New Marshall CODE digital amp series

• Thread starter Moony
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Frodebro

Reaction score
Wow. I've only glanced at this thread long enough to know I don't think it's all that attractive looking. No MIDI? Seriously? For me at least that is a FAIL

Same here, and with no loop you're locked into using the internal effects.

If they offered a 1U rack version with just the amp & cab models and XLR/SPDIF outs I would buy one in a heartbeat, but that doesn't seem to be what they're targeting with this line. These will be solid competition for products like the Fender Mustangs and such in that price point, and I think they'll do well in that market.

ricksteruk

Reaction score
You guys are appreciating this is a budget amp range right?

If it had MIDI, Digital ins and outs, Word clock, FX loop, etc it would cost way more and move it away from the "kids first amp" or "school rehearsal room amp" territory.

I hope this sells well and then yeah maybe they will think about making a higher end modeller.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
^That's what I've been trying to ****in say. :rofl: I'm seeing this as a budget-friendly amp like the Line 6 Spider or Vypyr (while hopefully sounding as good, if not better, than the Vypyr), not a pro-grade rig.

What I'm hoping is this does good enough to where Marshall releases pro-grade CODE stuff.

Dmann

Reaction score
As said before, MIDI wouldn't be cheap to implement and would probably add to the cost. Marshall seems to be keen on making this more affordable.

On Facebook marshall replied that it does have Midi, but over USB only.

Also they stated it is 100 % solid state and digital.

Seeing as how it has USB the only reason to leave out a midi in for pedal control is so you are forced to buy and use the one they sell at an extra cost as the included pedal will most likely be very basic and limited.

atarilovesyou

Reaction score
The old saying of 'If you have nothing good to say'...well, all I'll say is that this looks nice, for those who are interested in such things. I am not, so I guess I'll go check out those mini-Jube videos! :D

Here's the bottom line with this type of product: they only serve to get the customer base to come BACK to the mainline of products. You will never, ever get the same tones from a $700 product that emulates amps that cost up to 3 times as much. You can have a lot of fun with it, but after that wears off, the target audience wants 'more', and that means they come looking for a Marshall amp...if the designers did it right, that is.

I commend Marshall for getting into this area, but they should always remember who butters their bread: those of us who want quality tube amps with a nice big 'Marshall' logo plastered on front.

If this is the 'main' product release of the year (along with Astoria), then I guess I'll keep drooling over the Friedman line :D

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
you guys gotta be ****ting me... the code 25 will likely going for $199,- which is 2/3 of a THR10, but includes 10 times more options and still people bitch about it

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
tumblr_o09l6y80N91u9ilq6o1_400.gif

johnfv

Reaction score
I want amps I can gig with and MIDI is something I need. Just stating facts, not trying to be negative, it seems I am not the target audience for the CODE.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
You should be able to get good 800 and plexi tones out of the Jubs. At least very close. IMO

I suppose, but every video I have ever seen of the jube I just don't like it.

you just came out of your cave??? geez...

What?

What the **** are you talking about? TONS of us have been asking for a new modeling amp after the JMD series was release, more mini amps IN GENERAL.

WTF are YOU talking about? 1 in 20 people on this forum want modeling and then it's Kemper or Fractal, this amp is a line 6 with a different logo. You guys amaze me, I come on here using modeling and get jumped all over for it, convert to the tube faithful and now everyone wants modeling?

Also consider this...

If this does good, maybe they'll expand the series. Release a preamp version (either a floorboard, rackmount, or desktop module) and a tube-version with more features (IE, the JMD:2), etc etc.

You have a point here, I think the amp set up is a loss but as a rack unit, floorboard, etc there certainly could be some applications here. It just needs to be refined at this point, the demo videos don't look very promising.

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
It sounds like the same old plasticky modelling amp, that beginners love so much. I am extra willing to buy one in the future ONLY if it can sounds like a tube Marshall. I am disappointed in this Code amp, not because it sounds like plastic, but because there is not even a little improvement compared to the previous modellers (JMD, AX fx, Kemper etc).

Frodebro

Reaction score
It sounds like the same old plasticky modelling amp, that beginners love so much. I am extra willing to buy one in the future ONLY if it can sounds like a tube Marshall. I am disappointed in this Code amp, not because it sounds like plastic, but because there is not even a little improvement compared to the previous modellers (JMD, AX fx, Kemper etc).

I have both a JMD-100 and a Kemper, and based on my experience with both of them I would have to politely, but strongly, disagree with you. I made some direct profiles of my Mark V, and A/Bing them through identical cabs they're nuts-on accurate, and not "plasticky" at all. Same with the JMD-through a V30-loaded cab the amp sounds great (though I don't use it much since getting the Kemper).

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
I have both a JMD-100 and a Kemper, and based on my experience with both of them I would have to politely, but strongly, disagree with you. I made some direct profiles of my Mark V, and A/Bing them through identical cabs they're nuts-on accurate, and not "plasticky" at all. Same with the JMD-through a V30-loaded cab the amp sounds great (though I don't use it much since getting the Kemper).

Of course you can disagree, and modeller amps can do well some sounds. But ask yourself this question: can a modeller amp sound like jimi Hendrix or Angus Young? No way, and we are still light years away from hearing that.

Frodebro

Reaction score
Of course you can disagree, and modeller amps can do well some sounds. But ask yourself this question: can a modeller amp sound like jimi Hendrix or Angus Young? No way, and we are still light years away from hearing that.

You're light years away from it maybe, but the sounds are there already. It's up to the player to provide the technique to finish off the equation.

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
You're light years away from it maybe, but the sounds are there already. It's up to the player to provide the technique to finish off the equation.

the proof is in the pudding my friend, show me at least ONE single clip where a modeller amp sounds decently like Hendrix or Angus Young, and I will believe you. I am asking something simple, just one clip, is it so hard to find?

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
the proof is in the pudding my friend, show me at least ONE single clip where a modeller amp sounds decently like Hendrix or Angus Young, and I will believe you. I am asking something simple, just one clip, is it so hard to find?

listen to AC/DC's black ice album...

Frodebro

Reaction score

I have compared my own amps to profiles I have made with them, which satisfied me. I really have no reason-nor desire-to put any effort into trying to convince somebody else (especially somebody that is holding so tightly to their belief system that they wouldn't accept anything that counters their already solidified opinions). However, I will say that my experience comes from sitting in the same room with this gear, not comparing compressed YouTube and MP3 clips through computer speakers.