Not sure which Studio amp to get. Mostly after clean-ish edge of breakup tones.

• Thread starter stefann
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stefann

Reaction score
I've had higher powered Marshalls in the past when i gigged a lot. Times were different then also.

I've toyed with the idea of of a JTM45 or 1987X lately. I have the SV20H and 2525H Studio heads. Very happy with the tones they produce. I'm sticking with them because I prefer a cranked up amp. It's hard to do that these days with any more power than that. Buy what you can use is my advice.

I have an attenuator, so volume isn't really an issue, the main drawback to the JTM45 and 1987X for me is the ungodly weight. Well I guess the JTM45 isn't really that heavy, but when you add in a cab, a pedalboard and a guitar, the 5 or 6 kilos that the SV20H shaves off the total weight really come in handy. Not to mention smaller form factor and easier to carry.

How would you compare the clean/edge of breakup tones on the SV20H and 2525H, volume and tone wise? What about vs a reasonable drummer in a rehearsal room?

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I have an attenuator, so volume isn't really an issue, the main drawback to the JTM45 and 1987X for me is the ungodly weight. Well I guess the JTM45 isn't really that heavy, but when you add in a cab, a pedalboard and a guitar, the 5 or 6 kilos that the SV20H shaves off the total weight really come in handy. Not to mention smaller form factor and easier to carry.

How would you compare the clean/edge of breakup tones on the SV20H and 2525H, volume and tone wise? What about vs a reasonable drummer in a rehearsal room?

In the case of an attenuator and you're happy with that then I maybe you should more consider higher wattage. Sorry if i missed that detail in your post. I just don't like attenuators myself because of the restraint to the speakers. I prefer a smaller amp that i don't have to reign in. I use my Studios with a 2x12 at the most. Through a 1x12 its extra toasty.

I only got a couple of sessions in before we all had to run and hide from the virus. It was mostly a positive experience. I was told i could've been a touch louder but with such a small sample i never got a chance to experiment more with cab placement. This was my first time at this rehearsal space. It was a recording studio that was well insulated and damped. We were also raw and not miked up.

In the Studio models i still recommended the SV from your description. I don't know if I can describe clean to edge of breakup. A NMV amp is great for guitar setting interplay with the amp though. I play the SV20H more but at the same time i love my 2525H. I just finally got the matching slant 2x12s for each and i was on the 2525H just last night. I will have all 3 eventually.

Anything less than the classics and the ability to use them unrestrained is a compromise. But, the Studios sound great and allow me to use them at home as well as taking them out for jams without the need for attenuation which I'm all for that.

Denis St Guinefort

Reaction score
As standed by other contributors, NMV are the option. I owned many Marshalls since the very early 70's and a MV does affect the sound. It also depends on the volume one needs. Studio wise, 20W is already quite loud. Unless your drummer channels John Bonham, it's enough.

In my case, I play/record at home. Even the NMV 5/0.5W Origin combo on low power is WAY too much. Most contributors prefer of course the SV amps. However, if one can use it at full volume, the said combo presents an affordable/satisfactory option for demos IF the combo is plugged in a decent cab (mine is the 1X12 Traynor with its Celestion Greenback). The combo's 8" leaves much to be desired.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score

Having an attenuator is a plus, as long as it's a "good' attenuator. A crappy attenuator can ruin the tone of a good amp. Also, keep in mind, the 2525 is voiced differently, as are all Jubilee's. It's a darker tonality than your SV20 or SC20. The Jubilee clean tends to want to stay clean, so not as sensitive to picking dynamics as a non-master amp.

Edit: Also remember, if the stock EL34's break up too early for one's taste, you can always replace them with a more efficient power tube (6L6, KT...).

Last edited:

Mystic38

Reaction score
*cough *cough* Vintage Modern *cough*

easy to get JTM45 tone as that is its base circuit, and you can get the 100W if you need clean volume. Low dynamic range mode, master on 10 then body/detail to suit. Most undervalued Marshall amp

How would you say the cleans on the 2525H compare to JTM45 cleans? I love the idea of a JTM45 but can't justify it to my wallet (or back) for now

if you are only looking at the Studio range of amps, then the 2525H may well provide more clean volume than the SV.. without a side by side comparison its hard to tell tho..

Last edited:

mojodelic

Reaction score
Returned the SC20C (MV) for my SV20C; never looked back. I do use a soak for home use and gigs because it's a loud beast. YMMV.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
That's what I was hoping to hear. So the low input on the SV20 stays pretty clean at high volumes without the need to fiddle with the guitar volume knob too much?

Your apparent aversion to "fiddling with the the guitar volume knob" coupled with a seeming desire to use foot/switch/stomp/box/thingies as the solution for varying your sound complicates things a bit! The subtleties and nuances of tones achieved by varying the input level of your guitar signal (either by changing the aggression with which you pick and/or guitar volume knob) into the amp is the key element of using a tube amp for great sounds.
Just My $.02,
Gene

Last edited:

proxy

Reaction score
As the title says I want something that does a good clean-ish tone, the kind that gets overdriven if you hit the top strings hard on the bridge pickup but doesn't sound like you have an overdrive pedal on. I have an attenuator for home use so bright cap isn't an issue. I'm planning on using an SD-1 or maybe buying a dedicated boost to unlock the sweet Marshall overdrive, I also have a couple fuzz pedals and a Rat that I use for specific things so I don't want an overwhelming amount of gain on the amp.

It's pretty hard to find good "clean" demos of these amps because everyone cranks them to 10 because apparently that's what you're supposed to do with Marshalls. I know the Plexi should be the "cleanest" because it's the most vintage-y or whatever, but almost every demo it feels like by the time you reach 9 o clock on the volume it already sounds like an overdrive pedal, and there are almost no good demos of the low-sensitivity inputs. The Silver Jubilee has a dedicated "clean channel" but even that seems to not stay clean for very long.
The SuperFunAwesomeHappyTime Pedal Show has a great SC20H demo and I'm super impressed with the clean sound of the Low input, even with the Master way up and the preamp on 5-6! So this has put the mini JCM in the lead, which is surprising to me because between the Plexi being an older circuit and the Jubilee having a clean channel, the JCM was initially the last I considered.

What would you pick? Any SV20H owners getting usable clean-ish edge of breakup tones that keep up with a sane drummer? Should I just get the JCM? For what it's worth I like the Plexi look the best by far so I would love it if that turned out to be the better choice, but I do have a special place in my heart for the JCM since I grew up listening to it :p

Fargen DBC

Last edited:

Jubilant

Reaction score
I own the jubilee studio and the clean channel with rhythm clip engaged with a stratocaster sounds awesome.Has a nice jangle/edge of break up tone add a overdrive and it’s perfect.I will say that the strat sounds better for these tones in the clean channel.For me the lead channel shines with a Gibson.

Latest posts