Non-fan-boy Dsl40c Review

• Thread starter Deep Purple fan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
I am not one of those guys who thinks that he won the lotto when I picked my DSL40C. I got the amp in brand new shape for $400 from a guy working for the French Embassy in Washington who was une xpectantly returning to Paris. Here is my totally unbiased review from a guy who has been playing 40 plus years and has tried a lot of top end kit.

Bottom line up front for the impatient - Really good FKING amp. What it is - a solid Marshall tone, two clean and two dirty modes with reverb and fx loop. It is drop dead gorgeous to look at. It has the Marshall family growl. It's suitable to gig with. The clean channel is adequate while the Crunch and OD tones are pure Marshall. It takes pedals well. It's moderate weight so easy to move around. I like that it's a breeze to swap speakers. Finally, you can hook it up to an external cab. All in all, for a street price of $699 and a generous used market of $350-450 it's a great fist tube, first gigging, first real Marshall thing. You can certainly play ACDC, GNR, LZ, Purple/Rainbow/Whitesnake family, Aerosmith, Clapton, Moore, etc.

I give the amp four of five stars based on its price point. There were areas I did not like. The stock speaker is awful. In fairness, I played with it twice over two hours and it was awful but not fully broken in. I tried it with Celestion EVH Greenback, vintage G12T75, V30, and G12K100 all with very good results. To my ears the EVH sounded best. Beyond the speaker, the FX loop is not bad but it was not completely transparent. There is tone loss. The reverb is adequate and it takes pedals well.

The amp certainly is a Marshall. The great debate is when DSL40C users make claims they've a/b it with a plexi, JVM, 800, you name it and the DSL40C nailed those tome. IMHO, that is hogwash. It is none of those iconic amps but it certainly is a good amp. Quite frankly, it's a ridiculous argument and I don't care what videos or pedals are presented in defense of the claim.

I'm really writing this for the guys thinking of getting a DSL40C. For you, my advice is expect a good solid Marshall tube tone with a very good OD pallet and adequate cleans, reverb and FX. EXPECT TO SWAP OUT THE SPEAKER. Many good options are out there. Expect decent bedroom tones and a gig worthy rig. No worries playing tunes played by the big boys in the Marshall legacy. But, don't expect it to be a PLEXI, JCM800, JVM2/4 series - those amps are noticeable leaps ahead. As long as you keep expectations in the world of realistic and you are on a budget, you will be very happy. If you think you're getting a plexi or 800 on a budget you will be unhappy. If that is what you want, hold off and save more money. There are a lot of ridiculous claims about the DSL40C and equally invalid hate for this amp. In reality, it's a good amp at the right prkice point. I see a lot of these at give away prices, I see a lot of negative reviews, and I think it's because of unrealistic expectations and limitations of the player. The amp is really true to what Marshall claims and where they position it in the market.

I've had the amp two months and it's for sale. It will probably be gone today. But I'm glad I gave it a try as its a fun amp.

jlinde1973

Reaction score
Great review! I can agree with most of what u said. Yes the price is an absolute steal. I would agree that the most important upgrade to the amp would be a speaker and preamp tube swap. One thing that u forgot to mention was the fact that the amp is rather scooped sounding compared to the jvm and vintage marshalls. The upper mids and treble are harsh and fizzy while the bass is almost boomy. But I have completely solved the problem simply by adding an mxr 10 band eq and pegging the mids and lowering the treble. Good vintage longplate preamp tubes will subtly tame the fizz and fatten up the amp. While the amp did sound much better after the mods, I sold it in favor of the jvm and jmp models. But for a player on a tight budget...the dsl is probably the best deal out there for great tube tone and versitility.

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

Reaction score
what tubes would you recommend for all our fave 80s/hard rock/cock rock tones? GnR, 80s metal, AC/DC etc.? I realize those arent all the same tone but theyre in the same neighborhood.

Sound Of A Gun

Reaction score
Nice review @Deep Purple fan, it is how I view the amp. I play mine through an Orange 1x12 with a V30, the stock speaker is not good. Plus, you get a a bit more thump out of a closed back can (as much as you can expect out of a 1x12...).

I used to have a JCM 2000 DSL 100 and this amp gives me the tone I used to gig with and now want to record with. Couldn't be happier at the moment. The lure of the JVM well one day get the better of me though.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Right. I found that I needed to use an external eq for my amp eq treble and presence were at 0 and couldn't go no lower. The 10 band eq did wonders...I wonder why marshall voiced the amp so brightly?
If treble and pres were both at zero, man, that's bright. C19 clip, and speaker change. I think they voiced lead channel brighter for solos...

Reactions: Len

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Right. I found that I needed to use an external eq for my amp eq treble and presence were at 0 and couldn't go no lower. The 10 band eq did wonders...I wonder why marshall voiced the amp so brightly?

I have wondered the same thing BUT fixed it by removing C4 and C19 (I believe Inhave these correct based off memory). I can my treble and presence and the fizz is gone.

Reactions: Len

wakjob

Reaction score
$699 is actually a very generous price from Marshall.

I'm seriously considering a Fender Bassbreaker 15 combo @ $649.
The Marshall is more bang for the buck.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
$699 is actually a very generous price from Marshall.

I'm seriously considering a Fender Bassbreaker 15 combo @ $649.
The Marshall is more bang for the buck.

I was looking at its big brother but simply too big and bulky for me plus I don't like the tweed, it gets damaged and dirty way to easy compared to tolex.

jlinde1973

Reaction score
If treble and pres were both at zero, man, that's bright. C19 clip, and speaker change. I think they voiced lead channel brighter for solos...
Right I agree...I actually reduced the c19 to a 200pf. I found that any lower cap value it lost too much harmonics and sounded like a cheap overdrive pedal...so I stuck with the 200pf. I then lowered the treble further with the 10 band eq and it still had the marshall bark. It worked for me.

jlinde1973

Reaction score
I have wondered the same thing BUT fixed it by removing C4 and C19 (I believe Inhave these correct based off memory). I can my treble and presence and the fizz is gone.
I actually raised my c4 cap value to balance the channels more. I found on min that the clean and crunch were a little TOO bassy compared to the red channels. I piggybacked a 20uf on the 100 on the c4. It gave the clean and crunch a little bit more bark. But each to their own...everybody's ears r different.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Right I agree...I actually reduced the c19 to a 200pf. I found that any lower cap value it lost too much harmonics and sounded like a cheap overdrive pedal...so I stuck with the 200pf. I then lowered the treble further with the 10 band eq and it still had the marshall bark. It worked for me.
Hey there Lind. I am thinking 'bout an EQ pedal. Where have you placed it in the chain. Effects loop or front of amp ?
BP

Sound Of A Gun

Reaction score
I actually raised my c4 cap value to balance the channels more. I found on min that the clean and crunch were a little TOO bassy compared to the red channels. I piggybacked a 20uf on the 100 on the c4. It gave the clean and crunch a little bit more bark. But each to their own...everybody's ears r different.

I have noticed have bassy the green channel is. I love Red 1, the clean and crunch sound good as well, but G on the E string at any volume really shakes my cab.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
I keep trying to like them.. I really do. I have played them many times and each time I am just completely disappointed. I assume it's the speaker causing the problem as I do like the 100 watter but the combo SUCKS in stock form.

I really wish Marshall had done a better job with speaker selection because I would have bought one about 3 times now.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had mine for a long time now. Have no problems getting good tones and vintage at that.

Fun=an amp I keep playing. I sure as fuck don't need anyone to tell me what sounds/feels good amp wise especially when it comes to Marshall. I do appreciate reviews that apply to my situation playing wise...both bedroom and gigging.

It has some feel short comings vintage wise but I'm being spoiled after owning some touch sensitive Vintage Marshall circuits. Modern tones it does I careless about. I play what I play.

Bottom line for the money this amp will deliver great tones in a band setting.

ken361

Reaction score
Stock wasn't bad you just dial the treble below 5 and mids also,if put the amp on a tilt pointing at you and dial it I found the treble and presence at 3 mids at sounded best and really good with my british lead speaker. Adding mids made it brighter believe it or not:) and scrap the preamp tubes.The bias has been a hit or miss with these amps some were off the charts!