New guitar or new amp?

• Thread starter richieG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I was just playing my MIM Strat off and on today. I think I would like an American Strat at some point.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm perfectly happy with all the gear I've got. I go in cycles. I'll be all about amps, then I'll start dragging in pawn shop specials and guitar projects. Then when I have more amps and guitars than I can use, I'll start picking up a pedal here and there. It never stops. I might trade a nice guitar for a nice amp or vice-versa, but usually if I trade it's guitar-for-guitar and amp-for-amp.

If Guitar Center is having their trade-in/trade-up 15% discount sometimes I'll drop in with a guitar or amp that isn't getting much attention and trade it in on something new. I've always gotten a fair deal that way, mostly at GC in Nashville but also in Memphis occasionally. I got a new Class 5 combo, a couple of sets of strings and some cables trading in my Fender Hot Rod DeVille that I maybe had $300 invested in. I like trading.The only gear I have that I didn't trade something for is my $75 pawn shop Squier strat.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
whichever's the better deal and something i wan! lol.

right now i'm in the market for either a 7 string, a 7 string bridge duncan full shred pickup, a deluxe mim player's strat with maple board,Bogner alchemist,MKIII

and i'm looking to trade my H&K (with three year warranty) tubemeister for a carvin V3M or mini recto. (small amp with footswitch and fx loop plus hi gain options)

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I am more of an amp guy. I have traded and sold amps 5-10 times-to-1 VS my guitars. I have always been in search of my tone more so through my amps than through my guitars. In fact I owned one LP Custom for 30+ years.

I just purchased a new Class 5 for low volume practicing and now I am in search of a 1977 or ‘78 50 watt JMP just like the first Marshall that I owned when I was a teenager. I digress.

Marival

Reaction score
I guess both. It depends on what I feel like improving on/experimenting with.

My Current list:

Fender Excelsior amplifier

Schecter Blackjack SLS C-1 FR-S guitar

Phildog

Reaction score
I've got 2 Les Pauls, 4 Strats, 2 amps...soon to be 3.

LOL I'd get that Tele I'm Gasing for!!!

American_Vintage_62_Telecaster_Custom_3_Tone_Sunburst_V192454_1.jpg

richieG

Reaction score
a new amp....you can never have enough amps !!!

with guitars, I find that once you have a main guitar that plays and sounds great, you will always come back to it no matter how many guitars you can have because that's the one that feels the most comfortable and sounds the best to you....I have 4 guitars but my Les Paul gets used the most (90% of time)

I find constantly changing guitars is a pain in the arse. Jump on a new guitar and it takes a while to get familiar with it. Stay with same guitar that you love and I find I get more accomplished.

I think changing amps will give you the most dramatic change in sound and inspiration.

ics1974

Reaction score
I was just playing my MIM Strat off and on today. I think I would like an American Strat at some point.

I have owned a
07 American Strat (sounded tinny)
American VG Strat (too gimmicky)
Jeff Beck Signature Strat (it sounded good but didn't like the neck)
2010 MIM Strat. (this one is just right)
Sold all them and only own the MIM Strat. Don't know why but this one I liked the best. go figure.
That being said my Gibson Explorer is the best guitar I have ever owned. I have owned a few Gibsons as well.

lucidspoon

Reaction score
I think my next 2 purchases will be guitars. A Telecaster and another Les Paul (Gibson this time). Then back to amps for the next 2-3 purchases.