Newb asks stupid question...

• Thread starter FMTDee
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blisster

Reaction score
you can get non-custom Etymotic research earplugs from amazon.com for about 10.00. They don't modify the sound at all, nothing is muffled, can hold a conversation, play at full volume, whatever. I keep a set in my guitar case, and have a set for when I attend gigs. They're awesome.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETYPlug-Protection-Earplugs/dp/B0044DEETC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299699893&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Etymotic Research ER20 ETYPlug Hearing Protection Earplugs, Large Clear Stem with White Tip (Clear): Electronics[/ame]

:edit: these are the -20dB flavor. I think I actually use the -12dB version.

FMTDee

Reaction score
I also got ethymotic earplugs for live situation. It's good, but it deforms the sound a bit (a lot less than standard foam plug though) and you'll hear yourself inside your head (breathing, signing very loud).

Etymotic Research, Inc. - ETY-Plugs ER20 High Fidelity Earplugs

BUT, I totally agree that a 100watts tube head is a ridiculous choice for 99% of guitar players. People want to buy what their idols play, or what they hear on their favorite albums. But they forgot that thier idols plays stadium!!!! or that they set these amps to broiled on a recording booth and get out of the room, behind the board, where the final volume is controled...

Playing a tube amp with the master set to 0.5 defeats the whole point of having a tube amp.

I only use my DSL100 in live situation. My 4x12 stays in the car, because I don't need it at home... for practice I play a blackstar ht-5 into a 1x12 or 2x12 and it sounds 10000 times better than my Marshall at that same volume... There's so many good pratice amps that people who don't do gigs should buy, but they are brainwashed by these Marshall walls that they see at rock shows, and think that a combo would not sounds as good...

I know a lot of people will disagree and say that a full stack is the best thing on earth for every situation, but I strongly believe that a full size Marshall head is a wrong choice for many players.

here's a summary

1. You get a too big amp for home use:

1.a You keep it low and sounds awfull, waste of money

1.b You cranked it and
- become deaf
- get tinnitus
- pissed off your neighbourhood
- loose your girlfriend
- wear earplugs
- buy an attenuator
- make a isolation box for your cab that you miced up
- isolate the whole room
- remove tubes, or use low powered tube

2. You get a small amp:
You cranked it and enjoy.

HAHA! I know it's a little over the top! ahahhahaha!

These are all very good points, and all things that I considered when looking for a new amp.

Problem is, I tried the combo route, and couldn't find anything with substantial enough low-end for what I needed it for. I wanted bottom-heavy capability, and I couldn't find any combos that sounded like I wanted. Well, I take that back--I liked the closed-back Haze 40, but my posts elsewhere on this forum will tell you how that turned out. Short version: tube rattle and microphonics in all FIVE that I tried (which really sucked, because other than that I loved its warm sound).

Bottom line: the sound I wanted seemed to be a little big for a combo. But if anyone can suggest a loud combo with bright-to-warm cleans and thick bottom-end, I'm open to suggestions.

Oh yeah... And when I was tossing all this around on this forum, damn near everybody told me to ditch the combos and go the head route.

Username2

Reaction score
Man what a bunch of pussy comments, crank the damm amp and play. Can we agree that nothing sounds better then a cranked 100 watt Marshall, screw small amps they suck. Man I am getting to old for todays wuss player, I been in front of stacks since the 70s and I hear fine.

tonefreak

Reaction score
man what a bunch of pussy comments, crank the damm amp and play. Can we agree that nothing sounds better then a cranked 100 watt marshall, screw small amps they suck. Man i am getting to old for todays wuss player, i been in front of stacks since the 70s and i hear fine.

amen.

And amen

and amen again.

FMTDee

Reaction score
Man what a bunch of pussy comments, crank the damm amp and play. Can we agree that nothing sounds better then a cranked 100 watt Marshall, screw small amps they suck. Man I am getting to old for todays wuss player, I been in front of stacks since the 70s and I hear fine.

...because it's so stupid for a musician to want to retain their hearing.

:wtf:

Skotosynthesis

Reaction score

I don't know who this guy Nuke is, but he rules.
We need more people like this. I'm tired of dealing with pussies.
I'm starting to think at least 90% of people are now pussies.
People who claim to be "rockers" are now giving me the same evil-eye condescending bullshit attitude I used to get from church people for playing loud music.
I get enough of that from mall-walking squares and yuppie bitches with dogs in their purses.
Feel like an outcast in my own group of "outcasts."
I know somebody out there knows what I'm talking about.

Landshark

Reaction score
What?! I can't hear you cause I was stupid and played cranked Marshalls for 40+ years with no ear protection!

or...

What?! I can't hear you! Let me take my earplugs out!

... Now what were you saying?

spacerocker

Reaction score
I don't know who this guy Nuke is, but he rules.
We need more people like this. I'm tired of dealing with pussies.
I'm starting to think at least 90% of people are now pussies.
People who claim to be "rockers" are now giving me the same evil-eye condescending bullshit attitude I used to get from church people for playing loud music.
I get enough of that from mall-walking squares and yuppie bitches with dogs in their purses.
Feel like an outcast in my own group of "outcasts."
I know somebody out there knows what I'm talking about.

These guys make me laugh! They claim to be into music, but don't care about their hearing!

These are the same guys who keep adding more and more treble to their sound, convinced that it sounds great, as their hearing gradually deteriorates...

Skotosynthesis

Reaction score
These guys make me laugh! They claim to be into music, but don't care about their hearing!

These are the same guys who keep adding more and more treble to their sound, convinced that it sounds great, as their hearing gradually deteriorates...

At least we get to rock out, in the few years we have.
I believe they're still selling Carpenters cd's down at FYE.

Reaction score
So basically you're saying "I'm a bit scared to drive my ferrari at full speed around the block". And there's people saying "buy a smaller car, and drive the ferrari on a race track" and others saying "you're a wuss, go kill yourself and kill all the kids in town, we're all gonna die anyway... if it's too fast you're too old, you pussy"... omg.

FMTDee

Reaction score
So basically you're saying "I'm a bit scared to drive my ferrari at full speed around the block". And there's people saying "buy a smaller car, and drive the ferrari on a race track" and others saying "you're a wuss, go kill yourself and kill all the kids in town, we're all gonna die anyway... if it's too fast you're too old, you pussy"... omg.

Nice way of putting it. Careful though... There are a few on this forum who don't do well with metaphors. ;)

Pants

Reaction score
How come every time the subject of hearing loss comes up, a fight breaks out? Full stacks are awesome. Practice amps are aptly titled. I wear ear protection. I still can't hear anything.

Blisster

Reaction score
After many years of playing in a band, I've suffered significant hearing damage, and am now doing my best to try and insure I don't go completely deaf before I'm 45 years old.
If that makes me a pussy, then I'd rather be a pussy than a deaf retard.

IbanezMark

Reaction score
Just to touch on some of the things already mentioned..
If you're eq'ing your amp and messing around at high volume, standing directly in front with the speakers below head level really isn't that loud I find.

Off to the side is also another good option. I usually step out front just to verify what I'm hearing, then the ear plugs go in and you're set.

thrawn86

Reaction score
If you're right next to the cab, it doesn't seem too bad. If you're kneeling in front of it, i.e. to mess with a pedal, it can be excruciating. Same thing for being about 6-7 feet back, and in front of the cab. That's usually why I stand just a bit off center.

I think it also matters on whether or not you face the cab. Facing the cab allows your ears to do their natural job quite well, which is catching sound. Turning around doesn't allow the sound quite as clear a path to the eardrum.

Skotosynthesis

Reaction score
lol...
you're right, everybody gets all worked up.
You have people that carry it to either extreme.
I have a 5 watt tube amp w/ 1 12" speaker. Sometimes I crank that little bitch up, and people are covering their ears and yelling "omg turn it down I'm gonna text about how obnoxious you are." These people are pussies and should be listening to Yanni and stop pretending.
Then you have guys that crank a 100 watt full stack plexi and put their head right in it.
These people are just plain missing the point of musicality and tone and just focus on clichés.
I happen to play a full stack at concert volume during practice... because a full stack and ONLY a full stack has that tone and versatility... and I love feedback.
Because the amp has very different dynamics at different volume levels (yes, even attenuated- take away the hot plate, and you get feedback and note-ghosting that you suddenly don't know how to deal with in front of 50+ people,) and when I get on stage, I don't want any surprises. Sure, I should probably wear earplugs. But guess what? I can't hear any damn thing when I do. Big surprise. Furthermore, the music sounds much different when they're in. Different strokes, I know, but my solution is to stand well away from the amp. And yes, at a slight angle. That really does help. Here's a hint: USE LONGER CABLES.
Most of my above ranting? I'm just ragging on you guys.
But I stand beside my statement about most people being overcautious to the extent of missing out on something good... and being downright hypocritical, to boot. You're going to eat trans-fats, smoke cigarettes (which I also do... sue me,) and risk your life every day navigating potentially deadly traffic in a rush to Starbucks on your 30 minute lunch break just for that $5 macchiato, when you could play it safe and get a mountain dew from the office coke machine? Yeah? Well you can let yourself enjoy loud music from time to time, and stop condemning others for having their "druthers," however risky they might be.
Have a good 'un!!!

JayCM800

Reaction score
If you need earplugs to handle your tone...good for you!

If i wanna drink, smoke and crank my amp...it's my choice!

Bye bye liver, lungs and hearing! So what? :cool2:

:jam::band:

:cheers: