• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

No More Rosewood Fretboards From Fender !!!

• Thread starter Las Palmas Norte
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
If true they could trie other woods or do what Gibson did using something called burnt maple??? I saw and played a few and I couldnt really tell a difference.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
but in the meantime, check out the rosewood neck Fenders we have in stock. :applause:
Maybe a panic buy?

I wonder how much one of these will get ya. :thumb:

That wood is simply beautiful I must say, nice looking Tele for sure!!!

There is one on Reverb for 3350.00 its a 2013 new!

Last edited:

Obi Plexi-nobi

Reaction score
Likely a U.N. regulation to 'save the Earth from itself' and from guitar players. I'm not personally fond of rosewood on Fenders, but I do like it on Gibsons.

How long until the men in blue helmets show up to confiscate our rosewood-equipped instruments 'for the good of the common inhabitants of Earth'..?

When the Galactic Empire attempted to do this to the peace-loving inhabitants of Alderaan, they did NOT take it lightly...

But you SEE what happened to THEM...

Gianni

Reaction score
Article in this months Guitar and Bass Magazine (UK) with interviews from different manufacturers (Taylor, Gibson and Fender) talking about CITES and other interpretation of US and European legislation on protected timber.

The War Of The Rosewood
(Published on Apr 10th, 2017)
www.guitar-bass.net/features/rosewood

Fender EVP Richard McDonald tells G&B: “We have every intention of continuing to use rosewood. The new requirements require export permits from the exporting country’s management authority, and some countries require import permits.

While these requirements result in us investing additional time and resources co-ordinating all of the permits, we’re prepared to do so, and have been doing so for months.” :yesway:

Gianni

Reaction score
Fender has a choice. Gibson ain't gawt a pot to piss in.
picture.php

Gibson Baked Maple Fingerboard Guide
(Posted on December 18th 2012)
https://blog.andertons.co.uk/guitars/gibson-baked-maple-fingerboard-guide

krudler

Reaction score
as i understood it, it's the furniture industry that has made trouble for rosewood (and other woods). guitars are just collateral damage.

El Gringo

Reaction score
So I just read above the link that said Rosewood is being re planted in India .Why not the same thing in Brazil ? I never could have imagined that East Indian Rosewood would be CITES certified as endangered .I do know about the supply and demand issue and it does make sense that all rosewood is becoming more rare and limited with all of the rosewood made furniture being made and exported out of China but jeez East Indian Rosewood ?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
If true they could trie other woods or do what Gibson did using something called burnt maple??? I saw and played a few and I couldnt really tell a difference.
I like rosewood but as long as a substitute looks and performs the same I'm ok with it. Burnt maple sure :yesway:

Philip Lyon

Reaction score
Baked Maple I believe was the term - got one. Makes for a slightly brighter more attacking tone than rosewood. Feels very dry under the finger.
Looks cheap in comparison I feel to rosewood.
See pic of LP Studio 2012.
Gibson used it as a stop-gap when the Feds confiscated their wood shed contents !
SDC11555.JPG

Last edited:

rick16v

Reaction score
They should plant rosewood trees in microwave gardens. These reduce the growth time considerably, and would solve this problem.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Baked Maple I believe was the term - got one. Makes for a slightly brighter more attacking tone than rosewood. Feels very dry under the finger.
Looks cheap in comparison I feel to rosewood.
See pic of LP Studio 2012.
Gibson used it as a stop-gap when the Feds confiscated their wood shed contents !
View attachment 40788
That explains why Gibson Custom was making two piece East Indian Rosewood fingerboards for the 2012 R9's .

Philip Lyon

Reaction score
How does it do that?

In the same way Strats with maple boards have slightly more cut or bite to their tone than their rosewood board siblings due to the fact that maple attenuates lows more than rosewood does. Maple does not, contrary to popular belief, transmit highs better, it is simply less adept at transmitting mids and lows.
Rosewood gives a warmer tone with more emphasis on the mids and lows than maple does. Rosewood is fairly tonally neutral as woods go generally speaking.
This is not internet fake news, it is a well known fact among luthiers and in this instance the resulting tonal change does not make for a bad Les Paul, it just makes it a little more spanky and dynamic than we would expect from this design - the chambered (for weight relief) body also helps but that's another story.

Biddlin

In Memorandum
Reaction score
In the same way Strats with maple boards have slightly more cut or bite to their tone...well known fact among luthiers....but that's another story.
But how do the magnetic pickups know what kind of sound the wood is dissipating into the atmosphere? Can't they only respond to ferrous metallic strings?
I actually hear a great deal of debate among luthiers and physicists regarding the effect of "tonewoods" and even their existence, even among acoustic guitar builders and violin makers. From a foresters point of view, I can mill boards from the same maple tree that will all have different resonances and densities. A body cut from the base end of a plank is lighter in the same dimension than one cut from the top of the plank. There is simply no correlation between a specific species and a specific tone.

Last edited:

Philip Lyon

Reaction score
[QUOTE=" There is simply no correlation between a specific species and a specific tone.[/QUOTE]

Well, thanks for the advice, you could be saving me an absolute fortune here when I choose the woods for my next commission !
I'd love to see the look on my client's face when I tell him I've decided to build his tele thinline style guitar out of an old pallet I have lying about in my workshop and that it doesn't really matter because species is irrelevant.
Never mind the wood, just listen to the density I'll tell him !
I'll still charge the same though, time is money !

Joking aside, yes density does affect tone but harmonic content IS affected by species* - if this were not true we'd all be making guitars out of the most inexpensive cuts we could find and be fobbing prospective buyers off with some spurious marketing hype about it's benefits - usually works !

* Compare a Les Paul Custom pre '73 to post '74 if you ever get a chance and you'll hear what I mean about species and tone - I can hear the difference, can anyone else ?

Latest posts