New Marshall CODE digital amp series

• Thread starter Moony
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sean95m

Reaction score
the ribbon cable is prone to come loose, due to the way it is tied up (sometimes too tight)
the connector will not make contact anymore, leaving the amp dead in its track
had the same thing going on with my 25
Sweetwater got back with me earlier today and they are sending me a new Code 50. It should be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed it doesn't end up having the same issue because I have been really enjoying this amp.

AJU

Reaction score
Yeah thats the exact noise mine makes.
I don't know if you are on mymarshall but if you go over there and vote the relevant messages up they will float to the top and become more important. If enough people did this they would see how important some issues are - maybe!.

The best way to view all the messages at once is to use

the most voted one's are at the top the others you can see them in message order by just looking at their url - at the moment the highest numbered message is

I use the above all messages url because the search option does not seem to always work but the chrome page search does. Obviously chrome cannot search the messages answers using this method. If it helps also I use the chrome previous page (Left arrow at top left of window) as the marshal back to list goes back to the start. I've given them a fix for that whcih would take seconds to implement but they didn't bother with it yet ( 3 months or so ago I think).

AJU

Reaction score
Pardon me if I missed the post(s), but did anyone ever try playing the amp with the back completely off or with a partial back installed??? I am pretty satisfied with the sound straight on, but off axis, not so much.
You could try searching the forum for say "Code remove back" or something similar perhaps - I think it will definitely sound different but as to how I'm not really sure.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I found that clean sounds could be good but crunch/overdrive sounds were horrible noisy and the gate had to be firmly shut which made the guitar cut off badly.

I have the gate low but not off. I also really watch the gain so it is at a reasonable setting, I'm not finding it too bad. A touch noisy on some but expected. Strange. I am NOT using the pre pedals built in for the most part. Plenty of gain on the amps.

Pardon me if I missed the post(s), but did anyone ever try playing the amp with the back completely off or with a partial back installed??? I am pretty satisfied with the sound straight on, but off axis, not so much.

I kinda did. I am going to do exactly that when I install the V30. I may just drill 2 large ports in the back if I find that it sounds better with a partly open back. It's sooo directional.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
i actually did it differently by putting insulation inside the cab of my 25... but then again i swapped in a speaker that delivers way more low end

Sean95m

Reaction score
I plugged in my Peavey Vypr 30 because I'm waiting on my Code 50 replacement that will be here tomorrow. Holy shit does it sound like crap in comparison to the Code 50!

Wylde Chylde

Reaction score
My 1st impression was that they were the AC plug wires (because that's close to where the AC plug is). If Wylde Childe sees this post he may let us know. A torroid transformer is used to restrict "RF Parasitic Signals". In plain english that means it should only allow lower frequencies to pass (like 60 cycles AC and not the radio signals or your neighbors drill that are absorbed by the power lines and delivered to your outlets). There really is a lot of thought in these code series. By the way...I am fighting the urge to just open it up to see what's inside. At my age that could be a disaster waiting to happen. I will leave that to you brave souls.

Sorry guys, I just saw this. I don't know why there is a torroid on the stock speaker wire. I replaced mine with some longer wire to reach my terminals on the EVM a little easier and I left that torroid on the original wires. I haven't heard anything abnormal in the way of noise since doing so...although that is what my wife calls my playing. If I remember correctly, there are actually quite a few of them in there, not only on the speaker wires.

munkee

Reaction score
Anyone with the footswitch know how to program the tap tempo and Tuner into it???

Plectrum

Reaction score
Anyone with the footswitch know how to program the tap tempo and Tuner into it???

According to the manual you just hold down the appropriate pair of buttons then press and release whichever footswitch button you want to assign it to.

Outta Toon

Reaction score
So... are these amps a go or not? I know the heads won't be available till after the first of the year. I am thinking of getting a 50 to start with so that I can learn the platform. Are they worth purchasing?

Plectrum

Reaction score
So... are these amps a go or not? I know the heads won't be available till after the first of the year. I am thinking of getting a 50 to start with so that I can learn the platform. Are they worth purchasing?

Some of us are very happy our Codes. Others hated them and returned them almost immediately. You do need to work with them for some time to get the best of them. The factory presets are pretty awful and designed to appeal to a 12-year old. The speaker needs time to break in. If you're the sort of person who demands out of the box instant sonic perfection then Code will disappoint. If however you are on a tight budget, don't expect an entry-level amp to sound and feel like a hand-wired valve amp costing 8 times the price and are prepared to take the time to break the speaker in and develop your own presets then you may enjoy it.

chiliphil1

Reaction score

IMHO, yes. It is a modeling amp, it does have a SS power section, it can sound boomy.. BUT, if you're just looking for a great practice and at home amp it's a real winner. I can see gigging it with some time spent tweaking but like anything that is modeling you're going to have to put in a little work to get the best from it. It's the same with line6, etc. For the price I say go for it because I liked what I found in the 20 minutes I spent with one and I will be buying one, eventually.

Antmax

Reaction score
I noticed a lot of people on other boards like the 25 but find the 50 too boomy. With some tweaking the 50 sounds really good considering how inexpensive it is. I often wonder if they shipped the 50 set up with the smaller 25 presets. The 25 having a smaller speaker needs the equalizer cranked up a little more in the lows. It doesn't explain the noisegate being so high, even on clean settings.

After over 2 months I really like the amp. Initially when I first got it I was a little disappointed. Plugging the line out into my Marshall Woburn bluetooth speaker provided a much more balanced sound. I found that the 12" speaker in the code did need to be broken in and it sounds pretty good now. When I first got it the Bassbreaker was awful with a boomy muffled sound through the range, after break in the dynamic range has improved and it now sounds really good with minor tweaks.

Jewstar SG

Reaction score
I got this amp and foot pedal in August from Sweetwater and simply love it. Code 50 is loud and proud and I couldnt be happier!
I played my SG through it and its super easy to dial in the ACDC sound once you find their rig listed online. Best purchase i made in years and I can be a bit of a tone snob...

Plectrum

Reaction score
I noticed a lot of people on other boards like the 25 but find the 50 too boomy. With some tweaking the 50 sounds really good considering how inexpensive it is. I often wonder if they shipped the 50 set up with the smaller 25 presets. The 25 having a smaller speaker needs the equalizer cranked up a little more in the lows. It doesn't explain the noisegate being so high, even on clean settings.

After over 2 months I really like the amp. Initially when I first got it I was a little disappointed. Plugging the line out into my Marshall Woburn bluetooth speaker provided a much more balanced sound. I found that the 12" speaker in the code did need to be broken in and it sounds pretty good now. When I first got it the Bassbreaker was awful with a boomy muffled sound through the range, after break in the dynamic range has improved and it now sounds really good with minor tweaks.

I think the 25 and 50 have exactly the same presets. MAkes no difference to me anyway - just a slightly different flavour of rubbish to overwrite ;)

I assume you mean Bluesbreaker not Bassbreaker, which is a recreation of a 1950s/60s amp which never existed ;)

flimbo

Reaction score
Those new Boss Katana amps look quite interesting from the Andertons video posted the other day on Youtube. Maybe better than the CODE?

Plectrum

Reaction score
Those new Boss Katana amps look quite interesting from the Andertons video posted the other day on Youtube. Maybe better than the CODE?

A very different product though because it's not trying to model other amps.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Depends what your use is. As others have pointed out, set your own presets!! I can't stress that enough. I happened to have a spare speaker so I changed mine out but it's ok as is. I am using mine for a versatile, decent sounding light compact amp for practices and small venues.
I don't play with the buggy app, I don't USB, I don't headphone. For me and what I want it for, it's a great little amp. Also, for the budget - this is not a high end expensive amp. I noodle around and play on it a little pretty much every day. Fun discovering new sounds. It's more than I play my other amps right now, it's so easy. Footswitch coming Monday.