, is the embodiment of current-era Gibson making the laziest pitch possible to badly approximate the 70s (V) and looking like an awkward inferior copy. Be nice if they just quit lazy/poorly-executed “stylistic cues” and just built the damned guitars right instead.

Latest posts