Non-fan-boy Dsl40c Review

• Thread starter Deep Purple fan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Believe it or not...I used the 10 band eq at the end of my chain into the amp. The effect loop on the dsl is SO SO...it gave a mild hum so I just ran it at the end of my input chain... worked the best that way.

Thanks for that Lindey :>)

Robert Herndon Project

In Memorandum
Reaction score
I bought one and I'm very critical/opinionated/dated/jaded/dickheaded in general, and I found it to be a very good and useful amp, although I dislike the Celestion 70/80. I had previously been using a JTM 30 Combo that was ancient, suffered from persistent overheating problems and was, quite literally, falling apart. The DSL40C has great tube tone, doesn't seem to have an tendency to overheat (even outdoors or on stuffy stages) and gives me a tone reminiscent of my of my JTM 30 in a much more portable package....

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
When I was looking for amps last year I tried the DSL100H and I thought it was a great amp. The Jubilee just felt better to me for the kind of music I play so I went with it. I have been thinking about getting some kind of Marshall combo and the DSL40 seems hard to beat.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
When I was looking for amps last year I tried the DSL100H and I thought it was a great amp. The Jubilee just felt better to me for the kind of music I play so I went with it. I have been thinking about getting some kind of Marshall combo and the DSL40 seems hard to beat.

Depends on how much coin you want to spend. I see you bought the Silver Jub over the DSL100H. If you're willing to pay extra to get extra and you want a combo, think JVM410C. Channels one and two have six modes total of vintage Marshall tones. If you play the style of music that the silver Jub shines than those two channels are pure gold. The JVM also has two OD channels. The DSL40C is a good amp but if you're already on Silver Jub, it won't scratch your itch.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Depends on how much coin you want to spend. I see you bought the Silver Jub over the DSL100H. If you're willing to pay extra to get extra and you want a combo, think JVM410C. Channels one and two have six modes total of vintage Marshall tones. If you play the style of music that the silver Jub shines than those two channels are pure gold. The JVM also has two OD channels. The DSL40C is a good amp but if you're already on Silver Jub, it won't scratch your itch.

Great reply !!

GT08

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that ANY (fully working and biased correctly) Marshall valve amp "sucks".

Len

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that ANY (fully working and biased correctly) Marshall valve amp "sucks".
I couldn't bond with a JVM215C. Tried new tubes, speaker, and all kinds of settings but it never had that Marshall tone I grew up with.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
See that's where playing style and personal taste comes in. I like my 40C but channel 1, although tonally good, has not enough distortion for me so I boost it with an OD (think Priest Unleashed, Scorps, Satch etc). That's the Marshall tone I grew up with, as well as Angus but I gravitate far more towards modern than old AC/DC. Channel 2 is good stock. So for me my TSL and S Jube absolutely nail MY Marshall tones I grew up with and I suspect the JVM 4xx would as well.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
See that's where playing style and personal taste comes in. I like my 40C but channel 1, although tonally good, has not enough distortion for me so I boost it with an OD (think Priest Unleashed, Scorps, Satch etc). That's the Marshall tone I grew up with, as well as Angus but I gravitate far more towards modern than old AC/DC. Channel 2 is good stock. So for me my TSL and S Jube absolutely nail MY Marshall tones I grew up with and I suspect the JVM 4xx would as well.

I use Lead 2 gain low volume up to get some nice classic rock stuff. Most try to dial in Lead 1 and it doesn't sound full enough unless you have enuff of the power section in. That's just the way that channel is.

I boost Green clean channel and use Lead 2 straight in. All kinds of cleans and saturation with guitar volume. One thing I don t play is modern gain. I keep it classic to hard rock.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
I use Lead 2 gain low volume up to get some nice classic rock stuff. Most try to dial in Lead 1 and it doesn't sound full enough unless you have enuff of the power section in. That's just the way that channel is.

I boost Green clean channel and use Lead 2 straight in. All kinds of cleans and saturation with guitar volume. One thing I don t play is modern gain. I keep it classic to hard rock.

I never could get the combo to handle modern gain. The head will do ok with it but the combo, never worked for me. Saying because I think you've got the combo, if not ignore.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

Yeah, Lead 2 is way nicer than Lead 1

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never could get the combo to handle modern gain. The head will do ok with it but the combo, never worked for me. Saying because I think you've got the combo, if not ignore.

I never play with much gain especially heavier modern stuff. Hard rock is the heaviest I get so the combo fits fine for me as well as the DSL circuit. Right in my wheel house except the more vintage Marshall I prefer.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score

I didn't realize there was a combo version of the JVM. That would probably be great for me too. I thought about the Jubilee reissue combo but it seems like a rip off since it costs as much as a half stack.

ken361

Reaction score
Goosing the DSL red 1 with a mxr dyna comp works great with single coil strats for sustain and thickness/gain!! I like it better then a clean boost and tube screamer

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the DSL40 with NOS preamp tubes? If so, whch one did you try (Mullard, Telefunken, Amperex Bugle Boy, etc)?

I find a lot of the newer amps really benefit from buying at least one for the V1 tube socket.