• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Noisy Marshall JMC 800 Lead (2203)

rbotn

Reaction score
Hi.
I am repairng guitar amplifiers and I have a problem with a JMC 800 (2203). The owner of the amplifier has short-circuited two pins on an output tube. There is sound at the amplifier, but there is a noise in the pre-amp, mostly at high input. There is no noise when the master volume is turned down. Attach a sound-file with the noise.

rbotn

Reaction score
So, what have you checked or replaced up to this point?
I have change both preamp tubes with new one, no result. I sounds like the noise is comming for the high input. When I pull out V1, the first tube, the amp is silence.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
I have change both preamp tubes with new one, no result. I sounds like the noise is comming for the high input. When I pull out V1, the first tube, the amp is silence.
Both inputs run through v1. Do you have any experience working on amps? Do you have a voltmeter? Have you opened up the amp for a visual inspection?

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Hi.
I am repairng guitar amplifiers and I have a problem with a JMC 800 (2203). The owner of the amplifier has short-circuited two pins on an output tube. There is sound at the amplifier, but there is a noise in the pre-amp, mostly at high input. There is no noise when the master volume is turned down. Attach a sound-file with the noise.

Try swapping components "C" and "M", should sound perfect!

StingRay85

Reaction score
V1 is shared by both inputs. High input uses V1A while low bypasses it. So there's a massive difference in volume right there. Based on the very limited info you gave, it can be a lot of things. Maybe this should be moved to the workbench subforum

rbotn

Reaction score
Both inputs run through v1. Do you have any experience working on amps? Do you have a voltmeter? Have you opened up the amp for a visual inspection?
Yes I have experience working on amps, but this is a tricky one. There is nothing to see trough visual inscctions. The voltage around V1 and V2 is whitin 10%. The noise is the same with or without cable in the inputs. Are there anybody who have bad experiences with the jack inputs?
V1 is shared by both inputs. High input uses V1A while low bypasses it. So there's a massive difference in volume right there. Based on the very limited info you gave, it can be a lot of things. Maybe this should be moved to the workbench subforum
Thanx, I will also post on that forum too.

StingRay85

Reaction score
Clean the inputs is for sure where you should start