Nordic Beast and the Marshall JCM 800 2205

• Thread starter NewReligion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I was always a fan of John Norum's playing and tone. I was amazed to find out John too prefered and played tyhe 2205/2210. Here he is working with Mikkey Dee (They worked together in "Up From The Ashes" by Don Dokken) and other veteran rockers in Nordic Beast kicking out a new version of Good Man Shining.

Freaking Tone. It is in the amp but can not be set up like a 1987/1959/2203/2204. Mikkey always tunes his drums as they should sound, aweesome.

Feels like a Deep Purple groove IMO. Peace, David ♫

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykh8Sfxo098&list=LLxVVz89TDbtQspcjuX1lw9Q&feature=mh_lolz

JCarno

Reaction score
Very cool tune. Definitely a Purple groove. If you hadn't posted it, I never would have heard it. So, Thanks! :cheers:

mott555

Reaction score
Cool song, thanks for sharing. I love that distorted organ sound though it's pretty low in the mix.

Tone Slinger

Reaction score
Agreed, thanks for posting. I agree about the 2205/2210 sound. It is 'Its Own Thing' and very different to the 2204/2203 sound. I used a few different 2205's over the yrs and noticed that I dug their lead capabilities cause they could cut right through. The rhythm sounds were boxy amd lacked width & headroom imo. I will say that the new one I bought in the box in '90 (it was either a late '89 or early '90 cause I think they stopped making them in '90) was the best one I had. It sounded like a jubilee a bit but had better cut and definition. The ones I got after selling that one were an '85 and a '86 ( both had been converted to el-34s) were, imo, what gave these amps thier bad name. Marshall changed the circuit in '88 I believe. I'd like to find another '89/'90 model ;)

Norum actually bought a 2205 off of Schenker. I think Norum is amazing. I actually like him with a stock strat best....like Aphasia, Treated Bad Again, The Final Countdown, Rock The Night, etc.
This Nordic Beast is great, but its weird that the lone non Nordic dude is the only blond one (bleached)... Micky Dee, he's originally from Greece.

Last edited:

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed, thanks for posting. I agree about the 2205/2210 sound. It is 'Its Own Thing' and very different to the 2204/2203 sound. I used a few different 2205's over the yrs and noticed that I dug their lead capabilities cause they could cut right through. The rhythm sounds were boxy amd lacked width & headroom imo.

Norum actually bought a 2205 off of Schenker. I think Norum is amazing. I actually like him with a stock strat best....like Aphasia, Treated Bad Again, The Final Countdown, Rock The Night, etc.
This Nordic Beast is great, but its weird that the lone non Nordic dude is the only blond one (bleached)... Micky Dee, he's originally from Greece.

Micael Kiriakos Delaoglou (Greek: Μιχαήλ Κυριάκος Δελάογλου), I didn't know that. Good info, thanks.

I had both 2205 & 2210 , but great amps !!!

but ... the 2210 was my fav of the two , i guess i just liked more power lol !!!

Agreed, I have owned many 2205/2210's over the decades but my current 1989 2210 just has the right balance of headroom and saturation. Don't get me wrong I love all of these amps and the circuit but I walked into a GC in Indianapolis many years ago and they had a pre 1986 2205, 1988 2205 and this 1989 2210. The 1989 2210 model was a different animal, quite obvious to everyone that heard it.

Anyway Norum runs KT88's in his 2205's. He also plays Jubilee's at times. They sound good to my ear with a Boss SD-1 pushing the front but I still prefer the 2210.

David ♫

Last edited:

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm really diggin' this band & the guitar tone sounds awesome. :yesway:

KT88's for the win.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
david, off topic, but did you ever get that gadget that adds a gain stage to your marshall amps?

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
david, off topic, but did you ever get that gadget that adds a gain stage to your marshall amps?

Hi Scat. Yes it came and went the same day. As this is a public forum I did not wish to post bad reviews but.........whew, not for me. :cool:

David ♫

hellride

Reaction score
Originally, that song appeared on John's second solo album, "Face the truth". It featured Glenn Hughes on vocals. He also sang on some more tunes on that album including the Phenomena-cover "Still the night". John also covered Thin Lizzy-classic "Opium Trails" but my fav is the title track with Glenn on vocals. Best album John has recorded imo.
john norum - glenn hughes "face the truth" - YouTube

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Originally, that song appeared on John's second solo album, "Face the truth". It featured Glenn Hughes on vocals. He also sang on some more tunes on that album including the Phenomena-cover "Still the night". John also covered Thin Lizzy-classic "Opium Trails" but my fav is the title track with Glenn on vocals. Best album John has recorded imo.
john norum - glenn hughes "face the truth" - YouTube

Right on. I still dig his work with little known guitar master Billy White on Don Dokkens Up From The Ashes.

My favorite song from John is Shimmering Highs. Freaking crying tones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y27QyQ7Yh1w

hellride

Reaction score
Right on. I still dig his work with little known guitar master Billy White on Don Dokkens Up From The Ashes.

My favorite song from John is Shimmering Highs. Freaking crying tones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y27QyQ7Yh1w

That album is great too. "Crash & burn to live again, Up from the ashes I rise.."
Don sang good back then aswell, Mikkey Dee & Peter Baltes on drums and bass, good times :)

Tone Slinger

Reaction score
Agreed, 'Up From The Ashes' was a great album. I saw them on that tour and wouldnt you know it.......Don had laryngitis. He was like "I got laryngitis but we just couldnt cancel on all yall' or something like that. I really liked Dons voice and he could still belt it out back then.....but not that night. He was sounding like fricken Marge Simpson or something. Luckily John Norum and Peter Baltes stepped up and carried the vocals/choruses real well. John is a pretty good singer.
I was totally floored by Norum and White's soloing that night. Probably one of the best 'guitar' laden shows I've ever seen.