Which reverb pedal?

• Thread starter giblesp
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

giblesp

Reaction score
I own 29 EHX pedals. The only one that doesn't have a level control and that attenuates the signal is my Deluxe Electric Mistress XO. I plan on buying a Tri-Parallel Mixer to route it (and two other pedals) through so that I can, for one thing, adjust its level. Almost all of the 29 (including the DEM) have true bypass switching with the input jack routed through the 3PDT switch directly to the output jack. The DEM also has a dry output that is routed directly to the input. There is no alteration in tone as with most BOSS or many MXR pedals that are buffered.

Edit: Here's an example of two EHX, a Mooer, and an MXR phaser. With the EHX pedals, the volume level remains the same when engaged. The MXR and Mooer actually boost the signal, introducing distortion.

That's interesting, thanks.

I sent my Deluxe EM back unfortunately, the only way I could see getting it to work in my chain would be to do what you are doing, and I get close enough to Andy Summers style with me BOSS Waza Chorus.

I'd agree that the MXR buffers aren't great, but the BOSS Waza Chorus buffer is pretty good. Slight alteration, but by no means any degradation if that makes sense. Whereas the MXR flanger and Black Label Chorus has notable degradation. Worth noting that not all BOSS buffers are the same.
However, 2 BOSS pedals in the chain was a bit too much. My other pedal is TB.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I picked up a Boss RV6 a couple weeks ago for my Origin20h and a few other amps that don’t have reverb and been pretty happy with it through the effects loop. I’ve just used the battery so far, but a 1Spot (supposed to be 1700 mA) arrived today so we’ll see. I’ve daisy chained a few od pedals with a Snark for several years with no issues, but it’s only rated at 400mA so knew it wouldn’t work on my (new) 6 pedal board. I plug everything into a Furman SS-6B-PRO.

neikeel

Reaction score
I've got a Fender FRV-1 '63 that is pretty good for how I use it - bit of ambience and shimmer on clean tones, but then have slap back on the MXR Carbon Copy and big 80s type delays with my DD-3 (alas not working at the moment and no obvious fix at the moment!). The FRV-1 seems to be about £200 which is more than twice what I paid for mine new a few years ago, maybe cheaper stateside?.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I decided to stick my hx stomp back on for now till a nice reverb pops up new on sale for cheap. Definitely still want a dedicated one at some point. :)

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
how cheap are you wanting to go?

Probably around the least $40-$50 to max $100 new. As long as it sounds good, is quiet and a solid build quality. I'll wait till something good goes on sale or pops up on MF deal of the day. Otherwise I'm just sticking to the HXS for now. I just don't buy used pedals or used amps anymore, especially online.

I may be buying a new SD pup or 2 for my LP in the near future so the funds may be better spent on those. I love my HXS for effects but I always find myself constantly screwing around with it. The verbs on it sound great otherwise. I study the hell out of gear, sometimes for many many years before taking a plunge. I may not play high end stuff but I'm still extremely picky with what I get and have high standards. :)

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I study the hell out of gear, sometimes for many many years before taking a plunge. I may not play high end stuff but I'm still extremely picky with what I get and have high standards. :)

me too to the point i miss the good deal or miss out all together.
i thought i was the only one. im in good company now. :cheers:

Ken Ops

Reaction score
Oceans 11 is what I opted for in recent times. Also have access to (real) spring reverb for when that’s just the thing.

Wouldn’t use it live, but that’s okay - for the time being all I do is play at home (including some jams) and record, so yeah.

Didn’t like the HoF2 when I tried it. But it’s pretty capable, for sure. It was the other pedal of two I ended up choosing from. Came down to (subjective) sound quality in the end.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
I have a HOF2 and it's awesome. I've thought about the Bluesky but it just has too many parameters. The HOF has plenty.
The reverb circuit in my AB763 build sounds so stinking good it's ridiculous- and I've used it with the HOF on it's "mod" setting for some pretty cool sounds.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
With my Marshall rig I use a JHS 3-series and it works great. Nothing fancy, and it does the job nicely of adding a touch of depth. On my Vox rig, the onboard reverb is very good, but I have a Joyo Atmosphere when I want to play around with things a bit, well....atmospheric. It really covers a lot of ground if you're looking for a shoegaze sound drenched with shimmer and verb. $80 I think.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I have a BOSS RV-5, and have owned it for a number of years now. The only time I use it is in front of my C5H (maybe not the best application, but that's obviously my only option w/that amp). All modes sound really good. I especially like the Modulation mode. It's good enough that I really haven't considered changing things up. Are there better ones out there? Oh, I'm sure. Maybe I'll go down that rabbit hole someday. The only other amps I play on a regular bases (YJM & Blues Jr) have reverb built in, and I like it on both. I don't like a lot of reverb on dirty tones (just tasteful), but on clean stuff it can sound really pretty.

junk notes

Reaction score
Also, if you are so inclined, check out the analog DIY Stage Center Reverb by Craig Anderton. It's simple to build, fits in a small enclosure, and with it you can use the reverb tank of your choice. Just mount the tank on the underside of your pedalboard and run the two RCA cables to and from it.
Any samples, can you hear the repeats closely together like a cheap reverb - aka glorified delay, or does the digital reverb's affect, sound like a seamless effect - tapering off? If an inexpensive reverb can do that, then IMHO it is worth the DIY investment.

guitarzan2525

Reaction score
I prefer my Boss Rev-2's from the early 90's. They sound amazing to me. I prefer them over my HOF reverb.

Marshall4Metal

Reaction score
1.Dispatch Master
2.Boss RV-6

The Dispatch Master is a Delay/Reverb and has a tad better tone but the Boss sounds great to and has every type of verb and has a very useable delay as well so both are great.