• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

No sound coming out

• Thread starter htaylor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KISS NATION

Reaction score
I don't think I have knocked anything.
everything looks the same as it did when I opened it.
the LED lights still work on the power button and on the OD channel, so I know there is power going to it.

KISS NATION

Reaction score
I had always wanted a marshall amp, ever since I first picked up a guitar 7 years ago. now I am wishing that I had spent my money on something else.

KISS NATION

Reaction score
another question I have is why do companies selling guitar leads and patch cables think that making them with gold connectors is so important?
if it really was so important then all the connectors inside guitars amps and pedals would be gold too.

JkGriffin

Reaction score
Ok... here comes a stupid one because I did this stupid mistake earlier today.

Is it a 1960A/B AV/BV cab or any other you can switch between mono and stereo?
Make sure you have connected the amp correct into the cab, matching impedance and all.

I managed to put the cab accidentally (don't ask me how, don't know) to mono, while my JCM800 was connected to the cab input not active in that mode. I tried with several guitars various amp inputs different cables and whatnot. When nothing worked I tried the other amp input which worked just fine, just to discover I was connected to mono 4ohm while the amp was set at 8ohms. All good though. Nothing bad happened....luckily. But do check for stupid things like that.

Also, you said you bought the amp (and cab?) used... take a look inside to see that there are no loose connections. You never know before you know you know. That was the case with a cab I got hold of as well. I had to tighten up some of the cable shoes inside to get them to stay put.

brp

Reaction score
Well, gold has better conductivity than many metals and does not corrode as easily as many. Nickel for example has better conductivity than gold but corrodes easier.
There are different quality levels made available, something for everyone. Just because it's better doesn't mean that anything else is unacceptable.
As far as companies making it sound "so important" that's kinda what companies like to do, make it sound as though using their product is important.

KISS NATION

Reaction score
there isn't a separate cab with the amp.
it seemed to be working fine, apart from the fact that the sound kept coming and going, even more so when using the line in.
I took it apart, checked there was no dust inside, put it back together and now it doesn't work at all.
this is not the sort of quality I expected when buying a marshall.

JkGriffin

Reaction score
another question I have is why do companies selling guitar leads and patch cables think that making them with gold connectors is so important?
if it really was so important then all the connectors inside guitars amps and pedals would be gold too.
First of all... mostly mojo... Some of the most expensive high-end cables do not have gold connectors still they are slightly better than most.

Second... from a technical point of view, the connectors inside the amp is not connected and disconnected very often. A guitar cable is, meaning it is more exposed to corrosion (in lack of a better word in English). Gold is a metal that don't react so easy, meaning it won't corrode as such thus being giving you a better chance of connectivity. In real life you can disregard this though simply cause it is not relevant unless you like to use your guitar cables as fishing lines in the sea or other stupid stuff... I don't see no other reasons to use gold connectors though... mostly mojo I would think.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

brp

Reaction score

But you bought an amp made in India, whose manufacturing quality you characterize as "worse than China's" ? If that's how you felt, then you're contradicting yourself buy saying you expected better quality.

Also, you're highjacking someone else's request for assistance thread here.
You should have a thread for your own amp issues so that this one can stay on the topic of the issue the original poster is having. It's common forum courtesy.

Grunch

Reaction score
it seemed to be working fine, apart from the fact that the sound kept coming and going, even more so when using the line in.
I took it apart, checked there was no dust inside, put it back together and now it doesn't work at all.

Lol. No offense, but you bought the cheapest of the Marshalls, and then you went inside of it and dicked around. If it worked before you "hoovered" it, surely you broke something or knocked something loose. Or you didn't put it back together properly. Or you don't have your guitar plugged in. :lol:

KISS NATION

Reaction score
I had to post in this thread because the mods wouldn't let me start my own thread.
I do apologise for taking the thread off topic.
as for me saying india is worse than china, if you had read my post you would see that I pointed out that this was a review I read on another website. it is not my own opinion.

KISS NATION

Reaction score
Lol. No offense, but you bought the cheapest of the Marshalls, and then you went inside of it and dicked around. If it worked before you "hoovered" it, surely you broke something or knocked something loose. Or you didn't put it back together properly. Or you don't have your guitar plugged in. :lol:

I haven't dicked around with anything and I would hardly call it a cheap amp. some of the more expensive marshall amps have been known to cause problems, hence the reason the op started this thread in the first place. my guitar is plugged in thankyou, I'm not totally stupid.

JkGriffin

Reaction score

Is it the MG10KK combo? Does that have tubes?
Still, on a combo you do have the amp connected to a speaker or two. Check it. It doesn't really cost much to do so.

You say the problem was more present when using the line-in... that's the CD-input/Line-out right? Could it be some bad connections there?

brp

Reaction score
I had to post in this thread because the mods wouldn't let me start my own thread.
I do apologise for taking the thread off topic.
as for me saying india is worse than china, if you had read my post you would see that I pointed out that this was a review I read on another website. it is not my own opinion.

Ah I see. Fair enough then.
Yes, like everything else, it's fair to say Marshall arguably may not have as exacting of quality control standards as they once had.
But as I said, that goes for pretty much everything made these days.
Marshall's top of the line amps can and do have issues as well. It happens.

To the OP,
I had a fuse blow a few months back and it did indeed turn out to be that one of my power tubes had gone bad.
If the tube has lost vacuum, it will usually go all cloudy white inside within a few hours, although worth noting that even if this doesn't happen, the tube could still be "bad".
I had another tube go bad last year, was working then suddenly wasn't and it never went white/lost vacuum. It did indeed stop working though and cause the other powertube to start redplating.

brp

Reaction score
the sound kept coming and going, even more so when using the line in.

This really sounds like a bad solder joint, for the record. Same thing happened on a Fender SS amp I had, a model which is well known for developing this intermittent output issue. It's plausible you cracked a solder joint somewhere, or otherwise disturbed an existing, barely connected solder joint, even just ever so slightly, enough to cause an intermittent loss of continuity.

KISS NATION

Reaction score
Is it the MG10KK combo? Does that have tubes?
Still, on a combo you do have the amp connected to a speaker or two. Check it. It doesn't really cost much to do so.

You say the problem was more present when using the line-in... that's the CD-input/Line-out right? Could it be some bad connections there?

it's an MG30DFX.
sometimes when using the guitar input, the sound would fade out and then come back after playing with the lead. I had the leads and the guitar checked and they were fine.
the line in fades quite a lot, if you move the cable about then it comes back, sort of. the line out is fine.
all the cables are still connected in the same way they were when I opened the amp, everything is fine apart from the fact that now instead of the sound fading, there is no sound at all.
I have no idea what else to suggest.

KISS NATION

Reaction score
This really sounds like a bad solder joint, for the record. Same thing happened on a Fender SS amp I had, a model which is well known for developing this intermittent output issue. It's plausible you cracked a solder joint somewhere, or otherwise disturbed an existing, barely connected solder joint, even just ever so slightly, enough to cause an intermittent loss of continuity.

I'm not saying it is just marshall amps.
it's just frustrating that I have wanted a marshall amp ever since I first picked up a guitar 7 years ago, now I have got one and it's causing me problems.
I can't see any broken joints or loose cables so I have no idea what could be causing the problem. first it fades and now there is no sound at all.

brp

Reaction score
I never did find the bad joint on the Fender even with a meter and magnifier) even though that's surely what it was. I just had to buy a new amp because repairing the Fender became not worth the time, money or effort.
I'm not a fan of the offshore robot soldering, although I'm sure the failure rate is quite low for the most part.

KISS NATION

Reaction score
if I have indeed bought the cheapest marshall amp, what replacement would you recommend?

V-man

Reaction score
how the hell can an amp work fine, then not work at all after cleaning it and putting it back together?

Two words: operator error.

you could have forgotten to re seat the preamp tubes (or not seat them fully). You could have banged a soldier joint loose. You could have been doing "bombproof" tests, miscleaned it (debris in input jacks) and many other things. The "WTF" question is NOT how can the amp be silenced by taking it apart and cleaning it... the "WTF" question is how can somebody who knows what he's doing cause an amp to go silent taking it apart and cleaning it?