New Slash Magnatone Specs/Details- UPDATE- NAMM video

• Thread starter jeffb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That dang Slash...copies everything I do. I buy Marshalls, couple years later slash buys Marshalls. I buy Magnatones, couple years later Slash buys Magnatones.

Wait...that wanker is getting them free??

Well, son of a buck...

I've got a Panoramic Stereo 2x10 combo and a Super 59 M80 combo (yes the logo lights up)

They're built like tanks. I dearly love my Panoramic with it's true-to-original stereo vibrato, tremolo and tube driven reverb. Breaks up beautifully when pushed.

The M80 weighs about the same as a Ford Explorer. It's beautiful and has hi and lo gain channels. It's nice sounding, but my trusty old 2203 blows it out of the water. I'm selling it and keeping the Panoramic forever.

Good luck with the Signature 100 head, Slash. Work on yer string bends.

:headbanger:

G-Money5721

Reaction score
I consider myself to be a pretty big Slash fan, but I am so not excited for this. All the stuff I have loved coming from Slash has been done with Marshalls. The Marshall tone works for me, so I’ll be sticking to Marshall. Not that anyone does or should care, but that’s just my opinion.

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And it can be yours for the low low price of only $4899.00 usd!!!

I don't think I'll be getting one.

Can't believe gear prices these days for anything new. Crazy.
Yea you can buy a reissue Marshall Silver Jubilee head for around $2,000, even cheaper if you buy a demo or open box
and that was his sound.

Sacalait

Reaction score
Another rock star jacks his fans. This dude played a fucking Marshall all his life and now says Magnatone is his "signature amp". And I could give a rats azz about how it sounds because it sounds- and looks- like a fucking Marshall the dude has ALWAYS played. Fools born for this shit every day.

RLW59

Reaction score
There are thousands of guys who collect Murphy Lab Gibsons, Collector's Choice Gibsons, Artist Gibsons.

The $50,000 Hammett Greeny replicas sold out very quickly. The "regular production" Custom Shop $20,000 Greeny is selling as fast as they can make them. They sold the entire batch of $25,000 Adam Jones silverbursts. Custom Shop korina V's and Explorers are $10K.

Fender Custom Shop sells lots of $15-25K guitars.

There are people who consider $5K R9's to be their "beater guitars".

And then there are the vintage collectors with stacks of 6 digit guitars.

If you drive a Bentley to work and a Ferrari on the weekends and you're looking to plug your $20K guitar into something, an $8K amp is reasonable. And saves wear and tear on your Dumble.

jeffb

Reaction score
Some of these posts are cracking me up. I hope he sells the p*** out of them to the collectors and people who can afford them. This is not something made for the masses., And frankly neither are most marshal tube amps anymore. Look at the cost of a reissue lately?

Like most of us, his gear choices have changed over the years and decades. He is constantly Chasing tones. Don't we all?

The only constant in his rig since the first album are the guitar strings he uses.

hitbyastick

Reaction score
These are very very nice. Bravo to anyone who can afford one. I just bought my dream amp which is a Marshall. Think of all the beautiful rock N roll that has been created with Marshalls. Don't see that being eclipsed anytime soon, but it does appear the brand is slipping from the things I read here and there. Hope not.

Browneyesound

Reaction score
At that price it better be loaded with all NOS components and Pulsonic speakers + a hand that reaches out once in a while and gives a hand jiggy.
There should also be a mouth at that price point.

jeffb

Reaction score
Andertons have up an interview at NAMM with a couple minute noodle (by Lee) of the amp at low volume.

Apparently Slash has been working with them for a few years and as originally mentioned, has been ghost using M80s with Guns recently. Interesting interview on what Slash is going for now, tonally- more emphasis on power amp and less emphasis on the the preamp gain (Edit for clarity- as he is historically known for with the modded marshalls, jubes and AFD)

Last edited:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I didn't even see their booth at the show... :mad: :pissed: ...

at least, I don't remember, unless I went right past it enroute to something else.

(OT)...

I'll tell you, the show was dismal. As much as people do not want to admit it, the absence of Marshall, Gibson & Fender really takes a residual toll on the show. There were quite a few other companies that didn't show up.

The thing is, w/ that in mind, less celebrities, which made the floors empty. All the Marshall/Gibson/Fender musicians were hard to find, if even there. Many of them decided just to live on w/ the other musical aspirations in life (gigs, recordings, etc.)

I still found a few of the celeb status types.

Interestingly, it ends up that Yamaha was the big dog there. They had the 3rd floor as the sole vendor.

(/OT)...

IDK why all the hate for this amp. This sounds like a good option for many. I like the idea of bringing back big iron... bigger iron...

BIG IRON!!!

You can complain that Marshall was the 1st & they are a copy, but... Marshall could do something about it, if they had the resolve... but refuse to

They could make a bigger, better amp - but they won't...

That's fine, obviously there's a big enough industry for all these Marshall clones... & Marshall

If Marshall chooses to remain, that is...

I do find it interesting, that they are semi-copying Marshall's style, w/ the AFD, & even w/ the Blues Breaker head/cab looking thing. I think it looks stylish - why hadn't Marshall done that over the years? :shrug:

sometimes it comes down to - you snooze, you lose...

Last edited:

anitoli

Reaction score
IDK why all the hate for this amp. This sounds like a good option for many. I like the idea of bringing back big iron... bigger iron...

You can complain that Marshall was the 1st & they are a copy, but... Marshall could do something about it, if they had the resolve... but refuse to

They could make a bigger, better amp - but they wont...

That's fine, obviously there's a big enough industry for all these Marshall clones... & Marshall

If Marshall chooses to remain, that is...
The company that was the de-facto 800lbs gorilla in the amp world for at least 4 decades has suddenly acquired a bad case of low testosterone. Considering what the company has in manufacturing capability, experience in sales , marketing, designing, there should be no reason they can't make Friedman and the others eat their shorts. Marshall should even have the clout to make an amp every bit as good or better than the pro clones are and sell it at a cutthroat price just to put the pinch on the competition. The question is does this company have the will? Doesn't look like it does sadly.

jeffb

Reaction score
Even though Lee was prob not the best person to demo this amp..even for this little noodle... you can hear it's got some serious tone goods, and that's probably the best recording Andertons have ever done of an amp- they usually make everything sound like a boss modeller on their channel.

What?

Reaction score
that's probably the best recording Andertons have ever done of an amp- they usually make everything sound like a boss modeller on their channel.

Yep. Straight in, no post effects, single mic. Nice sounding amps, both of them.

Geeze

Reaction score
Unfortunately for Marshall, like many companies who dominated their industry, have gotten stale as they focus on protecting profit vs innovating for profit. IBM in the 80's, the big three auto companies in the late 60's / 70's [Remington and Colt more times than that] all changed their focus to protection of profit, believing that their customers would continue to support them even though they produce lukewarm products at best and all of them almost died. Electronic cash registers saved IBM not sure the US auto industry has ever regained their balls.

Sorry for the thread derail.

Russ

Resident 217

Reaction score
9edited) after a listen, sounds like a good guitar amp and that's wonderful.