New To Biasing: Advice?

• Thread starter Ren335
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ren335

Reaction score
Just got interested in biasing my 2555x Silver Jubilee, but I've got no experience doing this. I was hoping I could get some advice on the whole process before I even start. All I know is that around 70mv is a good number for the tubes. Any saftey precautions since the amp needs to be all the way on while I'm doing this?

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Agree. With external bias ports, bias should be a breeze.

I just change the power tubes on my stock JVM410H last weekend. One of the things I did before installing the new tubes was that I turned the bias pots way down with the old tubes installed (I could have done this with no tubes in the amp as well, but I was curious about the bias measurement at the lowest setting. The reason I turned down the bias was: 1) I was installing power tubes that were a little different in the specs what was previously installed, and 2) so that none of the tubes start red plating on me in case one was bad. Additionally, I highly suspected that the previous tubes were going bad, so I didn't want to install new tubes using a bias pot setting from the previous tubes. If the previous tubes were not worn to death and/or if I was using the same exact power tube as previously installed, then maybe I would just leave the bias pots alone, but I decided to error on the side of caution and slowly turn things up with the new power tubes.

What I described is no hard and fast rule but rather a particular way of doing things for my particular situation. If all is well with your current power tubes and you are confident in the quality of the new power tubes, you can just install the new ones and proceed with checking the bias for the new power tubes (write down whatever setting you choose). Then, after an 30 minutes to an hour of playing, recheck the bias measurement; if the bias measurement has drifted from what you previously installed, then you can adjust it if you like (write down your measurements again). Then, play you amp again for another 30 minutes to an hour and recheck the bias; if there is less change in the bias measurement, you can either make one last adjustment or just leave it. Maybe in two weeks (or at the end of February) you can recheck the bias again to see if it's holding steady. Most properly functioning amps and properly functioning power tubes will require checking/adjusting the bias 2-3 for new power tubes before the power tubes "settle."

But it's your amp: feel free to check the bias as often as you like. The bias pots and test points are external on the 2555X, so it's really no hassle anyways. Good luck with your gear and hope you are enjoying your amp.

Ren335

Reaction score
I know this is a real rookie question, but what multimeter do I buy and how do I use one? People say use whichever, but I don't exactly know what settings to use. What setting should the multimeter be pointing to? (All I see is 20mA, 200mA, 200V, etc. Which do I choose!?)

Any help is very much appreciated.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
In your case as you want to read something in the 70mA scale, set it to the closest number above that, in your example, 200mA.
Get anything with a digital display they're easier to read. Place neg probe on the neg pin on 2555 and positive on the correct pin for first side. Take the reading. Then do same for second side. They're easy to run for that type of application.

VanR

Reaction score
Harbor Freight Multimeters are like $6. I wouldn't risk an expensive Fluke or something doing biassing on amps. This is the one I use. I keep my bias probe hooked to it at all times and use this meter just for working on my amps.
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-63759.html

Gutch220

Reaction score
...I was gonna say....Harbor Freight sometimes gives them away for free if you buy something else.

Jeff Hudson

Reaction score
Just got interested in biasing my 2555x Silver Jubilee, but I've got no experience doing this. I was hoping I could get some advice on the whole process before I even start. All I know is that around 70mv is a good number for the tubes. Any saftey precautions since the amp needs to be all the way on while I'm doing this?
As a add on, when you are setting bias, there is a balancing act going on between the pairs. So you will need to check the opposite pair when you adjust one side until they balance out. I always do this with my amps, because it seems to help sound and tube life, or it's just because I get my OCD fix in.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
I know this is a real rookie question, but what multimeter do I buy and how do I use one? People say use whichever, but I don't exactly know what settings to use. What setting should the multimeter be pointing to? (All I see is 20mA, 200mA, 200V, etc. Which do I choose!?)

Any help is very much appreciated.
Buy the most expensive multimeter you can afford.

Bias the 2555X at approximately 84mA per side.
Tell me how you like it. :)

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
I had some cheaper multimeters, readings all over the place. I couldn’t even get a solid reading in my wall voltage when I was trouble shooting a household breaker problem. I did buy a Fluke, it was more meter than I’ll ever need but it gives rock-solid readings for building and working on amps.