New member, trying to further identify the year, etc. of a JCM 800 2203 Lead Series

• Thread starter Maxwell Graf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maxwell Graf

Reaction score
There is a distinct possibility that I may be able to buy this amp head from a neighbor whose husband passed away earlier this year. He had this JCM 800 for many years, covered, I never heard him play it. It is in as new a condition as I've seen one, played perhaps a handful of times in total and never taken out of the bedroom it was in. Has all original tubes and paperwork, its mint. I looked inside and the only information I could find to identify it was a sticker on top of the transformer (shown in pics). Any help on identifying this is greatly appreciated. This seems to be a quite rare beast. I played my 2016 Gibson V through an early Behringer 4x12" cabinet I have with Jensen Special Design Chicago Series CH12 70w (prior to the "Mod" speakers) and I got it to about 2 before the windows were rattling. He has 2 cabinets with it that were the MG412 (with the lower rated Celestion speakers in it, not the vintage/greenbacks) that were purchased separately but also in mint condition. This head has never been pushed hard, I believe he played other amps he had in the room for practice, but this was his baby and looks to be spanking new.

It has EL34 Marshall tubes made in Russia, original transformers, etc. From What I gather this seems to be an 2203 X model reissue, but I cant identify it. I believe it was purchased in 2015 or so, which is also a number on a sticker on the back. Is my estimate that this is about a $2500 head correct or am I way off?

Thank you in advance from new guy.

Attachments

• amp1.png
    amp1.png
    769.8 KB · Views: 27
  • amp2.png
    amp2.png
    844.7 KB · Views: 27
  • amp3.png
    amp3.png
    827.8 KB · Views: 30
  • amp5.png
    amp5.png
    785.4 KB · Views: 29
  • amp6.png
    amp6.png
    862.7 KB · Views: 29

67mike

Reaction score
Usually the first 2 numbers of serial number are year of production on recent Marshalls.

Seeing 15 codes on tube and tranny....probably a 2015 or 2016.

Rodical

Reaction score
Almost looks like the tag says 2015... Fuzzy zooming close up...

Latest posts