Marshall 9100 And 9200 W Jmp1

• Thread starter MarshallMonster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MarshallMonster

Reaction score
The output transformers are smaller in the 50/50. Looking at the face from left to right...my only ecc81 is in the very first slot. I’m assuming that someone mistakenly replaced one of these preamp tubes with an 83 assuming they were better as they are in every position in other amps. What happens in this scenario?

I believed in my set up so turned it on and it worked great. The 16ohm, open back green backs in the peavey cab sounded way louder. Than the 8ohm vintage 30s. Does resistance make louder? Would a 16 be a louder version of the exact same?

Also vintage 30s are 60 watt

And greenbacksare 25watt so a green back is way closer to being fully utilized by the same output wattage. At only 50 watts of output neither one was reaching potential

In the same way that speakers don’t really come alive until they hit a certain amount volume. Low volume mimics compression. What do you about this because I never hear it talked about?

tschrama

Reaction score
corgans 2203 had KT88, when he still wasnt so experienced. It wasnt a very educated choice. Butch Vig is the ingredient that made it all work.

Later on Corgan prefered the Mesa Boogie Strategy 500. Having four 6L6 and two 6550 per side. Even after the reinion he used that power amp.

MarshallMonster

Reaction score
I gave a link to the manual. Here is a link to the schematics.

It is the series 9000 amplifiers.

https://drtube.com/library/schematics/69-marshall-schemas#M9000

What I’m really curious about is how ohms and relative speaker wattage to amp output effects the sound of the speaker. Same speaker different ohms same output.

As for same or similar speaker and different Watts ...the only example I can think of is greenback 20 vs 25....

But a better example would be similar speaker and very different Watts. In my above example as pictured I had the peavey with Gbs 25 watt vs the vintage 30s 60 Watts.

The gb25s were a lot louder. Fairness of comparison is twisted because the peavey has an open back slot near the top of the back about two inches wide and nearly the whole width of the cab but still. Louder

50 Watts output into a 100 watt cab compared to 50 Watts output into a 240 watt cab.

I’ve seen your posts elsewhere.

corgans 2203 had KT88, when he still wasnt so experienced. It wasnt a very educated choice. Butch Vig is the ingredient that made it all work.

Later on Corgan prefered the Mesa Boogie Strategy 500. Having four 6L6 and two 6550 per side. Even after the reinion he used that power amp.

All he needed to know at the time was that he didn’t like what it had. Mike rubano put kt88s and it sprang to life in his words. Cheap Chinese kt88s. He later tried more expensive ones when he could afford it but he didn’t like them. Cheap Chinese ones break up earlier. I didn’t know exactly which Chinese ones he used so I bought gold lions. I’m going to buy 80s nos versions and try them out. I also wish I knew exactly how hot they were run. Kt88s have a bias range but I can only assume he ran them at the high end of that range. I think I’m at 60. I’m aware he changed to the Jmp1 with the 500 later. He had his amps cloned and set up in racks. Never heard anything specific about the tubes in the 500. We can assume what they came with but I can’t assume it stayed that way unless you’ve read it somewhere. Everything I’ve read about kt88s makes it seemlike the best choice for me as well. What are you running?

Bigger problem for these 9000 series amps is that I don’t think kt88s will fit.

Last edited:

tschrama

Reaction score
allways hated my 2203, no matter what tubes I was running, offcourse no difference BTW. Power amp breakup is set by the output xf in combination with B+, not the output tubes.

Sold the 2203, still loving my 500.

MarshallMonster

Reaction score
Having a hard time understanding. The first bit offcourse no difference btw. I don’t understand.

I don’t know what xs or b+ means. I’ve been told that cheaper tubes distort more easily. Break up is earlier.

MarshallMonster

Reaction score
CD29617D-EDDC-4A5E-8F2F-9A4E4079AB5B.jpeg

Guitar into switchblade which splits into seperate big muffs. One V5 into jcm800, one op amp pumpkin pie into 9100 which splits into two, both amps into one cab each. Plus jcm800 cab so 3 cabs. Trying to get equal volume impossible but fun. Still no word on the speaker questions

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
What I’m really curious about is how ohms and relative speaker wattage to amp output effects the sound of the speaker. Same speaker different ohms same output.

As for same or similar speaker and different Watts ...the only example I can think of is greenback 20 vs 25....

But a better example would be similar speaker and very different Watts. In my above example as pictured I had the peavey with Gbs 25 watt vs the vintage 30s 60 Watts.

The gb25s were a lot louder. Fairness of comparison is twisted because the peavey has an open back slot near the top of the back about two inches wide and nearly the whole width of the cab but still. Louder

50 Watts output into a 100 watt cab compared to 50 Watts output into a 240 watt cab.

I’ve seen your posts elsewhere.
What do you mean by Gbs. Is it a brand or a type or a model?
Do you mean green back speaker?

mickeydg5

Reaction score
Having a hard time understanding. The first bit offcourse no difference btw. I don’t understand.

I don’t know what xs or b+ means. I’ve been told that cheaper tubes distort more easily. Break up is earlier.
B+ is the high tension or higher voltage feeding the amplifier.
By output xf he meant output transformer or OT.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
By the way a 16 ohm version and 8 ohm version of the same speaker can be different and produce different sound emphasis. You have to analyze the specifications to understand what the two versions will be doing different.

blkdog

Reaction score
View attachment 52179 Would this be right? B to 16ohm cab mono and A to 8 ohm cab mono? From the Jmp1 is left and right outputs

Should be fine, I've had a 9200 for 30 years and it`s done a few thousand gigs and never let me down, I tinkered with stereo back in the 90`s but gave the idea up and ran out of the A channel for ever, but your hook up will be fine.
It will drive those cabs like a mofo, great amps, just super heavy, I still have mine and it`s parked in a rack that doesn`t move these days and still sounds as good as ever.