New T75s vs Classic Lead 80s in x pattern with Marshall G12 Vintage speakers?

• Thread starter SpacedOutAce
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SpacedOutAce

Reaction score
I have T75s on the way from Mojotone. Then today, I saw Stew Mac has Classic Lead 80s on sale (20% off). Should I send back the T75s and get the Classic Lead 80s to pair with the Marshall G12 Vintage speakers or keep the T75s?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently had some T-75's paired with some G12 Vintage and I could barely hear the 75's.
I have no knowledge of the Lead 80's. :shrug:

Lily_Taeko74

Reaction score
Love the Classic Leads and they just don't get enough use from many people, I think it's due to everyone wanting a piercing thin sound a la V30s. They sound big for 80 watts and pair well with the 12-75 , 12-65 and V30s. I currently paired mine with a Weber Silver Wolf and it's a huge sound. Heavy emphasis on the lows and low-mids with a very smooth top end. In a mid heavy amp there's some added thunk and added headroom is amazing!!!

Reaction score
I have T75s on the way from Mojotone. Then today, I saw Stew Mac has Classic Lead 80s on sale (20% off). Should I send back the T75s and get the Classic Lead 80s to pair with the Marshall G12 Vintage speakers or keep the T75s?
You like the 75’s with V30’s there brutal keep’em

myklomaniac

Reaction score
I'm waiting on delivery (for over 6 months) of a 1936V cab with G12Vs. Already have the 1936 with T75s. Not sure if I'll stack them or do a side by each. If the 1936 cab can handle more wattage than the 1936V, based on speaker input capacity, which would probably be the louder pair? I know it's only a few watts. I'm thinking the 1936V cab would be slightly louder?
I'm just a casual player, loud enough to annoy the neighbors, and other woodland creatures.

RLW59

Reaction score
I'm waiting on delivery (for over 6 months) of a 1936V cab with G12Vs. Already have the 1936 with T75s. Not sure if I'll stack them or do a side by each. If the 1936 cab can handle more wattage than the 1936V, based on speaker input capacity, which would probably be the louder pair? I know it's only a few watts. I'm thinking the 1936V cab would be slightly louder?
I'm just a casual player, loud enough to annoy the neighbors, and other woodland creatures.
Power handling has nothing directly to do with volume. (You can pump more power into a speaker with higher power handling, so it may be possible for it to go louder than a speaker with a lower limit, but only if you're using a more powerful amp to drive it.)

G12T-75 sensitivity is 97db (how loud it is when driven by 1 watt), V30 is 100dB. So even though the V30's have lower power handling they're significantly louder than T-75's.

1936V comes with 70 watt Marshall-branded G12 Vintage speakers made by Celestion, but Celestion doesn't publish specs for the G12V. But they're similar to V30's so about the same sensitivity.

myklomaniac

Reaction score
T
Power handling has nothing directly to do with volume. (You can pump more power into a speaker with higher power handling, so it may be possible for it to go louder than a speaker with a lower limit, but only if you're using a more powerful amp to drive it.)

G12T-75 sensitivity is 97db (how loud it is when driven by 1 watt), V30 is 100dB. So even though the V30's have lower power handling they're significantly louder than T-75's.

1936V comes with 70 watt Marshall-branded G12 Vintage speakers made by Celestion, but Celestion doesn't publish specs for the G12V. But they're similar to V30's so about the same sensitivity.
Thanks for the input.
So a speaker that has a lesser ability to handle power (V30) is likely to be louder when driven by the same power as one that can handle a little more (T75), which was my hypothesis in the prior post.
Now, can you do something about the repeated delays in delivering my 1936V? ;)

RLW59

Reaction score
T

Thanks for the input.
So a speaker that has a lesser ability to handle power (V30) is likely to be louder when driven by the same power as one that can handle a little more (T75), which was my hypothesis in the prior post.
Now, can you do something about the repeated delays in delivering my 1936V? ;)
Again, power handling and volume are separate. With 1 watt input, a 200 watt EVM-12L is just as loud as a 60 watt V30.

And at 1 watt, a 25 watt G12M-25 is within 1 dB of a 75 watt G12T-75.

CL80 is 99dB so virtually the same but slightly less than the V30.

Some low-power speakers are very sensitive, some aren't. Same for high-power speakers -- some are more sensitive than others.

("Sensitivity" is also referred to as "efficiency".)

Power handling is about the heat tolerance of the voice coil and the limits of cone motion. Sensitivity is about magnet strength, stiffness of the suspension, weight of the cone.

Lily_Taeko74

Reaction score
I recently had some T-75's paired with some G12 Vintage and I could barely hear the 75's.
I have no knowledge of the Lead 80's. :shrug:
a very underrated speaker, depends on what you do with them. I found they're excellent in an Engl considering most Engls run with 6L6 and the Classic Leads tighten up those flabby lows and really delivers the meaty guitar riffs. In a mid heavy amp the focus is shifted like in a Marshall. Nothing sounds thin or whimpy with a Classic Lead loaded in em

neikeel

Reaction score
Having blown two original 65s (from same cab and must have been weak) in my 5010 converted to 2204 I replaced them with a new Classic lead 80 from local firm Lean Business (also 20% discount). Sounds fantastic - surprisingly so for new speaker. Let my son loose on it outside with a pointy EMG to break it in - sounds huge!
Not tried any subtle stuff yet but a good rock/metal speaker for sure. The 65s tend to smooth brittle amps out and the 75s I’ve had are mid ground and not as thin as V30s can be.

VBCheeseGrater

Reaction score
Lead 80s. Full throated speaker.

"Full throated" that's a great term to describe a speakers sound, first thing that comes to mind when I hear it is a V30, with it's "bark" that when I first played through I thought "holy smokes I've been missing an entire chunk of guitar tone". Is that the general implication of the term?

Karl Brake

Reaction score
"Full throated" that's a great term to describe a speakers sound, first thing that comes to mind when I hear it is a V30, with it's "bark" that when I first played through I thought "holy smokes I've been missing an entire chunk of guitar tone". Is that the general implication of the term?
That's exactly what I was trying to say. I stumbled across them in a nice cab Egnater made, an oversized 2x12 with Lead 80s. Just about as full of a guitar tone you could find. My band mates loved them. Underloved and underknown speaker.

Lily_Taeko74

Reaction score
That's exactly what I was trying to say. I stumbled across them in a nice cab Egnater made, an oversized 2x12 with Lead 80s. Just about as full of a guitar tone you could find. My band mates loved them. Underloved and underknown speaker.
if you like the Classic Lead there's a few other speakers that do what they do just as good.

1. Eminence Man-o-War - At a rated 120 watts these speakers have a strong low to low-mids. The mids are relaxed but don't think they're scooped or thin, turn up the mids too much and they will bite your head off. The treble is more chimey than glassy like a Classic Lead but that amazing amount of headroom. I just tried one in my JCM900 and 2000 and honestly, I like it a lot. I might consider these in the future for another amp.

2. Weber Silver Wolf - another 100 watt beast this one is amazing and I just got my hands one a while back and I REALLY wish I had gotten it years ago. Like the Classic lead you have a strong low to low mid shift, the volume is a touch more piercing than the CL but nothing that would sound harsh. The treble is glassy as the CL but I found it to be VERY smooth with an almost shimmering edge when played clean, especially for guys who love Teles, vintage P90s and folks who love Gretsch style pickups.

3. Fane Crescendo - 100 watts as well and a VERY rare speaker if anything. I only had a chance to play a Hiwatt with a 412 loaded with these. These are the stuff legends are made of, David Gilmour used them at the height of Pink Floyd's prime. From what I remember they're very neutral sounding with a mix of chime and warmth, depending on what you throw at you'll get what you like in return. With humbuckers they're not flabby at all and sound tight and consistent with gain, single coils in strats have some muscle in em when the gain is dialed in, nothing sounds thin. All in all they belong in this list but like I said, if you're going down this path these are VERY expensive speakers

honorable mentions:
Mesa Black Shadow MC90 - People often get told these are rebranded CL80s...THEY ARE NOT! They sound SIMILIAR but there's a lot going on. In my Engl they weren't as tight in the lows, the mids are not as relaxed, more complex here than anything, and the treble isn't that fine glassy touch like a CL80. In a bright amp they might do the trick but considering they cost MORE than a UK made CL, its a toss up

Celestion Modern Lead 70 - these speakers get mentioned as the worse sounding speakers so and so anyone has. Honestly I don't think so, they do well in a mid heavy amp. Like the MC90 and the CL80 they have that tight low end. I put one in my Blackstar Artisan 15 and it smoothed out a lot of that harsh treble. Again a very neutral sounding speaker, with mids more akin to the G12T-75 and the treble isn't glassy but there's some fizz with too much high gain. OK in my book

Weber Bloodhound - Rated at 100 watts with a 2" voice coil these things are known for their cannonlike destruction. Throw some fuzz its way and it takes it like a champ. The lows are tight, I tried these in my Marshall, Engl and Fender and had good results. The only amp it didn't sit with was the Mesa ElectraDyne, that was too scooped and nothing was singing. Not even the birds LOL. Jokes aside its a great speaker if you have a mid heavy amp like a Marshall. The highs are articulate and crisp so don't think you'll get lost in the mix, if you fear that then mix this with a V30 or a Weber Blue Dog

Last edited:

Lily_Taeko74

Reaction score
One more thing of note, I found Weber makes a very good Fane Crescendo clone at exactly 100 watts with the aluminum dustcap just like the originals
weber-fc12-cone.jpg