• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

NMD: DSL40C Vintage

• Thread starter Maggot Brain
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

end user

Reaction score
Little update,
I was playing lastnight at a fairly low volume on the clean channel and dimed the gain and noticed pretty bad crossover distortion. The amp was retubed by the previous owner so I figured I better check the bias... I usually do with used amps but hadn't gotten around to it yet, found it was biased at 29mv 🤦‍♂️. That explains my crossover, so I biased it up to a solid 38mv and... wow, like a new amp! I thought it sounded good to begin with so to my surprise the DSL40c sounds great 👍. The clean channel is pretty damn amazing imo, I can hear all those wonderful nuances and harmonics, I'm beyond impressed. Granted I've been kinda skewed on the DSLs from reading online, I did open my mind after playing some about a year ago in GC.

DSL40C sounds great, is it a legendary 1959? or 2203? No but that doesn't make it any less amazing, those are pretty high benchmarks so I don't think that's a knock on the DSLs by any means. The DSL40c can definitely hang out with those amps tho, it sounds every bit a Marshall and honestly a great execution on Marshall's part minus the build quality.

I'll forever attest the DSL can capture convincing vibes of all decades of Marshalls. You can dial in a JTM flavor, JMP flavor and JCM flavor all in one amp... Extremely versatile. (For the technical individuals) of course it doesn't sound EXACT, if you want EXACT then buy whatever model you want to replicate EXACTLY, it definitely can do imitations of all those eras of Marshall with it's own flavor.

Lastly.... WTF is up with the potentiometers? They definitely cheaped out on those 🤮

I haven't opened mine yet to bias it but not sure I am going to as it sounds great. I did try swapping a 5751 and a 12at7 between V1 and V2 in it but would up with just a 5751 in V2 and thats the stuff right there. Probably not going to gig it til I get the head shell from Stagecraft. If I remember right I think the original owner said he had it biased and checked out at a shop not too long ago so it's probably already set fine.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Don't these 40c's come biased real hot from the factory? I believe I read the factory spec is 46mv? Is there any reason behind that? Does it sound "best" at that range? Does it have something to do with the Pentode and Triode switch for half power?

Just curious if anyone has more info on that.

Matt Lohr

Reaction score
I have the same amp. $500 used. I also only use the green channel and use OD pedals. I’ll stack 2 or 3 and it gets a really nice breakup, almost “fuzzy”. I have been playing with using the red channel as a “clean” (near clean I guess) boost. We’ll see.

I did replace the speaker with an Eminence Governor and it’s much fuller.

I play clubs that mic and some that don’t. It has zero issues keeping up “un-mic’d”, even at just 40 watts.

It’s a keeper.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't these 40c's come biased real hot from the factory? I believe I read the factory spec is 46mv? Is there any reason behind that? Does it sound "best" at that range? Does it have something to do with the Pentode and Triode switch for half power?

Just curious if anyone has more info on that.
@ken361
When he had his he swore by a 32-36 bias.