NMD: Lead 12 .... best bedroom plexi!

• Thread starter Maggot Brain
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Just got one. Real bargain and looks nice. On it's way. It's the reverb one. Not that I ever bother with reverb.
I'm pretty jealous! I want one of those so bad now, only seen them listed in Europe, haven't found one listed in the US. I'm scouring everywhere I can for the Reverb 12 or a head or even the stack but 98% are priced just INSANELY... Real bummer! Thanks Johan! 😄

I kick myself because about a year ago a red full stack was listed for $300 about 20 mins from me... I debated it but didn't believe the Lead 12 hype... It sat listed for weeks... That red was beautiful... But I figured it couldn't be much better than the MG mini stacks (I've never been impressed with those).... Right now I'd LOVE a red stack... shoulda woulda coulda...

I really only use reverb when jamming along with backing tracks and a Reverb 12 would be perfect. Let us know how you like it! Maybe give us a clip of that spring reverb!

purpleplexi

Reaction score
And now I haven't. Payed for it ( online) got a confirmation email, they took my money then next day I got an email saying it was already sold. Not happy, esp as it was super cheap and looked in great condition. At least the refund came back.

eastsidecincy

Reaction score
I played thru my Lead 12 I bought back in 82 last nite....it sounds best with the gain all the way up....otherwise...not so good.... : (

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I played thru my Lead 12 I bought back in 82 last nite....it sounds best with the gain all the way up....otherwise...not so good.... : (
It's all about diming the MV and just using the Gain knob to dial in volume/drive on the low input like a non master volume amp. The volume below 8 definitely sounds like a thin SS practice amp and also the gain should be atleast halfway in order to not sound thin/tinny.

I wonder if those that don't think they sound that great just played them at low volumes? I'm getting pretty amazing (to me) JTM100 tones than say JMP tones on the low input. I kinda get a "JCM800" 2204 type thing going on high input but it's not really my thing and I don't think it's as close to a JCM as the JTM vibe on the low input.

Again this is all in consideration of it being just a simple 12 watt practice amp but what a practice amp IMO :shred::shred2:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm scouring everywhere I can for the Reverb 12 or a head
If you're looking for reverb in a low watt SS Marshall combo, keep your eye out for one of these.
G15RCD - It's the Lead15 in a 1x8 (NOT an MG)
I think you'd dig the Gain1, Gain2 & MV controls.
1661422939038.png
Or, my personal favorite, the G215RCD - same circuit in a 2x8 with a stereo chorus duel 15w output board.
1661423095634.png
Complete crime running any of these amps through the stock speaker(s).
My 215 sounds amazing through the pair of 210 columns with 10M-30's & Jr's.

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
Belated congrats! I think those 5000-series model solid states from the JCM 800 series are great little amps. At one point I had four of them, all big brothers of the Lead 12 (the 20W 1x10, 50W and 75W 1x12, and 100W 2x12; respectively: 5002, 5210, 5275, 5213)! I eventually sold the big 100W 2x12, as I (now) own a couple other tube 2x12s in lesser wattages (Ampeg Reverberocket 50W, AC30 30W) and it was really more amp than I need.

Here are the four, the bottom 2x12 "MOS-FET 100 Reverb Twin" has moved on.

48788457031_40f4fe2dba_b.jpg

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Belated congrats! I think those 5000-series model solid states from the JCM 800 series are great little amps. At one point I had four of them, all big brothers of the Lead 12 (the 20W 1x10, 50W and 75W 1x12, and 100W 2x12; respectively: 5002, 5210, 5275, 5213)! I eventually sold the big 100W 2x12, as I (now) own a couple other tube 2x12s in lesser wattages (Ampeg Reverberocket 50W, AC30 30W) and it was really more amp than I need.

Here are the four, the bottom 2x12 "MOS-FET 100 Reverb Twin" has moved on.

48788457031_40f4fe2dba_b.jpg
Oh man! I definitely want to collect them all now including the Lead 100 Mosfet head. I love what I can achieve with this little Lead 12, I'd love one of the bigger ones for impromptu jams and such!
Congrats on that!
Thanks man!

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
full

Well it finally arrived! I had a busy day so I only just got to it a few hours ago.

WOW!!!!!

That's the simplest way to put it, this was exactly what I was hoping for. First let me say that this G10 does a mighty impressive 12" impersonation, hell it might fool someone into thinking you have a 12 crammed in there. The body and boldness straight up defies only being a 10" and the tone? Pure Celestion perfection 👌 this is easily my favorite speaker I've owned yet and maybe one of the best speakers I've ever played. I think it sounds closer to a 12" Greenback than the M65 Creamback, it's that stinging, searing, hot top end that just sounds like a hot knife thru better. The Lead 12 is now rattling items in my room which it never did with the N40 even with the bass dimed, this little speaker punches WAY above it's weight class and if it weren't for 10" being less popular this speaker would probably be getting more attention. I think the G10 Creamback would pair perfectly with the Origin20c and the Studio combos and I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone running 10s.

Now in comparison with the G10N-40, I really loved how the amp sounded with the N40 but was curious about something else and boy am I glad. While I still think the N40 sounds great, the CB is just in another league. The N40 really captures some Alnico flavor on the top end like Celestion intended and would be great in a 2x10 but for classic Celestion/GB flavor and/or for a 1x10 set up the CB is impressive. I can only imagine how big running a 2x10 with the CB would sound and now I'm DYING to get a Lead 12 stack and throw CBs in the cabs... Man I know that will sound great!

I'll post a clip tomorrow demonstrating it, I found a better microphone than my cellphone and hopefully can get a decent quality recording.

FYI Mesa/Boogie has the CB in stock for $115 delivered to your door, killer value and lower than the few used ones I found online.

BlueX

Reaction score
full

Well it finally arrived! I had a busy day so I only just got to it a few hours ago.

WOW!!!!!

That's the simplest way to put it, this was exactly what I was hoping for. First let me say that this G10 does a mighty impressive 12" impersonation, hell it might fool someone into thinking you have a 12 crammed in there. The body and boldness straight up defies only being a 10" and the tone? Pure Celestion perfection 👌 this is easily my favorite speaker I've owned yet and maybe one of the best speakers I've ever played. I think it sounds closer to a 12" Greenback than the M65 Creamback, it's that stinging, searing, hot top end that just sounds like a hot knife thru better. The Lead 12 is now rattling items in my room which it never did with the N40 even with the bass dimed, this little speaker punches WAY above it's weight class and if it weren't for 10" being less popular this speaker would probably be getting more attention. I think the G10 Creamback would pair perfectly with the Origin20c and the Studio combos and I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone running 10s.

Now in comparison with the G10N-40, I really loved how the amp sounded with the N40 but was curious about something else and boy am I glad. While I still think the N40 sounds great, the CB is just in another league. The N40 really captures some Alnico flavor on the top end like Celestion intended and would be great in a 2x10 but for classic Celestion/GB flavor and/or for a 1x10 set up the CB is impressive. I can only imagine how big running a 2x10 with the CB would sound and now I'm DYING to get a Lead 12 stack and throw CBs in the cabs... Man I know that will sound great!

I'll post a clip tomorrow demonstrating it, I found a better microphone than my cellphone and hopefully can get a decent quality recording.

FYI Mesa/Boogie has the CB in stock for $115 delivered to your door, killer value and lower than the few used ones I found online.
I just built two small 1x10 cabs with 10" Creambacks in them, and I also love the sound. They do a magnificent job!

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
full

WOW!!!!!

Hmmmm...I may have to try that! Gongrats! I still have the G10D-25 in mine.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Hmmmm...I may have to try that! Gongrats! I still have the G10D-25 in mine.
Do yourself a favor and stick a Creamback in there. I heard the G10N-40 was a substantial upgrade from the stock speaker, I bought it with the N40 inside so I have no personal reference to the stock D25 but I have no doubts the CM will blow away the D25 as it absolutely blew away the N40.

The Creamback sounds BIG.

Dave_11

Reaction score
Congrats on the creamback. I put a G10 greenback in my Lead 12 a couple of years ago and it really improved the sound over the stock speaker.

I just got a G10 creamback yesterday for my Ori 5 project. Right now I have the G10 CB and GB mounted in two Fender Pro Jr cabs and am A/Bing them with the Ori 5. They sound different, but I can't decide which I like better. The GB sounds raunchier and looser, with more bottom, but that's probably because it's broken in. I'll hook the CB up to a stereo playing classic rock this week while I'm at work and see if that loosens it up. I think you can't go wrong either way though - creamback or greenback.

Mike_LA

Reaction score
Just to ignite your G.A.S. further in Ca

$140

$300
$250

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Just to ignite your G.A.S. further in Ca

$140

$300
$250