Oiled neck or painted ?

• Thread starter pmag55
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

alhayesmusic

Reaction score
Think of all of the "classic"guitars - the ones that every new model is trying to replicate. Fender Esquire, Fender Tele, Fender Strat, Gibson LP, Flying V, Firebird, 335, 137, etc. They all have oiled or stained necks. At least all of the originals did. There is nothing wrong with a painted neck. It just doesn't feel right to me. I prefer my guitars to not have poly on the bodies, either. My FB does, but my LP, V, and Strat are all nitro or polyester coats. Just personal preference.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Any $2K Les Paul I play live gets the sandpaper treatment on the back of the neck. I wouldn't do it to my $3K and $5K Historics, but a $2K Les Paul? Yeah. They get beat to crap anyway. If you gig regular like, you'll sweat all over it and wear the frets down anyway.

Otherwise, it's Fenders with satin finishes for me. I have no idea what an "oiled" neck is, but I don't think I want a neck that's got any kind of oil on the back of it.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
bacon grease for the win.:applause:

I ain't Ralph Macchio in Crossroads so it really doesn't matter for me. I'm more of a vertical player w/ a wide reach anyway.

pmag55

Reaction score
Ok, so when I see axes like a wolfgang or a strat etc. the oiled or satin finished necks are naturally associated with the guitar but every other guitar I:E jacksons , lp's etc. look oddly strange with their necks oiled. Should that bother you after paying 24 or 25 hundred for a guitar? By the way, I did play on a peavey wolfgang once and that neck was slicker than goose sh__t. Way more so than the Fender version wolfgang.

BobPeabody67

Reaction score
Ok, so when I see axes like a wolfgang or a strat etc. the oiled or satin finished necks are naturally associated with the guitar but every other guitar I:E jacksons , lp's etc. look oddly strange with their necks oiled. Should that bother you after paying 24 or 25 hundred for a guitar? By the way, I did play on a peavey wolfgang once and that neck was slicker than goose sh__t. Way more so than the Fender version wolfgang.

My custom shop Jackson Soloist has a painted neck because it's all one piece and I don't think they did neck throughs with bare necks in '87. It looks good with the paint, but it does get sticky with any sweat. If/when I get another made to fit my needs a bit better, I'd look into either a bare unfinished neck or even another painted crackle neck, but then either have it satin finished or sand it down.

Btw... What color body are you going for? That would help us out a bit.:lol:

pmag55

Reaction score
I kinda like the gunmetal gray. I looks good with a black head stock. And yes, they do look awesome with matching necks.