Not sure which Studio amp to get. Mostly after clean-ish edge of breakup tones.

• Thread starter stefann
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
I'm thinking the SV20. The Jube's clean can stay clean at a surprisingly high volume if your careful with the input gain, though.

Just make sure you use a 100db+ speaker(s) such as the G12H30 and not 97dbs. A 20 watt amp through a 100db speaker is like a 40 watt amp compared to the same amp through 97 db speaker(s).

You can also go to a slightly higher headroom power tube really easy with the studios.

Seven

Reaction score
You can use the low input of Normal channel in SV20. It stays clean at a pretty high volume... but will it work for you depends on how loud your drummer is :) With 4 inputs and jumping options, you have a better chance with SV20 compared to SC20. I am myself using SV20 as an on the edge breakup clean pedal platform.

I have the SV20/SV212 and even on low power, it's more than loud enough to keep up with an average drummer. Most SV20 users jump the 4 hole, this way you have a better range with the natural high and low eq of the amp.

If you want Marshall clean, it's mostly in the power amp section, which usually requires volume. Some call it loud. :agreed:

At the end of the day, everyone's ears hear differently so my idea of Marshall clean is probably different from yours. The Marshall Vintage Modern has one of the best (smooth) cleans, but again, it's requires more master volume and less pre-amp gain.

In comparison, the Plexi 100 watt wonder is ear shattering, but the cleans are incredible, if you can stand the SPL's.

Different flavors, etc.

Jubilee23

Reaction score
Jubilee man, so versatile and the sound is incredible... with the 2x12 cab the Marshall g12 speakers are perfect for this amp.. I plug my 50th anniversary jtm 1 into the cab as well and it’s fuckin awsome!

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Jubilee man, so versatile and the sound is incredible... with the 2x12 cab the Marshall g12 speakers are perfect for this amp.. I plug my 50th anniversary jtm 1 into the cab as well and it’s fuckin awsome!
I know they stay fairly clean on the clean channel but I dunno if they would be cleaner than the SV20.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Assuming you can use the amp as intended (letting it run, with little restriction, no heavy attenuation...) the best Marshall's for clean, transitioning into early breakup via guitar volume and picking dynamics are non-master Marshall's (IMO). From there, pick the power level you need for the volume you'll be playing (SV20, JTM45, 1987x...). Any master volume Marshall will seem stiffer, and not have the same smooth transition and touch sensitivity (again, IMO). If a master volume is a must, then the single channel Marshall's (SC20, 2204, 2203...) would be good alternatives.

Last edited:

Msharky67

Reaction score
I have been using my DSL50 on the crunch channel with just a little gain. Even halfway with a slight boost just sounds amazing. I just got the NUX Steel Singer pedal and it works well with it. I am surprised the Origin is not being said much after all the hype. At reading all the reviews from varies retailers raving about it. I wouldn't disagree that the SV20 would be the best option.

CroTone

Reaction score
As the title says I want something that does a good clean-ish tone, the kind that gets overdriven if you hit the top strings hard on the bridge pickup but doesn't sound like you have an overdrive pedal on. I have an attenuator for home use so bright cap isn't an issue. I'm planning on using an SD-1 or maybe buying a dedicated boost to unlock the sweet Marshall overdrive, I also have a couple fuzz pedals and a Rat that I use for specific things so I don't want an overwhelming amount of gain on the amp.

It's pretty hard to find good "clean" demos of these amps because everyone cranks them to 10 because apparently that's what you're supposed to do with Marshalls. I know the Plexi should be the "cleanest" because it's the most vintage-y or whatever, but almost every demo it feels like by the time you reach 9 o clock on the volume it already sounds like an overdrive pedal, and there are almost no good demos of the low-sensitivity inputs. The Silver Jubilee has a dedicated "clean channel" but even that seems to not stay clean for very long.
The SuperFunAwesomeHappyTime Pedal Show has a great SC20H demo and I'm super impressed with the clean sound of the Low input, even with the Master way up and the preamp on 5-6! So this has put the mini JCM in the lead, which is surprising to me because between the Plexi being an older circuit and the Jubilee having a clean channel, the JCM was initially the last I considered.

What would you pick? Any SV20H owners getting usable clean-ish edge of breakup tones that keep up with a sane drummer? Should I just get the JCM? For what it's worth I like the Plexi look the best by far so I would love it if that turned out to be the better choice, but I do have a special place in my heart for the JCM since I grew up listening to it :p
Based on what you wrote, out of three studios, SV20 seems to be the one for you.
I have SC20 and it does produce great clean sound when you plug into the low-sensitivity input. However, I don't care for the cleans, I am here for the roar!:D
And SC20 does roar substantially. :hippie:

stefann

Reaction score
I think the SV20 would be the one for you.

I have both SC20 And SV20

Cheers :cheers:
Thanks a lot for weighing in. One question. How would you compare the cleans you get from the low input normal channel of the SV20 to the ones you get from the SC20 with the master high up and the preamp low, on the low input? Both tone and volume wise.

rick16v

Reaction score
Bassbreaker 15 on the med gain channel with the gain turned right down.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for weighing in. One question. How would you compare the cleans you get from the low input normal channel of the SV20 to the ones you get from the SC20 with the master high up and the preamp low, on the low input? Both tone and volume wise.
I'll give you my input on this also (we'll see if @tce63 agrees). The SC20 has a noticeable low mid notch, which is probably to keep the low end tight. The SV20 is fuller sounding in the low mid frequencies. This affects the overall tone in general, not just cleans.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give you my input on this also (we'll see if @tce63 agrees). The SC20 has a noticeable low mid notch, which is probably to keep the low end tight. The SV20 is fuller sounding in the low mid frequencies. This affects the overall tone in general, not just cleans.

You so right !

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plexis have awesome cleans. Easy to roll off guitar volume even when boosted and get a stellar clean.

The SC will do it too. It will sound not as forward.

The Plexi will be more forward sounding per it's circuit. Up front.

stefann

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all your replies guys! Hopefully this thread helps out other people like me in the future as well, since it's kinda hard to find information online about the clean/edge of breakup tones of these amps. I haven't 100% ruled out the JTM45 yet, especially since starting this thread I managed to get a sweet new job :fever: but realistically I'll most likely end up going the SV20H + matching cab route. Can't wait to own my first tube Marshall! It's been a goal of mine ever since I started playing guitar, so for over half my life now. Thanks a lot again guys!:h5:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all your replies guys! Hopefully this thread helps out other people like me in the future as well, since it's kinda hard to find information online about the clean/edge of breakup tones of these amps. I haven't 100% ruled out the JTM45 yet, especially since starting this thread I managed to get a sweet new job :fever: but realistically I'll most likely end up going the SV20H + matching cab route. Can't wait to own my first tube Marshall! It's been a goal of mine ever since I started playing guitar, so for over half my life now. Thanks a lot again guys!:h5:

The JTM45 has a flabby bottom. Clean wise it's cool. I'd go plexi. From your list of wants? It'll do.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I've had higher powered Marshalls in the past when i gigged a lot. Times were different then also.

I've toyed with the idea of of a JTM45 or 1987X lately. I have the SV20H and 2525H Studio heads. Very happy with the tones they produce. I'm sticking with them because I prefer a cranked up amp. It's hard to do that these days with any more power than that. Buy what you can use is my advice.

Latest posts