NGD: Damnit, I bought another LP. Trad Pro V

• Thread starter TXOldRedRocker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Denis St Guinefort

Reaction score
I had no intention of buying another guitar anytime soon. But, I have an autoimmune arthritis condition that attacks my tendons. It limits flexibility, and creates pain. I'm generally on the lookout for a super slim neck. While in the store, I was checking out the LP's and SG's and came across this guitar. The back of the neck as a lot of grain. It appears that someone at Gibson tried to sand it out. Because this neck is super slim. Other Trad Pro V's were thicker. This neck was thinner than any SG in the house, and there were about 10 of them. The sales guy thought I was full of **it, until he did all the side by side comparisons too. Not a single Gibson guitar was as thin as this. Makes practicing and playing for long periods of time less painful during and after. So I grabbed it. Couldn't pass it up. I'm normally a Standard or Custom Shop guy. But this is still a beautiful guitar and stands apart from its siblings.

This was on the wall and had been played by many, so it was nasty filthy and the strings felt like they had dried honey on them. But, not a mark on it. The guitar has been thoroughly cleaned, conditioned and has new strings. Plus, set up to my liking. A couple of coats of Virtuoso has the neck slick and fast. I don't feel the grain at all, but, of course, I knew that would be the case once I got it home. Happy to add it to my stable of axes.

Happy accidental NGD to me.

View attachment 89896

View attachment 89897

View attachment 89898

I suffered a left hand injury a few years ago resulting from a bad fall. I'd suggest a Squier Super Sonic for much easier playing. It features a 24" scale and the neck is very comfortable. The PU's are OK. These ceased production a year ago or so. Second hand, they are cheap though not bad at all in quality.

Here's a link:

Squier Paranormal Super-Sonic 6-String Electric Guitar - Blue for sale online | eBay

mine is in the same colour (blue)

In a way, it reminds me of a Gibson Firebird who'd had a Fender neck reverse like a Jimi Hendrix. Being much smaller than the Firebirds, it's very light weight, quite small in comparison, and comfortable.

I have two Gibson LP's. Going from these to the Super Sonic makes one feels like Alvin Lee on steroid speed LOL! Even with 10's it's amazingly comfortable.

I'll soon upgrade mine as a project once the lockdown ceases. I'll contact WD Parts to make a pickguard so it becomes a Jr with a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary humbucker pickup.

Here's a review from Total Guitar:

Squier Paranormal Super-Sonic review | Guitar World

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Adieu

Reaction score
Hmm maybe its a Chibson? Or Gibby really does have zero consistency between "identical" models

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
I had no intention of buying another guitar anytime soon. But, I have an autoimmune arthritis condition that attacks my tendons. It limits flexibility, and creates pain. I'm generally on the lookout for a super slim neck. While in the store, I was checking out the LP's and SG's and came across this guitar. The back of the neck as a lot of grain. It appears that someone at Gibson tried to sand it out. Because this neck is super slim. Other Trad Pro V's were thicker. This neck was thinner than any SG in the house, and there were about 10 of them. The sales guy thought I was full of **it, until he did all the side by side comparisons too. Not a single Gibson guitar was as thin as this. Makes practicing and playing for long periods of time less painful during and after. So I grabbed it. Couldn't pass it up. I'm normally a Standard or Custom Shop guy. But this is still a beautiful guitar and stands apart from its siblings.

This was on the wall and had been played by many, so it was nasty filthy and the strings felt like they had dried honey on them. But, not a mark on it. The guitar has been thoroughly cleaned, conditioned and has new strings. Plus, set up to my liking. A couple of coats of Virtuoso has the neck slick and fast. I don't feel the grain at all, but, of course, I knew that would be the case once I got it home. Happy to add it to my stable of axes.

Happy accidental NGD to me.

View attachment 89896

View attachment 89897

View attachment 89898
Nice guitar!

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into those for sure. I bought an Ibanez with a Super Wizard HP neck. Super thin. Maybe the thinest production neck you can buy. I've been playing it a lot, but I'm a Gibson guy, so I was thrilled to find this freak extra thin neck.

I suffered a left hand injury a few years ago resulting from a bad fall. I'd suggest a Squier Super Sonic for much easier playing. It features a 24" scale and the neck is very comfortable. The PU's are OK. These ceased production a year ago or so. Second hand, they are cheap though not bad at all in quality.

Here's a link:

Squier Paranormal Super-Sonic 6-String Electric Guitar - Blue for sale online | eBay

mine is in the same colour (blue)

In a way, it reminds me of a Gibson Firebird who'd had a Fender neck reverse like a Jimi Hendrix. Being much smaller than the Firebirds, it's very light weight, quite small in comparison, and comfortable.

I have two Gibson LP's. Going from these to the Super Sonic makes one feels like Alvin Lee on steroid speed LOL! Even with 10's it's amazingly comfortable.

I'll soon upgrade mine as a project once the lockdown ceases. I'll contact WD Parts to make a pickguard so it becomes a Jr with a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary humbucker pickup.

Here's a review from Total Guitar:

Squier Paranormal Super-Sonic review | Guitar World

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Not rich, but doing OK. Backyard does throw a nice party.

View attachment 89981

Looks fantastic!!! Nice!!. We would do that here if we had room and more than 4 months of spring / summer...

For sure! Everyone deserves what they earn. I was just making a subtle funny while pointing out his schweet stuff too.
Totally get it was a joke. Didn't mean to come across like I didn't. Was just adding a point for TXOldRedRocker. he DOES have a fantastic pad there!

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks fantastic!!! Nice!!. We would do that here if we had room and more than 4 months of spring / summer...

Totally get it was a joke. Didn't mean to come across like I didn't. Was just adding a point for TXOldRedRocker. he DOES have a fantastic pad there!

@Sapient I knew it was a joke. It takes a lot to ruffle my feathers. Old school non-sensitive guy. I was just being a little evasive. Public forum and all. But then I said what the hell and joined in with a picture. You're welcome for a jam and swim any time.
:cheers:

Sapient

 
Reaction score
@Sapient I knew it was a joke. It takes a lot to ruffle my feathers. Old school non-sensitive guy. I was just being a little evasive. Public forum and all. But then I said what the hell and joined in with a picture. You're welcome for a jam and swim any time.
:cheers:

Wow, that's extremely kind of you, bro. I'm quite far away but I do like to keep swimming pool options open! :eddie:

I hear you on the privacy too. You're a man of great taste, TX!

:applause:

giblesp

Reaction score
Great colour, love Wine Red. Lovely grain on the cap.

How much you pay dude? Is the neck officially a slim taper, or just thinner than the official specs would you say?

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great colour, love Wine Red. Lovely grain on the cap.

How much you pay dude? Is the neck officially a slim taper, or just thinner than the official specs would you say?

Thanks!

I think about $1,800.

It's noticeably thinner than a slim taper. I own 4 LP's with slim taper and it's thinner.

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, interesting. Never knew LP necks came slimmer than a slim taper. Looks like you met the guitar for you ;)

I think it started a slim taper. Just got some extra sanding. Compared it one on one with several other slim tapers in the store. They were all the same, except this one was thinner. A freak. Perfect for me.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
HNGD
Beautiful axe Tex
Enjoy that baby, I feel your pain on the wrist deal, I get a gout session in my right wrist, and it swells up so bad I can’t work, eat, yet alone play guitar, so in your case, the slim neck is letting you play with out aggravation, is a priceless investment..
Cheers
Mitch

Latest posts