New Old Amp Day: My Jtm60 3x10 Also Known As Jtm 610

• Thread starter snshami
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

snshami

Reaction score
Just thought I would start a thread on a new journey I have just started on.

I own a Marshall DSL40c that I just love. For a month now I had been looking at getting a second amp my son can use so we can jam. After looking at many amps including a Vox AC10 and Blackstar HT20 I stumbled upon this beauty, a JTM60 with 3 10" Eminence drivers that someone had advertised on Gumtree for A$800.

The price was negotiable. The person, a guitar teacher and a top bloke, had gotten the amp in a non working state from a friend and had gotten it repaired by Clingan Guitars in Fitzroy. It got a new rectifier unit and two new power tubes. It also got a good clean and service.

I asked him for his best price and he told me about A$500.

Anyway after researching the amp and discovering that they needed some mods to run reliably I decided to offer A$350. Clingan told me the mod would at least be $120 if not more.

I got a feeling that he had too many amps and that the amp had not really cost him much to repair. Anyway he accepted my offer.

I brought the amp home and had a play with it. It was close to midnight so we ran it at bedroom levels. After about 15 minutes I could feel that left metal bit on the handle starting to get quite warm.

IMG_1121_zpsmmk2wu96.jpg

When I looked at the amp and saw how simple the layout was I decided to try the plate mod myself.

Next day I bought some aluminium plate and to cut a long story short I added the plate above and to the left of the power tubes so heat from the tubes no longer directly goes to the transformer or the electronic components above the tube.

I tried a modified version of some of the ideas I had seen and read about on the internet.

My shield is attached to the underside of the grille that forms part of the floor of the head. I did not need to drill any holes and instead bolted to the grille using washers to retain the nuts. I used around 2mm thick black powder coated aluminium plate that I scuffed, on the side facing the tubes, to a very matt finish. I removed the powder coating on the top side and polished it using 2000 grit sand paper till it was shiny and reflective. I used rubber grommets to insulate the bolts from the plate and to provide a standoff to the underside of the head unit of about 2.5mm. The width of the plate is exactly the right dimension so it makes a firm contact with the tube cage when I put that back on.
IMG_1119_zps53ttdccz.jpg

My logic is that the matt black finish facing the tubes will pull heat from the tubes and spread it evenly across the aluminium material. (I did not want the plate to reflect the heat back onto the tubes). The shiny top surface will inhibit radiation into the head unit. The size of the plate and the fact that it is in contact with the cage means that heat is spread evenly through the cage and into the whole chassis of the amp. Because it is now a very big heat sink very little heat will rise in the form of convection.
IMG_1118_zpshtvqp0wf.jpg

In order to do this I had to remove the amp head from the plywood housing (I think it is plywood). This showed me a few things. Firstly the PCBs, wiring and all other componentry showed no sign at all of heat damage. The wires were not brittle or discoloured and the PCB looked in a pretty good shape. I also realised that to a large extent the hysteria about the capacitors being directly above the tubes is complete nonsense. They are not. The underside of the head (its floor) has a grille portion. The tubes are below the grille and vent directly into the head unit. The reason for the grille is not immediately obvious. Maybe at some stage there was meant to be a vent at the top of the amp. The electronics are above the solid part of the floor. No electronic components are directly in the path of convective currents. At the most they would receive some radiated heat off the power tubes.
Marshall%20JTM60%201_zpshyyopeg0.jpg

Of course the fact that the tubes vent hot air into the head electronics and the fact this hot air has nowhere to go does not make very much sense. I can just speculate that this was not meant to be one of the main products that Marshall produced in that era and it might not have had enough money for R&D. Maybe there was negative feedback against using vents on top of amps and maybe they did their testing on a cold winters day. Regardless of the reason, it is not an optimal design.

Another point is of course that even though the tubes can get upto 70 degrees (or 160F) that is below the heat capacity of rubber, plastic, PCB materials and electronic components. It is true that heat affects electronic components and that there is an inversely proportional relationship between heat and life of components but still this amp would have had a mean rated life of over 10 years for a gigging musician.

I think the number of people who came across issues would be small but justifiably vocal because there is no doubt that heat will increase the warranty and repair rate.

Anyway back to my amp. After testing for 30 minutes the top handle was completely cool and the cage was very uniformly, but very manageably, warm. The heat is now managed very well.

The amp has Sovtek 6L6 power tubes installed and is otherwise in great condition so I feel that for A$350 I have gotten the bargain of the century.

I have not yet had a chance to really listen but whatever I have heard impresses me a lot. My very quick first impression suggests it is more laid back than the DSL40c and lacks some of that amp's bottom end which is surprising given that the 3x10 drivers equal 2x12 so it should be pumping twice the amount of air that the DSL does. The JTM does not cover the tonal range that the DSL40c does, which goes into insane territory with hot enough pickups.

Of course this was playing both at very low volume. Both amps are of course very different. The JTM has a master volume and I need to get used to that. Also there will need to be some familiarisation time. I am sure over the days I will learn and discover a lot.

I will add images and my further impressions over the next few days.

Apologies for the long post and am happy to hear from other JTM owners, present or past.

Does anyone know how much this amp would have cost in 1995. It cannot have been cheap with all the features and being made in England. I have heard people call it a budget model which is surprising given it has 3 US made Eminence drivers, separate EQ channels, two effects loops, a DI out, both before and after the power amp and its made in England.

Last edited:

30watt

Reaction score
I remember the ads at the time in guitar magazines. They used Mellencamp's one-time guitar player who said something like "I'd rather be using a 100 watt Plexi, but let's face it, that's not always practical. So this amp is perfect for club gigs". Not even close to exact words, but that was the gist.

I played with the 30 watt 2 x 10 version in a supplied backline gig many years ago, but I can't really remember it. That may be a good thing, because if it was terrible, I'm sure that would have stuck in my mind.

They come up rarely in Australia, and I don't remember seeing them in the stores for long.

Good find for cheap money!

Igor_torcamaniac

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I have added some images. BTW, do you recall what price range they would have sold in.

I'am still the original owner of mine. It is also the version with 3×10".
I bought mine here in Germany in '96 new for 2000 DM. That was before Euros came.
It is a great Amp and after the mods I did probably one of the best amps I ever played sound wise. Stock it's a bit sterile and has very little bass.
Yes it was a bad design especially with the heat from those power tubes. And it's a mess to work on with 3 pcbs and salad wiring inside. :hmm:
Guess the engineers at marshall were drunk or something :cheers:
Anyway, I put 2 mini pc fans inside the chasis and a bigger one outside to the cage in the back. It's pretty cool.
If you want to do the mods I'll try to help. I highly recommend the diode clipping mod at the least and whats very easy is that you put a jumper cable inside your Parallel FX Loop. After that you get a subtle, almost 2nd Master Volume that fattens up the sound.

Here are some pics:

2016-04-29 02.53.03.jpg 2016-04-29 02.52.30.jpg

Igor_torcamaniac

Reaction score
READ BEFORE YOU DO THIS!!!
THE AMPS CONTAIN VOLTAGES THAT CAN KILL YOU. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
-ALWAYS DRAIN THE VOLTAGES BEFORE WORKING ON AN AMP. ALWAYS CONTROL THE VOLTAGES WITH YOUR MULTIMETER
- NEVER PUT BOTH HANDS INSIDE THE AMP CHASIS.
- TO DRAIN THE CAPS VOLTAGE USE A 5 TO 10WATT RESSISTOR(10KOHM). CONNECT TWO CABLES WITH ALLIGATOR CLIPS TO RESISTOR. THAN PUT ONE END OF ALLIGATOR CABLE TO GROUND (CHASSIS) AND THE OTHER CABLE CLIP TO ONE OF THE BIG RESISTORS CLOSE TO BIG FILTER CAPS. LET IT DRAIN A MINUTE AND CONTROL THE VOLTAGE WITH YOUR MULTIMETER.

1) Use the Jumper in parallel FX. Easy.
2) cut the clipping diodes out of circuit. To do this just remove C105 capacitor. You will loose on distortion but this will increase the signal gain and the distortion comes only from tubes now. Very Vintage.
3) remove capacitor R104. Take C120 out and put it in R104's place. The tube will now distort in a wider frequency band.
4) put a 2,2uF cap parallel across the resistor R123. This gives you a bit distortion back.
5) Now, because of removal of diodes the signal increased a lot and we need to tame it down. Replace R126 for 220kOhm and R125 for 330kOhm. It works as a voltage divider and reduces signal a bit. The next one is tricky but important.
6) the Volume pot on boost channel VR6 works very sensitive now because of increased signal. If you turn it a bit you will saturate the stage very fast. So in order to take down the signal a bit more, you need to solder 2 resistors as voltage divider or even better a trimpot to be able too tune and balance the voltage more exactly, after V102B and before the VR6. You can either do this right before the cable CN108 or after CN5. Original mod was to use 2 100kOhm resistors (one to ground and than from the middle where the resistors connect to each other a path to VR6, as to pin 1 of CN108 or CN5, so you basicaly cut the voltage in half.
I used 22kOhm to ground and the first as 100kOhm, so I kinda cut the voltage more to about 1/4. It's basicaly "Vout=Vin x (22k/22k+100k)". Anyway there is very little space to do this. I soldered the resistors to the backside of PCB.
7) replace R116 on the V101A input grid to 22-33k. This rolls off some treble.
8) The next two are the more important mods for bass. Raise Cap C116 to 22n. A mallory cap sound good here.
9) raise the Cap C114 to 22uF. This opens the amp more. The original lower value reduces the bass a lot.
10) At stage V103. Replace R128 to 100kOhm. Replace the cathode resistor R131 to 820 ohm or 1kOhm.

Now the mods I listed are the most important ones. On the pictures below you'll see some more mods in red. I've done only those mentioned above. There are also a few different schematics. It might be that stock values of resistors in your amp are not the same as in some JTM schematics.

index-4.jpeg index-5.jpeg .2016-04-29 07.44.20.jpg
THIS THIRD ONE IS MY EDIT WITH ONLY THE MODS I DID TO MY JTM. Exeption is the second 100kOhm voltage divider to ground. I used 22kOhm instead.

Good luck. As I already mention the inside of the amp is a mess as you've seen yourself so take it easy and slow. Always document and make notes what you do. For example write everything down on a copy of the schematic as you work.

snshami

Reaction score
Wow. That's amazing. I think of all the things you mentioned I can only do 1. I am a mechanical engineer and electronics are a mystery to me. I will first spend a lot of time getting to know this amp and then decide how to proceed. I might find I like it just the way it is.

dreyn77

Reaction score
Yes but once you change the product it's no longer the item we all know as a Marshall.
This item as been updated/modded by Marshall 4 times already so there's zero reason to go changing this item in 2016!
By an amp with the deep switch instead if you want more bass.

snshami

Reaction score
BTW, I have now played this amp quite a bit and so has my son. I have a few observations. It has a nicer clean sound than my DSL40c. The DSL has a nice clean sound but this is better. It is definitely more vintage sounding. The DSL can do many sounds but its a bit more voiced towards sounding modern. On the JTM60 I can so easily dial in the correct sounding tone for Led Zeppelin. The amp is also defnitely more touch sensitive. It is more sensitive to how long it has been switched on. The reverb on the JTM60 is actually extremely good. On the DSL40c I definitely need to use a pedal

I love the DSL40c to the extent that it had become my favourite amp and the only amp I ended up never selling simply because I cannot bear to think of parting with it but I really really love this JTM60 as well.

At the start I was not sure what I would end up doing with the JTM60. Now I know there is no way I am ever going to sell it. It also looks so very cool. I do eventually want to buy a Vox AC10C1 or AC15C1 but the dream of that will take a bit longer to come to fruition.

Igor_torcamaniac

Reaction score
BTW, I have now played this amp quite a bit and so has my son. I have a few observations. It has a nicer clean sound than my DSL40c. The DSL has a nice clean sound but this is better. It is definitely more vintage sounding. The DSL can do many sounds but its a bit more voiced towards sounding modern. On the JTM60 I can so easily dial in the correct sounding tone for Led Zeppelin. The amp is also defnitely more touch sensitive. It is more sensitive to how long it has been switched on. The reverb on the JTM60 is actually extremely good. On the DSL40c I definitely need to use a pedal

I love the DSL40c to the extent that it had become my favourite amp and the only amp I ended up never selling simply because I cannot bear to think of parting with it but I really really love this JTM60 as well.

At the start I was not sure what I would end up doing with the JTM60. Now I know there is no way I am ever going to sell it. It also looks so very cool. I do eventually want to buy a Vox AC10C1 or AC15C1 but the dream of that will take a bit longer to come to fruition.

Just make sure to do something about the heat.

Igor_torcamaniac

Reaction score
Yes but once you change the product it's no longer the item we all know as a Marshall.
This item as been updated/modded by Marshall 4 times already so there's zero reason to go changing this item in 2016!
By an amp with the deep switch instead if you want more bass.

What do you mean by already changed by Marshall 4 times?
Have you ever owned a JTM 60?
Any experience with these?
Do you think Marshall would cut the production of these models in a matter of 8 months, if they were so good in stock form and didn't have reliability issues?
I'm the original owner from 96-97.
And why wouldn't I mod something if it suits me?
The thing about the bass is a minor mod. It's still a Marshall, only a bit better and more reliable than it was stock. The diode cutting makes the drive more classic towards the great JTM 45's.
Anyway, all the JCM's and TSL and DSL's come nowhere close soundwise.
Well okay JCM 800 is a good amp. Some at least:hbang:
Anyway, I really like mine and after these mods I feel even more love to it. And yeah also proud. It's gonna blast on a stage.
Checked it a couple of times recently in a rehearsal room with different people from differebt bands, against all the mesas, peaveys, fenders, bugeras and such.
The others were schocked in amazement.
After that, a few guys were searching the ebay after JTM 60's and 30's.

Last edited:

Igor_torcamaniac

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where you get the current for the fans from.

I didn't connect the fans through the amps power supply.
I connected/soldered the wires from PC fans to a dc jack female. Than I use a normal 9VDC adapter with selectable voltage. Run them on 6 volts.
I think you can even buy a set of 2-3 fans incl. powersupply adapter. Than you won't need to cut and solder the wires yourself.
Check ebay or something.

Igor_torcamaniac

Reaction score
Here's a video of a I think 1x12" or 2x12" from mem
I did do something. The aluminium shield has taken care of most of it. If I need anything further a strategically placed fan will be next.

Let it on a at least an hour. Preferably playing.
Touch the top around handle and the front plate. If it's not too warm you should be okay with only aluminium plate.
Also, my power transformer was getting really warm without fans. Looking from the back on your left (power tubes side), check if it's hot.

slide222

Reaction score
I have the jtm60 2x12 combo and a jtm 2x12 extension cab and mine had a fan fitted when I'm acquired it , but when I run it I keep a 9 inch fan blowing into the tube area- and mine never gets too hot - I have heard reports that these can get so hot , you can't sit on it

now I have also heard that to get the sound out of these that need to run hot , but mine sounds great , quite raw and open , and the only pedal I use is a sonus grey fox wah , and here come the 60's again and a strat just tops it off - this amp is a keeper no doubt about it and will be a collectors amp in the future

the reverb is light but works enough for me these have a small reverb box which could be changed to a bigger one but as I say its enough

Last edited:

snshami

Reaction score
I think the problem is not that it gets hot but rather how the heat is managed . This amp cannot possibly generate more heat than than other amps. All tubes generate heat equally . In this amp the problem is twofold firstly because the transformer is right next to a power tube and second because all the heat from the tubes rises into the amp head area and from here, inexplicably it has nowhere to go.

The solution is to manage the heat better without compromising anything else. I am not convinced fans by themselves are the ideal answer.

I think a combination of solutions is best. I believe the most effective is a heat shield that can shield and disperse the heat and for really hot environments a fan blowing on the back of the shield.

I personally am quite happy with the shield alone.

slide222

Reaction score
I've had mine about 4 months and when I first played it , I looked in the back expecting the fan to blow cool air over the power tubes but it was sucking the hot air out from around them - I admit the 9inch fan blowing over the area where the amp fan pulls the hot air out is over the top , but I figured I'd give it a go as the negative annie's saying they burn out and fail cause they get so hot worried me a bit and I'm was so plzd to get this set up - I picked up the jtm 2x12 extension cabinet in matching crocodile tolex shortly after I brought the jtm 60 amp. and it was ungigged and immaculate , absolutely perfect and not a bad price - my wife loved me , but I told her they are pretty rare and to find one in this condition I had to have it and she agreed, and it sounds f**king amazing , when I was getting use to it , I was very surprized, and thought "that's the marshall sound I have always craved for , yes indeed"......it really starts to come alive when you get it to 5, and I must say when I got it , my neigbours where very understanding for a couple of weeks , well they never said anything,lol

how many of these are around still in working order-it would be interesting to know... and the brilliant THING IS marshall are only about 75ish miles from me and I've had dealings before and they are very fair , so if I do get problems its going there , as I want to keep this one working properly