• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Not another JTM45 build!

jessemhopkins

Reaction score
How early did it break up? I can run mine at 5 or 6 on the bright channel without much breakup. And, refresh my memory, does it blow fuses when there are no tubes in?
The bright channel breaks up around 2, the normal channel around 4. I suppose I can roll some tubes in the preamp, but I’ll save that for once it’s stable. So far, it has only blown fuses with power tubes installed.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
On Thursday night, I went to fire it back up to measure voltages. I took it off of standby and about a minute later, the mains fuse blew. Had a pretty full plate the last few days, so I put it away.

This evening, I went back at it. First, I pulled up the schematic and buzzed out the entire amp from input jacks to power supply, expecting to find an issue that would jump out. Everything was a spot on match and grounds were all solid. So I moved on. As @neikeel suggested, I removed the output tubes to measure voltages and recorded everything in the chart below. Then I powered off, put the output tubes back in, and powered on again. As soon as I hit the standby switch, I heard a loud hum through the cab and the HT fuse blew. For grins, I swapped the GZ34 for another I have on hand and the exact same thing happened.

I'm at a bit of a loss here, but if the chart triggers anything that you all think is worth checking out please do let me know. TIA.

I haven’t checked my JTM45 with Metrospec iron but your initial b+ is about 100 volts higher than the manual shows, which is about 400v, not 500v. Didn’t you get that Merren PT from a forum member? Maybe it’s not the right PT.

jessemhopkins

Reaction score
I haven’t checked my JTM45 with Metrospec iron but your initial b+ is about 100 volts higher than the manual shows, which is about 400v, not 500v. Didn’t you get that Merren PT from a forum member? Maybe it’s not the right PT.
PT is correct and voltages have all settled down now. I didn’t record the exact B+ but it was somewhere right around 450. Higher than the metro but the same as what Neil and others reported on either Merren or original Drake. I’ve still got another pair of KT66 now to try, I’ll pop them in and take some measurements shortly.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
Good luck. Mine is very close to the Metro specs, almost exactly the same on the power tubes and rectifier, but 20 volts over on V1 and V2. The PI is mixed, p3 and p6 are 20 over, p3 and p8 are 10 under. Below is the Metro specs for reference if anyone is asking.

upload_2021-1-31_12-31-51.jpg

jessemhopkins

Reaction score
I’m pleased to report that I got this amp up and running stably this weekend. With the aid of a friend, we noticed the rectifier had failed in addition to a bad solder joint on one of the output tubes. Retouched the joints, swapped the recto, we’re in business. Only thing left is for me to pin the badge @neikeel sent across the pond on it. I’ll grab some pics and shoot them over later.

jessemhopkins

Reaction score

Here's the finished amp atop my 4x12. An absurd amount of lessons were learned along the way, as they always are, but I'm so glad to have this one done and it sounds fantastic. I'm still dialing in the tone for my setup, but truly superb. Not much noise unless it's cranked, and I likely won't have much occasion for that.

A massive thank you to everyone who helped me out and lent their expertise to this relative noob, especially to @neikeel and @william vogel for your long-suffering during the troubleshooting phase. It feels a bit silly now to put the coffin badge on it, knowing how far off in many ways the look is, but I'll put it on until I build a proper replica someday.

Onto the next one!

Latest posts