NPD - Chase Tone Fuzz Fella BC108C *WOW*

• Thread starter Maggot Brain
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Ok ok ok, I need another fuzz like a hole in my head but.... I've been really craving some silicon variety as I've generally owned mostly germanium pedals. On top of that I also stumbled upon the Chase Tone website and was blown away by Kyle Chase's pedals. As a Hendrix maniac I can tell Kyle has a keen ear for Jimi's effects and tone and it shows in a lot of his pedals. Anyways, I've been obsessing over anything Chase Tone and already ordered the Tru Talk and drooling over his Fuzz Fella and Red Velvet Fuzz. He has some demos of Julijan Eric who has some MEAN Hendrix chops and he's getting very impressive results with Kyle's pedals. I know if Julijan can get that Jimi sound out of these pedals then I can too.... And wouldn't you know it? My favorite local guitar shop got a used Fuzz Fella and I tried to resist... I'm talking BAD GAS... Kinda worried me, I tried to forget about it and focus but... It kept creeping into my mind "it's there, go try it out, try to leave without it, its there waiting for you, exactly what you've been GASing for..."

So, I told myself OK but another pedal has to fund it because I'm just way too carried away and having way to much fun with my rig.

I raced down there and gave it a spin... yeah, I knew by the first lick this thing was nice. Played around with the controls, LOVED the tweakability and this thing just SCREAMS. I was sold and made the trade AND got some cash back too which made me feel better about getting yet another fuzz.

The pedal,
First I have to say, the sustain of this fuzz is just insane. I've never played a fuzz with this much sustain WOW! It literally screams, notes play effortlessly and jump out of the guitar... Just WOW. I don't know what's up, if it's the transistors pairing or probably everything combined, this thing sings and screams.

The Mids, Feel and Bass controls are a fantastic addition to any fuzz and work wonderful with the circuit. I honestly feel this should kinda be a necessity with fuzzes, it allows fine tailoring that imo is VERY useful especially if you're a fuzz junkie. The core voicing is imo that of a prime example late 60s silicon fuzz face, think live Hendrix in '69, it has that sound to a T. It cleans up beautifully and can add that glassy sparkly treble boost when you roll the guitar volume down.

BUT wait there's more!
Using the controls you can dial it in as an OD and get some wonderful overdrive. This I REALLY love as I find Jimi's Fillmore (BOG) performances have this type of sound, not quite fuzz but not quite not fuzz. This sound can be hard to dial in faithfully with typical silicon fuzzes. It is said by Roger Mayer that his Axis fuzz circuit was used at these Fillmore performances but I don't think it was the same circuit that is sold retail... Anyways, for the fuzz and/or Hendrix obsessed this is a pretty unique tone and the Fuzz Fella does a terrific job and getting VERY close, closer than I've gotten before.

I highly recommend anyone interested in Fuzz to check these bad fellas out. I would also highly recommend this for those that aren't really that into fuzz or don't really like fuzz, this pedal has a lot of tones in it and the way it plays so effortlessly makes it extremely accessible imo... This would be phenomenal for the Gilmour sound as well. Just an EXCELLENT fuzz and I would dare to say the best fuzz I have played yet, better than the Analogman BC108 I have played (imo).

Now I face a new dilemma! I'm GASing hard for the Red Velvet and Purple Stardust 😄 🤣 😂 😆

Ok this is the end of my traditional extremely long winded post. Happy new year!

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I ordered the BC109C a few days ago. Really looking forward to it!

https://chasetone.com/fuzz-fella-teal-bc109c/

View attachment 122465
You are in for a treat!

Spent all day playing and using my Fuzz Fella and have to admit it's the best fuzz I've ever owned or played... I have owned atleast 20+ fuzz faces/clones and played probably dozens more including vintage Fuzz Faces. The Fuzz Fella is like... perfection imo and I'm not really a fan of silicon fuzzes at all. Can't believe I'm saying this but if I was stuck on a desert island it's the fuzz I'd want to be stuck with forever. With the controls you can actually dial in a very germanium like sound and feel. I've played silicon that sounded like germanium before but the Fuzz Fella is just 👌. I'm still just blown away with the sustain this fuzz has!

Let me know what you think when it arrives!

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are in for a treat!

Spent all day playing and using my Fuzz Fella and have to admit it's the best fuzz I've ever owned or played... I have owned atleast 20+ fuzz faces/clones and played probably dozens more including vintage Fuzz Faces. The Fuzz Fella is like... perfection imo and I'm not really a fan of silicon fuzzes at all. Can't believe I'm saying this but if I was stuck on a desert island it's the fuzz I'd want to be stuck with forever. With the controls you can actually dial in a very germanium like sound and feel. I've played silicon that sounded like germanium before but the Fuzz Fella is just 👌. I'm still just blown away with the sustain this fuzz has!

Let me know what you think when it arrives!

Thanks for the info. Not sure when it will arrive. Got an email from Jason saying he'd let me know when it's ready to go.

I'm very picky with Fuzz. Tone Bender is almost the only circuit I play. I do have a Ratsbane, which I'll play turned way down. My Twin Bender is currently the only fuzz pedal I play. It'll be hard to beat. Fantastic pedal. Such a sad story it'll not be made anymore (as far as the family says). But I have the Chase Secret Preamp and just wanted to try out a Fuzz Fella. The 109 seems like a good fit for me. Looking forward to trying it out. A lot.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Not sure when it will arrive. Got an email from Jason saying he'd let me know when it's ready to go.

I'm very picky with Fuzz. Tone Bender is almost the only circuit I play. I do have a Ratsbane, which I'll play turned way down. My Twin Bender is currently the only fuzz pedal I play. It'll be hard to beat. Fantastic pedal. Such a sad story it'll not be made anymore (as far as the family says). But I have the Chase Secret Preamp and just wanted to try out a Fuzz Fella. The 109 seems like a good fit for me. Looking forward to trying it out. A lot.
Yeah I feel you man, over the years I've become super picky with fuzz too. I usually don't gel with silicon fuzzes at all unless I'm just trying to get that specific silicon sound for a reason (I know that sounds redundant haha) but the incredible harmonic richness, the tone, the clean up, the crazy sustain and the fine tuning via the controls, the Fuzz Fella has actually blown me away.

When you get yours try experimenting with it as an OD too. It has more tricks than just fuzz and can give you sparkling cleans too.

Geeze

Reaction score
The FF is my first fuzz [since the 70's] based on the sound clips and the description. When I got it I was underwhelmed running into 1987/1959s with blended channels [4/5 or more] with an Ironman with PAFs. I'm not a fan of the sputtering sound of the speaker dying a horrible death tone so I stuck it on the shelf as a lesson learned - still don't like fuzzes. Kyle was extremely helpful with suggestions but I still wasn't happy.

Fast forward to finishing a Tele build with the BP La Brea set and gave the FF another whirl. Light went on - with the amp settings this thing works WAAAAAAAYYYYY better with single coils than PAFs for the way I'm running it. With P90's also tasty. I suspect it will be a few months of experimenting as it offers a very wide range of sounds as mentioned above.

I can see you all smiling at this fool but when I look back at the guys I admire for their tone they all played HBs. The SC guys I admired their chops but not the tone.

It's a keeper.

Russ

Amadeus91

Reaction score
Congratulations on the purchase! Kyle is a Great guy and as you found out
makes quality gear.
IMG-1758.jpg

rocker68

Reaction score
What's the difference in sound/tone/feel, between the 108 and 109 to transistors ?

Amadeus91

Reaction score
Nice Kylyde !!!
Thank you!!!!!!!! It has a switchable built in buffer, so it will "play nice" with other pedals.
Sold him my spare Merren RS OT, last year for a BluesBreaker he was building.

MachX

Reaction score
@Maggot Brain, first, the Dunlop BOG fuzz face was the best fuzz you’d ever heard. Then, the AM Sunface BART was the best fuzz in the history of the world, and now the Chase Fuzz Fella takes the crown as the best ever. You seem to be superseding yourself every time you try a new fuzz!

I returned the Fella. He can’t even compare against the Sunface (or the BOG for that matter). It has some weird exponential (like 10x) spurt in fuzz gain right at the last 5% tweak of the knob.

Arrested Dev

Reaction score
Anyone care to compare the Fuzz Fella with the Fulltone '69, please?

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's heeeeere!

I've only spent about 30 minutes with it so far. Lots of possibilities for sure. Love what I've heard so far. I'll play with it some tomorrow, I hope.

FuzzFellaSm.jpg

cirrusmajor

Reaction score
@Maggot Brain, first, the Dunlop BOG fuzz face was the best fuzz you’d ever heard. Then, the AM Sunface BART was the best fuzz in the history of the world, and now the Chase Fuzz Fella takes the crown as the best ever. You seem to be superseding yourself every time you try a new fuzz!

I returned the Fella. He can’t even compare against the Sunface (or the BOG for that matter). It has some weird exponential (like 10x) spurt in fuzz gain right at the last 5% tweak of the knob.
so, would you say the Sunface is far superior than the Fuzz Fella (or any other Fuzz on the market?)

im looking at a lot of alternatives such as Fuzz Fella, Tru Fi Two Face, Solidgold Spanish Castle, Foxrox CC/HS…

should i just go with Analogman once and for all?

thanks my friend!

MachX

Reaction score
so, would you say the Sunface is far superior than the Fuzz Fella (or any other Fuzz on the market?)

im looking at a lot of alternatives such as Fuzz Fella, Tru Fi Two Face, Solidgold Spanish Castle, Foxrox CC/HS…

should i just go with Analogman once and for all?

thanks my friend!
The AM is always a safe bet. But it’s expensive and takes time to make. But in my opinion it is overrated. I received the new Dunlop Shrine Series fuzz face and it has replaced all fuzz on my board. I highly recommend you take a look at it. Unlike AM, it is switchable between Germanium and Silicon and has a switchable buffer.