New Marshall CODE digital amp series

• Thread starter Moony
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
Slash is getting a CODE25 it would be interesting so see what kind of tones he'll get out of it. :yesway:

chiliphil1

Reaction score
How are classic rock tones on the grandmeister? I am thinking JCM800 2203 sounds with a Les Paul. All the videos seem metal oriented.

I think it did VERY well for those tones. Not to plug myself but I've got a link in my signature for my YouTube channel where I have a 45 minute video on the GM36 and I cover each channel.

from what I was told, it was their (re) entry into the field, & that this was just a starting point. The idea was to build on this platform & work their way up to offering pro/studio products. Not sure if that's still the plan though, as it seems like Marshall is in a state of upheaval, so who knows?

That's what I was thinking, hopefully they pursue that path otherwise I fear that they may become irrelevant.

stw500

Reaction score
I own a code50 since oktober 2016 and i am still exploring the amp. But one thing is really annoying me, and this is BT.

One of my phones (Android 4.0.4, BT4) can´t download and install gateway because in the playstore is said, wrong android version, although Marshall claims for himself Android 4 is working. Marshall support can not help. Disasppointing.

The BT-connection between my Code50 and gateway on my other phone (Android 6.0.1, BT4) disconnect all the time. Once established for some minutes i can count the few seconds/minutes before disconnecting. Especially with a distance between phone and amp of more than 50cm. Just to make clear, the BT-connection between phone and amp stays connected (so no phone fault), only the one between code and gateway is the problem. Those problems knows Marshall since 2016 (playstore, forum, Marshall-FAQ and so on) but they don´t fix it. The last gateway-version is from Dezember 2016, the firmware-version of the amp from november 2016. When i decided for buying the code i didn´t expect marshall to be such a poor supporter for customers.

Does anyone have hints to get the BT-connection stable? Reinstalling and deleting the cache do not help.

Antmax

Reaction score
To install on an unsupported phone just use a backup app to backup gateway on another phone that does support gateway. The one i used creates a folder and backs up the apks to that folder.

Copy the single .apk file to the unsupported phone and install the app outside of the app store. Worked perfectly on a Yun OS phone (Chinese android alternative)

Fern

Reaction score
I would like to see Marshall come up with an update to fix these bluetooth issues. I had a few but especially if i'm further than 10 feet from the amp and I'm using the Gateway app on a Google Pixel phone running Android 7.1.2. I can live with that cause once I create the patches I want and save them to the amp and subsequently run them through the footswitch then I'm only using the Gateway app closer to the amp to create new patches anyways. My first and foremost request for improvement (not that there's a chance in hell Marshall will hear my cries if I post it anywhere) would be a firmware update on the amp itself that will make the master volume knob more sensitive so I there wouldn't be such a huge drop in volume between 2 and 0. Otherwise it's been a great amp (my first) that has taught me alot about Marshall amp lineup and what I would eventually purchase as far as tube amps. DSL15c seems to be a runner up but i'm afraid even with the option of reducing wattage and practice at a lower volume I would loose wattage needed to create a sweet clean tone so gains and losses here...therefore it would be nice to get the Code Master volume issue resolved but if they address it the same way as the release of the Code 100 then I'm better off cutting this already so long post....sorry..I'll shut up now...cheers Marshmelodics!!

Antmax

Reaction score
A lot of devices have an intentionally short range since bluetooth is really designed for short range personal electronics like headphones. Extending the range uses up more power and is less secure. Also a lot of bluetooth devices can only pair with a single device at a time. If you have longer ranges then the devices will often start fighting for dominance causing all manner problems.

A couple of my high end bluetooth devices will let you pair two devices simultaneously. But that isn't all that common. If you have several phones and tablets that were previously paired to your CODE and they are all powered up on standby that can cause a lot of connection problems.

If the CODE was intended to be used over long distances over 10 feet they would have used WIFI instead of bluetooth. It's also low bandwidth, one of the reasons you need a fairly recent bluetooth version is to enable more complex interaction between the two devices than just streaming music and the most basic controls.

Arc Anjil

Reaction score
What @Antmax said. I only jam to backing tracks (I'm set up in the spare room or garage), so distance is not a problem for me.

The only issue I have is the Gateway app sometimes doesn't connect to the CODE. The BT is connected, but Gateway doesn't "see" the amp. Not all the time, but I'd say maybe 30-40%. And I set my phone on top of the amp when I'm connecting.

mazzefr

Reaction score
Since the firmware update a couple of months ago, I've had no issues with Bluetooth at all. I suggest keeping your phone or tablet on a music stand near the amp. That at least keeps you from bending over every time you need to make adjustments.

I'm not sure why it's such a big gripe about the master volume either. My 5275 was the same way and I've been fine getting a proper volume with both. Just turn the knob slowly...

Fern

Reaction score
Since the firmware update a couple of months ago, I've had no issues with Bluetooth at all. I suggest keeping your phone or tablet on a music stand near the amp. That at least keeps you from bending over every time you need to make adjustments.

I'm not sure why it's such a big gripe about the master volume either. My 5275 was the same way and I've been fine getting a proper volume with both. Just turn the knob slowly...
It's just when you're trying to bring the master under the "2" mark. It goes silent. Maybe an addition of master volume fader on the Gateway app would enable to set it just like the others @.something and all.

mazzefr

Reaction score
It's just when you're trying to bring the master under the "2" mark. It goes silent. Maybe an addition of master volume fader on the Gateway app would enable to set it just like the others @.something and all.

As I said, turn it slow. I understand the essence of the complaint, I just don't have an issue being accurate with the knob. It's a knob...

Antmax

Reaction score

Mine works fine from about 1.0. I have to use an editor to set the EQ volume between 0.1 and 0.9. I usually have the Master Volume between 1 and 3 and the EQ volume as low as 0.1 for bedroom playing and as high as 5.

It would be more of a nuisance if my CODE wasn't permanently hooked up to my PC via USB. I use the standalone windows editor to adjust the amp 90% of the time.

Last edited:

Quoman7

Reaction score
What @Antmax said. I only jam to backing tracks (I'm set up in the spare room or garage), so distance is not a problem for me.

The only issue I have is the Gateway app sometimes doesn't connect to the CODE. The BT is connected, but Gateway doesn't "see" the amp. Not all the time, but I'd say maybe 30-40%. And I set my phone on top of the amp when I'm connecting.
I find if you turn the amp on first then activate the gateway app it connects straight away!

mbell75

Reaction score
Hey guys. My Code 50 is making an awful 60s cycle hum/static sound when playing a note. Its completely silent just sitting there but if you hit an open string, as the note starts to fade, I get this static sound that doesn't stop until the note completely dies out or I put my hand over the strings. Overdrive channels are worse than the clean channels too. Happens with several guitars. Bad amp or do they all do this?

mazzefr

Reaction score
Make sure your phone or tablet is in a position where it doesn't cause noise as well.

Antmax

Reaction score
The him can come from a lot of places. Of you leave usb connected changing the port can help. External hubs can make a lot of noise.

Computers, routers, wireless mice and keyboards can make a squealy digital noise if you have single coil pickups.

If your in the USA. Here in California a lot of American buildings older than mid 70s aren't grounded and can be prone to a lot of noise.

With computers. If you have a notebook. Unplugging it from AC and running from battery will prevent hum and tell you if your AC wiring is the problem.

I had a lot of problems in my older home.