NPD - Eventide H90

• Thread starter FleshOnGear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far I don’t have much more to say than wow. Tonight I really only played around with some flanger, micropitch, and various reverb algorithms. The sound quality is fantastic, and this thing goes deep. The flangers stack up against my vintage A/DA Flanger, and the reverbs are inspiring compared to what I was using previously. It will probably kick four pedals off of my board, which is long overdue for a rewiring anyway. I can’t wait to see what else I can do with this thing!

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
So far I don’t have much more to say than wow. Tonight I really only played around with some flanger, micropitch, and various reverb algorithms. The sound quality is fantastic, and this thing goes deep. The flangers stack up against my vintage A/DA Flanger, and the reverbs are inspiring compared to what I was using previously. It will probably kick four pedals off of my board, which is long overdue for a rewiring anyway. I can’t wait to see what else I can do with this thing!
Congratulations and happy NPD!

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Just watched a demo. Wow! The sounds are amazing. Hope you have a lots of fun with it!

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a couple H9s, and I agree that Eventide has some incredible algorithms. Most I have been able to replicate reasonably well in my Axe-FX, but their micro pitch stuff is still in a class of its own.
The Axe-FX is next level stuff, but for a couple reasons it’s beyond where I’m currently willing to go with my gear. The H90 offers great quality for its price point, IMO, and I like how I’ll be able to integrate the H90 with my analog stuff. It has a limitation of only allowing two effects per patch, but also has two inserts per patch. Along with my ES-8 and MIDI, this opens up a lot of possibilities. I just hope I can motivate myself to wrap my head around those possibilities.

JSJ900

Reaction score
Congrats! I picked up a Pitchfactor a while ago and am still tweaking it. Yes, the micropitch is awesome. Running dual delays in stereo has staved off my gas for a Boss SDE 3000. I’m running in stereo anyway, not WDW. Might look into an H9 at some point, but I’m happy for now.

Don’t know if it would work with the H9, but I got a 3 button rts Digitech footswitch for the pitchfactor. It gives me a button for Tap tempo, flex and bypass I think. Pawn shop find <$20, new-in box with a factory wrapped rts chord. Really makes it more versatile on the fly, without messing with MIDI.

Last edited:

Vascular

Reaction score
I have the H90 and and H9 Gone back and forth from axefx floor and axe Fx rack units. After multi changes; the H90 is just better. The H90 takes a lot of working through the parameters to get what you want but in the end; it’s the only thing I need. H9 is a backup.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love to see how the reverbs sound compared to my UAFX Golden and how the MicroPItch compares to the dedicated Eventide MicroPitch pedal.
I have no experience with those pedals, unfortunately. I was originally looking at just getting a Micropitch pedal, but I figured the H90 was a big step up and that I might as well go for it. Found a great deal and couldn’t say no. The H90 does 1000x more, and I only paid 3x more than a new Micropitch pedal. The micropitch algorithm in the H90 should be able to do all of the usual VH style stereo stuff, but I can’t say for certain if all of the functionality that allows for crazier sounds is in there.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I have the H90 and and H9 Gone back and forth from axefx floor and axe Fx rack units. After multi changes; the H90 is just better. The H90 takes a lot of working through the parameters to get what you want but in the end; it’s the only thing I need. H9 is a backup.
The Fractal UI is much easier to work with IMO. But I do love my H90--we just started playing Fool in the Rain and pulling up a sound to mimic the Blue Box in the solo was easy. I will never tap into 1% of this thing's capabilities lol

Vascular

Reaction score
D
The Fractal UI is much easier to work with IMO. But I do love my H90--we just started playing Fool in the Rain and pulling up a sound to mimic the Blue Box in the solo was easy. I will never tap into 1% of this thing's capabilities lol
Def the H90 is a bit harder to manipulate BUT I have about 4 pre-programmed sounds on the H90 (for now some variation +/- micro pitch, phase, delay, verb) that I need live depending on the song and it keeps things easy. I’m convinced the more I change in the live setting, the more I fight with live tone/sound. However; In my studio I have time to futz for hours with fractal and Eventide sounds. But on the fly in really try to keep it simple- Ie live scenario. I do keep my fractal on my live rig just in case a tube blows etc on my rig. Has not happened yet but it will.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have found the H90 UI to be less than intuitive. I haven’t gone through it with the manual yet, and it doesn’t make a ton of sense to me right off the bat.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I have found the H90 UI to be less than intuitive. I haven’t gone through it with the manual yet, and it doesn’t make a ton of sense to me right off the bat.
It def takes some time to get comfortable with

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just found out that the H90 doesn’t have analog dry-through. I haven’t yet decided how to feel about this, but it’s likely not a big deal.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supercongrats

:cheers:

I've been using an Eclipse for many years and have an H9 on the floor as well. Eventide FX are out of this world. The only things I've ever tried to come close are Kurzweil's Rumour and Mangler, but unfortunately they're discontinued and rather scarce

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really need to go through this with the manual at my side. Last night I tied to tweak a room reverb preset, and I thought I saved the preset, but it was gone when I went to look for it. Doh!

I also want to try the H90 in a loop on my ES8 to see if I can hear a difference between the bypassed audio and the audio going through the H90. I expect that the converters are top notch and that I won’t be able to hear a difference, but the test will make me feel better for being sure.

Some guys on TGP talk about converters causing latency that messes up the feel, but I don’t buy that. There’s latency built in to sound traveling through the air - standing 6 feet away from an amp causes about 5.3ms of delay before the sound hits your ear - so I think that the latency claim is bogus.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Some guys on TGP talk about converters causing latency that messes up the feel, but I don’t buy that
They might be talking about when you are using the pedal while being hooked to your computer via USB. I notice a bit of addl latency and substantial noise in that situation. It goes away when you unplug the usb

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: I did an A/B with the H90 in the loop of my PS-100. I put the H90 in bypass mode then used the foot switch function of the the PS effects loop to toggle it. Strangely, the bypass mode of the H90 sounds better to me. It has more bass than the true bypass. It’s not totally transparent, which is normally not good, but it seems fuller. Weird.

Latest posts