Non tone sucking reverb pedal for ambient...

• Thread starter giblesp
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

giblesp

Reaction score
As the title says, I'm considering a reverb pedal with a nice llllooonngggg tail, that don't suck or color the tone!

Any recommendations?

MXR M300 looks interesting as does the way expensive BOSS RV 500.

Running into the EQ loop of a JVM 205H, alongside a BOSS Waza chorus and Vox TimeMachine.

Cheers!

Old Punker

Reaction score
Not sure what to recommend but I will caution you that the EHX Holy Grail Max does affect tone, it tends to cut treble from your signal, at least when it's in the loop. This is ok with some amps, like my SC20H.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I'm considering a reverb pedal with a nice llllooonngggg tail, that don't suck or color the tone!

Any recommendations?
I use a Boss RV-6 on my Origin20H & a JHS Series 3 on my 6101.
Other amps have reverb, so I just use that.
Both have tone adjustment and follow the EQ & chorus in the loop.
Never noticed them sucking tone when I turn them on/off, but I may have no idea what I'm doing.
What have you used that sucks tone?

Ken Ops

Reaction score
What kind of music you looking to use it for? And on that note, any particular types of reverb, other than “big”, that you might need from a pedal?

Without any info, I’d probably suggest something from Strymon, because that seems to be the #1 brand when it comes to “ambient” music. Expensive though.

Oh, and would you prefer a smaller or bigger pedal?

giblesp

Reaction score
Have an mxr chorus which I'd class as a tone sucker, tried an Electric Mistress which was a volume sucker.

The pedals I use alter the tone slightly of course, but it's acceptable. Probably imperceptible for most.

giblesp

Reaction score
What kind of music you looking to use it for? And on that note, any particular types of reverb, other than “big”, that you might need from a pedal?

Without any info, I’d probably suggest something from Strymon, because that seems to be the #1 brand when it comes to “ambient” music. Expensive though.

Oh, and would you prefer a smaller or bigger pedal?

No problem about the size.

The reverb in my JVM is good for small to medium reverb.

I occasionally dive into big soundscapes; bit like 'Chords of Orion,' on youtube.

So just long tails and such.

It took me a while to get the two pedals Im happy with. For me, a 'true bypass,' pedal still affects the tone, as does a buffer of course.

The buffer in the BOSS Waza Chorus is great. But when I tried a BOSS Waza Delay right next to it, I got tone suck. The Chorus into the true bypass of the Vox Time machine has been good enough.

And that's how fussy I am!

Ken Ops

Reaction score
I was using a Neunaber Immerse (v1) for a while. A bit too much for me, but it sure can do some yooge reverb. Sounded sweet overall - no tone suck that I can recall, in the loop of my JVM - and I imagine it would be perfect for ambient stuff.

Havne’t tried v2 (the current one) but it’s probably just as good, maybe better.

Otherwise, the Strymon Blue Sky looks nice, and way more straightforward than the Big Sky, RV-500, or the Eventide monster (Space?) ..

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I use one of the old Marshall Reverb pedals and it sounds really good! Doesn’t affect the tone IMO! Been using it for years!

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I have the ZOOM MS-70CDR (i.e. Chorus/Delay/Reverb) and there are tons of reverbs for ambient tones (29!).
I can't hear any tone suck.
It does all my TBE's.

There's a Shimmer and a Particle verb, and you can stack upto 6 effects at once.

20210404_161744-2000.jpg

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
I was using a Neunaber Immerse (v1) for a while. A bit too much for me, but it sure can do some yooge reverb. Sounded sweet overall - no tone suck that I can recall, in the loop of my JVM - and I imagine it would be perfect for ambient stuff.

Havne’t tried v2 (the current one) but it’s probably just as good, maybe better.

Otherwise, the Strymon Blue Sky looks nice, and way more straightforward than the Big Sky, RV-500, or the Eventide monster (Space?) ..
Not a fan of reverb as a guitar effect, but I've been pretty impressed by the Neunaber Wet a friend of mine had. Sounds huge, lots of control range, not tone suck, can do stereo...love it. That would be the closest to the amazing Lexicon verbs I've heard in a pedal.

dptone5

Reaction score
I actually have both of these exact pedals on my board now. I didn't want to go with the complexity of the Strymon. These are fairly easy to use and dial in, which I like.

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
I have an EH Cathedral Stereo Reverb I use with my pair of Fender Champs and it sounds pretty darn good.

I should really hook it up to my Marshall and see how it sounds, I'm using a Fender Reissue Tube Reverb with that and the EH would be easier for live gigs if I were to go back to gigging and wanted to use the Marshall.