NMD: Lead 12 .... best bedroom plexi!

• Thread starter Maggot Brain
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
Wow! Congrats @Maggot Brain! Things happen for a reason, and man you really did well here. You really scored getting one with a Greenback! As you know I was kicking around the G10 Greenback initially, but then considered the Creamback. Well, based on what you said, I am gonna probably go Greenback, but since you have both, it would great to hear a comparison from you when you get the time. I'm in no rush. :) These days, I have been playing through my Reverb 12 more, only because it has reverb (not the greatest either) but like I said before, my Lead 12 sounds more powerful. It's not going anywhere either.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Ok, I think it'll keep up with a drummer now.
I decided to move the BadCat over from the Haze15.
Fuzz, Screamer & A/B/Y into the front, speaker out to the BC, eq-chorus-reverb in the loop, 100w class D out to the V-Types.
Movin' air. :yesway:
View attachment 115639View attachment 115640
Oh man! What a sweet set up!

I really dig how you put the Lead 20 in a head cab! I would love to do just that as usually wherever I jam there is always a 4x12 laying around. It would make the perfect grab and go head imo, I imagine the headshell is the heaviest part.

I appreciate the heads up, super pumped to know the 20 can get pretty loud... Shit, this Lead 12 sounds considerably louder than the last one I had, I almost feel it could get away with a drummer in a 4x12.
Wow! Congrats @Maggot Brain! Things happen for a reason, and man you really did well here. You really scored getting one with a Greenback! As you know I was kicking around the G10 Greenback initially, but then considered the Creamback. Well, based on what you said, I am gonna probably go Greenback, but since you have both, it would great to hear a comparison from you when you get the time. I'm in no rush. :) These days, I have been playing through my Reverb 12 more, only because it has reverb (not the greatest either) but like I said before, my Lead 12 sounds more powerful. It's not going anywhere either.
Thanks man! For once something actually kinda worked out for me in a round about way but I'll take it.

I'll get some quality comparisons of my 12 with both speakers. The Greenback is definitely what I was looking for and ironically it was my least favorite of all the 10s I listened to online. It may not be a straight up 10" version of a G12M but you can definitely hear the Greenback pedigree in this speaker. The Creamback is the more balanced and bigger sounding speaker by far and still sounds extremely good in the Lead 12. Going back and forth I noticed the Greenback has a really fat/meaty mid focus that can get "muddy" if not dialed right and I think this is what I was hearing in other demos. I usually set my Mid control to about 5 but with the GB I dial it back to 3ish and the Treble I usually dime but on the GB it has plenty of treble for my shitty hearing, I'm setting it around 6-7 now. The bass is full but not entirely powerful, it fills the bottom end of the notes but may sound a little "boxy" compared to the Creamback.

The G10 Creamback really sounds similar to my G12M65 I have in my DSL, you can definitely tell they are related. The CB has balance, I emphasize on it a lot but it's the best way to describe it. I can dial in my mids around 5, the highs are clear without being piercing and to my ears smoother than the GB, I feel again that has to do with the balance of the frequencies. The bass is the most impressive part of the CB, it can rattle the room at high volume and definitely does NOT sound boxy at all. It actually amazes me how much bass and punch the CB has in the Lead 12 and definitely makes the GB sound smaller and more boxy in comparison.

The Greenback pairs perfectly with my strat, thick and meaty mids with a top end that cuts thru complimenting the thinner nature of single coils. I have to say the Creamback pairs much better with my Epi Les Paul's humbuckers and I'll eventually get a 1x10 cab so I can quickly use both speakers dependent of my mood or guitar choice.

I found it hard to find as detailed reviews or observations of the 10s compared to endless threads of 12" speakers. I wanted to post this here in case it may help anyone else in the future. Nothing beats hearing it with your own ears in person but I do find sometimes reading numerous reviews can paint a decent picture of what to expect.

I'll record both guitars thru each speaker for comparison soon.

Fk.... That's it! That's the one I want! Thanks for the heads up!

Too bad I can't quite swing it yet... Hopefully soon!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really dig how you put the Lead 20 in a head cab! I would love to do just that as usually wherever I jam there is always a 4x12 laying around. It would make the perfect grab and go head imo, I imagine the headshell is the heaviest part.
I got that amp chassis only from some dude on Reverb for a Franklin.
No clue what he did with the combo.
Made the head out of some scrap 1/2" ply and a few bucks of tolex & piping - only weighs a couple of pounds.

Might be easier to just add a speaker jack if you find a deal on the combo.
It's an 8-ohm amp, but a 16-ohm cab would just put it at about 14-15w.
Sounds great through a pair of 12's - should push a 412 no problem.

Wildeman

Reaction score
Oh man! What a sweet set up!

I appreciate the heads up, super pumped to know the 20 can get pretty loud... Shit, this Lead 12 sounds considerably louder than the last one I had, I almost feel it could get away with a drummer in a 4x12.

Thanks man! For once something actually kinda worked out for me in a round about way but I'll take it.

I'll get some quality comparisons of my 12 with both speakers. The Greenback is definitely what I was looking for and ironically it was my least favorite of all the 10s I listened to online. It may not be a straight up 10" version of a G12M but you can definitely hear the Greenback pedigree in this speaker. The Creamback is the more balanced and bigger sounding speaker by far and still sounds extremely good in the Lead 12. Going back and forth I noticed the Greenback has a really fat/meaty mid focus that can get "muddy" if not dialed right and I think this is what I was hearing in other demos. I usually set my Mid control to about 5 but with the GB I dial it back to 3ish and the Treble I usually dime but on the GB it has plenty of treble for my shitty hearing, I'm setting it around 6-7 now. The bass is full but not entirely powerful, it fills the bottom end of the notes but may sound a little "boxy" compared to the Creamback.

The G10 Creamback really sounds similar to my G12M65 I have in my DSL, you can definitely tell they are related. The CB has balance, I emphasize on it a lot but it's the best way to describe it. I can dial in my mids around 5, the highs are clear without being piercing and to my ears smoother than the GB, I feel again that has to do with the balance of the frequencies. The bass is the most impressive part of the CB, it can rattle the room at high volume and definitely does NOT sound boxy at all. It actually amazes me how much bass and punch the CB has in the Lead 12 and definitely makes the GB sound smaller and more boxy in comparison.

The Greenback pairs perfectly with my strat, thick and meaty mids with a top end that cuts thru complimenting the thinner nature of single coils. I have to say the Creamback pairs much better with my Epi Les Paul's humbuckers and I'll eventually get a 1x10 cab so I can quickly use both speakers dependent of my mood or guitar choice.

I found it hard to find as detailed reviews or observations of the 10s compared to endless threads of 12" speakers. I wanted to post this here in case it may help anyone else in the future. Nothing beats hearing it with your own ears in person but I do find sometimes reading numerous reviews can paint a decent picture of what to expect.

I'll record both guitars thru each speaker for comparison soon.

Fk.... That's it! That's the one I want! Thanks for the heads up!

Too bad I can't quite swing it yet... Hopefully soon!
Man, that's alot of Skrill!!! Check this out