New Marshall modeling amp? 2024???

• Thread starter luizdiazzz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Frodebro

Reaction score
Sure but if you have a bad audio P.A the modeler, won't sound its best.

it will always be an unknown.

If you have a bad tube, or a smoked output tranny, or a myriad of other issues the amp won’t sound its best either.

Michael Roe

Reaction score
I think Marshall could make a successful modeling amp if they did the following:

1) make a visit to the Fractal HQ and bring a big suitcase full of cash and beg Cliff Chase to help them build it.
2) the design must be a full size head with all the Fractal Marshall amp models + ones they haven't done + do the Silver Jubilee and all models with multi channels and switches available and modeled with all those switches and channels.
3) the power amp section should be a SS power amp that has an Output tranny like on PASO series 4000 amplifiers. 4-8 and 16 ohm outputs at 100 watt.
4) an fx loop between the amp model and the SS power amp section which can be activated or not.
5) a large row of knobs on front that have mini displays that will state what the knob does. If it's only a 6 knob model than only 6 of those knobs show a control name on the mini displays. Also, buttons for those bright switches, ch switches, tone shift etc.
6) a knob that allows you to select the "Speaker Impedance Curve" for the cab you will be using.
7) a usb port to allow access to a computer to "tweak" those under the hood parameters like tube brands, bias, negative feedback, bright switch cap etc.
8) an additional Line Level out with XLR and 1/4" that can have 3rd party IRs loaded on board. This can be used as a direct to FOH/IEM instead of or along with a mic'd cab and for recording.
9) access to special made Fractal amp models which are only useable on this Marshall modeler amp that are not included but can be purchased via Fractal and DL'd to add to your amp. For example: Fender, Soldano, Mesa, Bogner etc.
10) Midi IN Out Thru
11) Headphone output that contains the IRs for quiet practice.
12) a simple app that you can use to create IRs of your own real cabs so you can use these as your own 3rd party IRs. This will utilize the onboard SS power amp when creating those IRs.
13) 2 front panel switches that at first appear like they are "Power" and "Standby" switches but are actually "Modeler" and "Power amp" on/off switches. This is so amp can be used in silent mode with no power amp or can be used as a power amp only for slaving.
14) an included simple 8-10 switch midi foot controller that switches between presets/banks.
15) 2 digital input/output loops. One to be used in the front of the amp for boosts/ODs etc and the 2nd to be used after the amp for fx such as Reverb/delay etc. Why? Only one A/D converter and one D/A converter on board. Keep all your FX in the digital domain by purchasing those new Fractal pedals that have digital ins/outs. How convenient they came out at the same time! These digital loops can be saved with each preset along with whether the Main FX loop is active or not.
16) the only built in FX are a simple Boost/drive and a Reverb.
17) last but not least.......5% of all sales go to me for coming up with the idea!

marshalled

Reaction score
If you have a bad tube, or a smoked output tranny, or a myriad of other issues the amp won’t sound its best either.

It only happened to me once but I always have a backup preamp (jmp1) with ehx magnum44 that saved the concert.
20 years of live concert... We play Every month happened only 1 time with my soldano because one preamp valve moved due to transport vibrations.
It's easier to find a bad PA system

giblesp

Reaction score
Not implying this is the OP;

Tube amps and electric guitars, were made in a time when you bought a good product that lasted for years, if not life.

Nowadays, consumerism demands a new product on a regular basis.

That's apparent in digital gear. Even with Kemper some are demanding version 2. Kemper gave a complete overhaul with it's latest OS. In many ways, it was a V2 but you didn't have to sell your old one, or put it in a landfill.

That wasn't enough for some, they NEEDED that new hardware as that's the modern consumer mindset.

The JVM is modern as tube amps go. Players still buy amps that are largely unchanged since the 60's. There isn't too much to change in electric guitar, or tube amp tech. If anything.

And as companies have learned, as soon as they start adding this and that, players demand things the way they were. Gibson is an example of this. Some of the latest Standards went back to 50's/60's specs, due to customer demand.

I appreciate that players would like Marshall to go into the modelling world. But that's not what the British owned Marshall were about.

For the most part, they continued to make products that like Strats and Les Paul's, don't need an update every month and replaced every few years like a smartphone.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
It's got to be something small that can fit into a backpack, or even a hybrid like the orange terror stamp. Something that can be connected directly to a mixer and requires no speaker.

V-man

Reaction score
I appreciate that players would like Marshall to go into the modelling world. But that's not what the British owned Marshall were about.

For the most part, they continued to make products that like Strats and Les Paul's, don't need an update every month and replaced every few years like a smartphone.

A page later from my post and (from what I can recall) the only other person posting who gets how stupid this misadventure would be reinventing a mousetrap to compete with about a dozen companies NOT yoked to a specific brand who are as far as 3 gens ahead.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
I think Marshall could make a successful modeling amp if they did the following:

1) make a visit to the Fractal HQ and bring a big suitcase full of cash and beg Cliff Chase to help them build it.
2) the design must be a full size head with all the Fractal Marshall amp models + ones they haven't done + do the Silver Jubilee and all models with multi channels and switches available and modeled with all those switches and channels.
3) the power amp section should be a SS power amp that has an Output tranny like on PASO series 4000 amplifiers. 4-8 and 16 ohm outputs at 100 watt.
4) an fx loop between the amp model and the SS power amp section which can be activated or not.
5) a large row of knobs on front that have mini displays that will state what the knob does. If it's only a 6 knob model than only 6 of those knobs show a control name on the mini displays. Also, buttons for those bright switches, ch switches, tone shift etc.
6) a knob that allows you to select the "Speaker Impedance Curve" for the cab you will be using.
7) a usb port to allow access to a computer to "tweak" those under the hood parameters like tube brands, bias, negative feedback, bright switch cap etc.
8) an additional Line Level out with XLR and 1/4" that can have 3rd party IRs loaded on board. This can be used as a direct to FOH/IEM instead of or along with a mic'd cab and for recording.
9) access to special made Fractal amp models which are only useable on this Marshall modeler amp that are not included but can be purchased via Fractal and DL'd to add to your amp. For example: Fender, Soldano, Mesa, Bogner etc.
10) Midi IN Out Thru
11) Headphone output that contains the IRs for quiet practice.
12) a simple app that you can use to create IRs of your own real cabs so you can use these as your own 3rd party IRs. This will utilize the onboard SS power amp when creating those IRs.
13) 2 front panel switches that at first appear like they are "Power" and "Standby" switches but are actually "Modeler" and "Power amp" on/off switches. This is so amp can be used in silent mode with no power amp or can be used as a power amp only for slaving.
14) an included simple 8-10 switch midi foot controller that switches between presets/banks.
15) 2 digital input/output loops. One to be used in the front of the amp for boosts/ODs etc and the 2nd to be used after the amp for fx such as Reverb/delay etc. Why? Only one A/D converter and one D/A converter on board. Keep all your FX in the digital domain by purchasing those new Fractal pedals that have digital ins/outs. How convenient they came out at the same time! These digital loops can be saved with each preset along with whether the Main FX loop is active or not.
16) the only built in FX are a simple Boost/drive and a Reverb.
17) last but not least.......5% of all sales go to me for coming up with the idea!
They could call it the JVM.

Resident 217

Reaction score
A kind of modeler- bit pricey for a pedal though- great review, he describes the sound differences well.

Dave47857

Reaction score
There has been a lot going on on the management side of Marshall and I don’t think they could make one that will compete at the price point. I also feel like mesa boogie is in the same boat. I am really shocked that the fender modeler is as good as it is. I also think it is a bit too late to join the party once these things go open source they are all face down. So why would Marshall worry about it. They need a good selection of the amps that can play a small gig or record with.

kenpollard

Reaction score
When is Marshall going to come out with a decent portable modeling guitar amp?

It's January 2024 and Marshall still has no new modeling amp out. The code series was a disaster and Positive Grid is dominating the modeling world with their spark amps.

It's time to discontinue the code series and give guitar players a compact/portable speaker that carries Marshall into the future.

Personally, I would love to see a new portable amp similar to their Middleton Bluetooth speaker.
I played in bands for more than a decade. I've owned everything from 100 watt tube amps to modeling amps. I played through Line 6 for several years. Later on in life, with the bands long gone, it was time to get something that was good for playing at home, but would also stand up in a jamming situation. I was standing in Guitar Center, looking at another Line6 when I saw the Marshall Code 50. I had owned a few Marshalls and decided to give the Code a shot. As many bad things I've read since, I can say the Code beats any Line 6 I've owned. There are hoards of players who swear by the Code. I wouldn't call that series a failure. Not by a long shot. The slight learning curve throws some away from the Code, but a bit of patience and an ear for dialing in tones is all it takes to get the beast that is Code to come to life. (Just had to say something. )

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Marshall..or whatever the headphone/ amp/ bath mat/ Keychain holder company is called now was to do something new in the modeling game they should go all the way.

They should make the JMD-1 As a profiling amplifier like the Kemper, and also sell downloads... not the voice knob thing they have now. Imo the voicings listed on the face of the jmd sound nothing like the amps they're supposed to emulate. Great idea..and mine sounds really really good, but it could have been perfect.