• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Okay, now I'm Pissed! GL KT 77!

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score
So like just about a month ago I was saying how much I liked these tubes...

Well...now their getting funky on me... They have about maybe 20 hours on them..

Their getting really strong in the mids...like way too strong, and my amp exhibits a loud pop coming off standby. I replaced the switch thinking it was getting old. But the problem was still there after the new switch was installed.

I put in the old Winged Cs and the problem disappeared. Plus the amp sounded better and normal. Those winged Cs probably are 20 years old...they look older, but they still sound awesome...

WTF.. you just cannot get good sounding tubes anymore that LAST...at least those that sound as good as these Winged Cs.

Ignorance is bliss... If you haven't tried them you haven't a clue. I use to think the Shuguang tubes were the best sounding tubes out there... But, after hearing these Cs... I've been awakend once again to the greatness of the past.

Now if you even want to buy the new crap...you gotta pay 30% more...

Man, I wonder what my Grampa's beer tasted like...and I think certain ones today taste good..

LMAO..again...ignorance is bliss.

end user

Reaction score
I have been running JJ's across the board in everything for 20 years now. Had 1 pre-tube fail prematurely on me in that time. Occasionally I will run a Tung Sol 12AT7W if I want the gain to chill a little but other than that, been all JJ's for me.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Well...now their getting funky on me... They have about maybe 20 hours on them..

Their getting really strong in the mids...like way too strong, and my amp exhibits a loud pop coming off standby. I replaced the switch thinking it was getting old. But the problem was still there after the new switch was installed.

I put in the old Winged Cs and the problem disappeared. Plus the amp sounded better and normal. Those winged Cs probably are 20 years old...they look older, but they still sound awesome...

WTF.. you just cannot get good sounding tubes anymore that LAST...at least those that sound as good as these Winged Cs.

Ignorance is bliss... If you haven't tried them you haven't a clue. I use to think the Shuguang tubes were the best sounding tubes out there... But, after hearing these Cs... I've been awakend once again to the greatness of the past.

Man, I wonder what my Grampa's beer tasted like...and I think certain ones today taste good..

Sucks man, oh well live and learn! Have you ever tried Groove Tube EL34M they are pretty good, I usually have them in my 2204 but at the moment I have my Winged C in there just for a change of pace (cuz you reminded me I had a set!).

Adrian R

Reaction score
Sucks man, oh well live and learn! Have you ever tried Groove Tube EL34M they are pretty good, I usually have them in my 2204 but at the moment I have my Winged C in there just for a change of pace (cuz you reminded me I had a set!).

I think I might have. I tried the unbranded Shuguang version of it. They were decent. I *ain't* buying *hit now...fing prices are stupid now ..they all can *low me...greedy *ks.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I think I might have. I tried the unbranded Shuguang version of it. They were decent. I *ain't* buying *hit now...fing prices are stupid now ..they all can *low me...greedy *ks.
Thats alot of *******!!!!!

Adrian R

Reaction score
Thats alot of *******!!!!!

Everything is crazy, stupid expensive now...just DUMB...and what's even dumber are the people whom actually buy this crap at these insanely inflated prices! I understand some have a need...and that's unfortunate...but man... what people have been paying for real estate is like SOOO dumb...god.... I'll wait thank you.

Umm a pedigree dog will cost you 4K! A purebred cat...say Siamese or Bengal... over 2k! For a CAT? There are people with non-refundable deposits on these animals on litters YET TO BE BORN..god...STUPID..

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Everything is crazy, stupid expensive now...just DUMB...and what's even dumber are the people whom actually buy this crap at these insanely inflated prices! I understand some have a need...and that's unfortunate...but man... what people have been paying for real estate is like SOOO dumb...god.... I'll wait thank you.

Umm a pedigree dog will cost you 4K! A purebred cat...say Siamese or Bengal... over 2k! For a CAT? There are people with non-refundable deposits on these animals on litters YET TO BE BORN..god...STUPID..
Everything is stupid today...

Rozman62

Reaction score
Wish I bought more tubes years ago. Most of my amps have a backup set so I do have a small stash. When I'm into something I hoard the shit like nobody's business such as guitars, amps, guns, toilet paper, etc. I do have an old set of Winged C's and there is no doubt in my mind they were one of the best most reliable tubes ever manufactured. Stick with what works for ya.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
brother your living in your very own personal tube hell right now arent you? :cheers:

mad5066

Reaction score

what amp did you have them in and how was it biased?

Adrian R

Reaction score
Wish I bought more tubes years ago. Most of my amps have a backup set so I do have a small stash. When I'm into something I hoard the shit like nobody's business such as guitars, amps, guns, toilet paper, etc. I do have an old set of Winged C's and there is no doubt in my mind they were one of the best most reliable tubes ever manufactured. Stick with what works for ya.

You are 1000% correct! Hindsight is 20/20! I'd bought many matched quads!

Adrian R

Reaction score
Btw..it should be known that the last JCM 2000 amp I bought..made in 2000 for a mere $600..(circa 2017) came equipped with Svetlana EL-34 tubes...wout the *C* logo. They *feel* and sound even better then the NOS Cs I bought two years ago. I mean in your hand their heavier..more robust in construction....is it a mere coincidence that they outperform newer tubes?? They look used..but man they out perform every other tube I have.

Sadly it appears tube quality is consistently getting worst, not better.

Adrian R

Reaction score
You have a quad or a pair of these GL's?
Damn quad and their not cheap! Now their very expensive. At this time it appears Shuguang (Chinese) tubes are better then anything NS is producing. These GLs are supposedly one of the highest quality tubes coming out of NS.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Damn quad and their not cheap! Now their very expensive. At this time it appears Shuguang (Chinese) tubes are better then anything NS is producing. These GLs are supposedly one of the highest quality tubes coming out of NS.
Can you send them back and exchange them with your retailer?

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
I used to use those ****ing Shuaguang EL34Bs and was pretty happy with them. Not that it says anything for EL34 tone but Ive been very pleased with the tone of my ****ing Tung-Sol 6L6GC-STR tube and they have lasted 2years so far biased at 65/75%(amp has a 10% imbalance). I liked them more than some old ****ing GE 6L6s I tried in that amp....Maybe try the Tung-Sol EL34s.....you may ****ing like them............Im not ****ing funny am I?:naughty:

Latest posts