• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

New Marshall Time

• Thread starter oldGNRfan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oldGNRfan

Reaction score
Hey guys. How is everyone? Now is there a Marshall that can do early Metallica stuff (Pre The Black Album) without an OD and stuff like Van Halen and Randy Rhoads and Slash. Preferably a ONE CHANNEL AMP, but if it is more I will think about it, no effects, and Combo. I have a shitty amp now and I need something to mate with my Les Paul. PLEASE HELP! I have been debating this for a long time in my head. I'M GOING CRAZY!!!

Vintager12

Reaction score
Plexi but i you wanna get the max out of the plexi you will need an OD pedal and a THD hot plate. Or a VM ? JCM 2000, maybe a JCM 800 ?

danielNoble

Reaction score
iv played metallica through a jcm 2000 and it worked nicely.. better than my jcm 800..

danielNoble

Reaction score
i think if you chose the right pedal (with the right amp) youd get an even closer sound to the one you want

Riffraff

Reaction score
I don't know about the early Metallica stuff but a 2266C can do VH, RR & Slash duty nicely. I don't see why it wouldn't pull off early Metallica. I don't recall their guitar tones being overly gain saturated. They were actually a little clean and articulate otherwise the super fast riffs would have been lost in the mud.

Vintager12

Reaction score
I don't know about the early Metallica stuff but a 2266C can do VH, RR & Slash duty nicely. I don't see why it wouldn't pull off early Metallica. I don't recall their guitar tones being overly gain saturated. They were actually a little clean and articulate otherwise the super fast riffs would have been lost in the mud.

I think a lot of amp's can do those styles, but the VM would be the best. RR and VH is no problem, the slash tones come so close... I have for 95 % the appetite sound with my VM! I never played metallica with it too but, i'm pretty sure it's possible too.

oldGNRfan

Reaction score
Okay. So it is down to the JCM 800 and the VM. If possible, I would like to know why you choose one over the other. THANKS! I know this is off topic, but if any Philliy fan is out there and you haven't heard about it yet, HARRY KALAS JUST PASSED ON! RIP Harry-1936-2009. You will be missed:(

Ken

Reaction score
You know, I think the fingers are as important as the amp if you want to "sound like" another guitarist. I bet Slash sounds more like himself with a Telecaster through a Fender Twin that most people with an LP through a Marshall will.

Ken

oldGNRfan

Reaction score
You know, I think the fingers are as important as the amp if you want to "sound like" another guitarist. I bet Slash sounds more like himself with a Telecaster through a Fender Twin that most people with an LP through a Marshall will.

Ken

That is also a good point.

Vintager12

Reaction score
I would go for a VM combo, It has much more gain available as a JCM 800. But they are both great amps.

Latest posts