NGD, finally joined the Gibson Les Paul camp

• Thread starter PelliX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

El Gringo

Reaction score
So, without further ado (because I didn't buy the damn thing to snap pictures of it, but to play it), here's my new Gibson Les Paul Tribute:

Finish: Cheap, not the high gloss stuff you find in the more expensive models. No problem, just sayin'.
Pots: Feel OK, probably not the best, still need to take the covers off and see what lurks beneath.
Switch: Already dodgy, showroom model. Replace that soon.
Switch plate: For some reason Gibson doesn't mount these by default. I asked in the shop whether they had one, eventually they found a knock-off. Awesome... then I noticed Gibson do include it in the bag. Why it's not there by default, I have no clue. Really 'finishes' the look to me.
Pickups: Same as the Studio series. Very nice, actually.
Fretwork: Excellent, what I would expect from a decent Gibson.
Fingerboard: Little rough on the edges where it's glued to the neck. That'll wear down soon enough.
Body: Single piece of wood. Nice. Two-part top.

Comes with a very cheap strap that says Gibson, but in totally different writing. No idea. Ah well, pics or it didn't happen:

full

First pic is actually just outside the shop. ^

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

I must also say, the bag is pretty decent. I was expecting something flimsy like most Fender bags (still a Fender fan, nothing changed, guys...!).
Congrats on a most fine new Les Paul ! Play her in great health and rock out and have fun :headbanger:

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
Congrats, enjoy it. That's a good guitar.

As already been said, the toggle is probably fine. Last year I got an very nice LP but the toggle was sticky and clunky. I just worked it back and forth quite a bit and gave it a shot of electrical spray.

GibsonIntoMarshall

Reaction score
Welcome to the fold. I play Les Paul's almost exclusively. I actually play my 335 a lot at home, but for most gigs, it's a LP. Some songs, I'll switch to a Strat, but there's nights I play just one guitar.

As far as the writing on the strap, that is the original Gibson Logo, so that's why it looks that way. I actually know a guy who uses the strap that came with his LP, I don't! As for the poker chip (lead/rhythm), that gets left off because some people like to see more of their finish. I take off my pick guards to show more. Why pay for a gorgeous finish and hide so much with the guard? For some, it' make sense, but for me, I take it off, and if I pick at the finish: well, at least I could see it before I chipped some away. Under the plastic, there was no view.

Enjoy!!

PelliX

Reaction score
Welcome to the fold. I play Les Paul's almost exclusively. I actually play my 335 a lot at home, but for most gigs, it's a LP. Some songs, I'll switch to a Strat, but there's nights I play just one guitar.

Cool, thanks. I'm still firmly a Tele guy primarily. Also, most things played on a Tele that should be played on an LP sound "cool", albeit different. Some stuff just doesn't work like Guns 'n' Roses and some Led Zeppelin stuff. I was eyeing the 335's a couple of weeks ago, and I would like one, but the LP I is entirely electric and can be played at any volume great or small. I've also got a Strat, and I play stuff on there that needs a whammy bar (surf rock, etc), Hendrix, Pink Floyd, SRV. I could get the tone I wanted for some of the GnR stuff with it, but nowhere near the clarity or sustain. I've got Bare Knuckles Mother's Milk pickups in it, and they do so much so well, I'd never consider swapping them out.

As far as the writing on the strap, that is the original Gibson Logo, so that's why it looks that way.

Yeah, I figured that out later, made a bit of an idiot out of myself, didn't I? :) They still have that logo on their outlets and factories, too.

I actually know a guy who uses the strap that came with his LP, I don't!

Well, you know two now. I was in the shop, looking at straps, and the only thing they had that was decent was a vintage style Fender strap (thin, leather, with shoulder pad) in light brown. If it would have been black, I'd have popped that on one of the Tele's and used the Fender strap on the LP (flame me all you want). Noticed there was one in the bag, and decided "that can wait". I don't do any 'antics' by flinging the guitar around, and I've had a few straps come loose - never dropped the guitar yet.

As for the poker chip (lead/rhythm), that gets left off because some people like to see more of their finish. I take off my pick guards to show more. Why pay for a gorgeous finish and hide so much with the guard?

Yeah, I don't have one of those 'oooohh, aaaahh' finishes. Also, I think the switch by itself looks a bit naked, like an afterthought or even a mod. The same switch plate with a smaller diameter would do it for me, though.

For some, it' make sense, but for me, I take it off, and if I pick at the finish: well, at least I could see it before I chipped some away. Under the plastic, there was no view.

This is very true. :D

Thanks, it's playing very nicely, indeed!

WesChilton

Reaction score
Congrats on the new LP!
Yeah that's a satin nitro finish, it should age nicely, and that red will fade over time some... but not as bad as the original bursts. I have a 2019 LP Standard 50s gold top that weighs a ton but sounds and plays beautifully. I see that the Tribute's are chambered... do you know what it weighs?

PelliX

Reaction score
Congrats on the new LP!
Yeah that's a satin nitro finish, it should age nicely, and that red will fade over time some... but not as bad as the original bursts. I have a 2019 LP Standard 50s gold top that weighs a ton but sounds and plays beautifully. I see that the Tribute's are chambered... do you know what it weighs?

About 8lbs, but I'd have to weigh it for a precise answer. Lemme get back to you on that later...

I've noticed that it starts to resonate quite quickly when you stand in front of a cab at fair volume and I could swear it's the chambers inside. Something to play with... :applause:

RCM 800

Reaction score
About 8lbs, but I'd have to weigh it for a precise answer. Lemme get back to you on that later...

I've noticed that it starts to resonate quite quickly when you stand in front of a cab at fair volume and I could swear it's the chambers inside. Something to play with... :applause:
my second favorite les paul was a chambered studio, very light and rang like a bell. I had to let it go for cash a long time ago and have been on the look out for a good used one now for a long time. Most of the used ones Ive found have been abused lol.

Headache

Reaction score
Congrats!
I love the matte finishes on LPs!

I've got a 17 tribute and it came with a pickguard... Which I promptly removed.

My LPJ nor my BFG did not come with a pickguard and were not drilled for one.

PelliX

Reaction score
Why pay for a gorgeous finish and hide so much with the guard? For some, it' make sense, but for me, I take it off, and if I pick at the finish: well, at least I could see it before I chipped some away. Under the plastic, there was no view.

Well, the satin finish on the back of the neck is going and it's already wearing where I move/rest my right arm. Also, the sharp edge on the fretboard is gone (yay). Ah well, good thing that I like the honest wear look. How the heck do you guys keep them looking so immaculate after years?

It's not a guitar until it's seen some wear, just like it's not a breadboard until it's seen a fire, right.

BlueX

Reaction score
How the heck do you guys keep them looking so immaculate after years?

It's not a guitar until it's seen some wear, just like it's not a breadboard until it's seen a fire, right.
I buy instruments to play, not wall decorations

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats man, your new Tribute looks great, funny thing about Studios and Tribute LPs, they seem to be some of the most loved Les Pauls!

Enjoy in good health man!

PelliX

Reaction score
Thanks, so far so good! I don't know about them being loved. To me they seem to be the "working man's LP", no fancy finish, no fancy frills, just a solid Les Paul with the tone and half the looks. I was talking to the guy in the shop when I bought it and said something like "I'm looking for the tone, not something to impress my buddies with from an optical perspective". He sort of nodded and agreed this was up that street. What is funny, is that from what I can tell it has a single piece neck and headstock. No glue job for the headstock, no heel cap. I'm not the most knowledgeable luthier or wood expert on the planet, but If there's any glue they did a damn good job of hiding it.

mark123

Reaction score
I have a 60s Tribute with P90s in Honeyburst. Plays great. Sounds awesome. Needed a lot to get it to stay in tune though. I hope yours has better tuning stability.

I took off the pickguard and poker chip. Looks better that way. I really like the plain Janes much better than the fancy pants versions.

Phoenix1

Reaction score
HNGD! Congrats! Looks like a tone machine! The gig bags those come with now look pretty sweet!
So, without further ado (because I didn't buy the damn thing to snap pictures of it, but to play it), here's my new Gibson Les Paul Tribute:

Finish: Cheap, not the high gloss stuff you find in the more expensive models. No problem, just sayin'.
Pots: Feel OK, probably not the best, still need to take the covers off and see what lurks beneath.
Switch: Already dodgy, showroom model. Replace that soon.
Switch plate: For some reason Gibson doesn't mount these by default. I asked in the shop whether they had one, eventually they found a knock-off. Awesome... then I noticed Gibson do include it in the bag. Why it's not there by default, I have no clue. Really 'finishes' the look to me.
Pickups: Same as the Studio series. Very nice, actually.
Fretwork: Excellent, what I would expect from a decent Gibson.
Fingerboard: Little rough on the edges where it's glued to the neck. That'll wear down soon enough.
Body: Single piece of wood. Nice. Two-part top.

Comes with a very cheap strap that says Gibson, but in totally different writing. No idea. Ah well, pics or it didn't happen:

full

First pic is actually just outside the shop. ^

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

I must also say, the bag is pretty decent. I was expecting something flimsy like most Fender bags (still a Fender fan, nothing changed, guys...!).
I have a tribute also but tobacco burst. Its nice but also a strat guy. Setups are a little tricky but I did buy a hardshell case for mine. I did actually join the les paul group on FB but those people are very unfriendly so I left them ! Thats is a different bunch of people. 736BAC83-B2A4-4EA0-BEC1-1FA2502DD78C.jpeg

PelliX

Reaction score
:h5:

I liked the Tobacco burst, too - this one rang just a bit better unplugged, so I went with it. More a Tele guy myself, with the Strat as a second, but the LP certainly has crept to a worthy spot in my arsenal!

Nice rig! What's in the Marshall box...??

No idea about any FB groups, if that's F*^$book, then I'm out anyway... :D

Latest posts