• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Once A Guitar Is Setup, Is There Any Reason To Change It?

• Thread starter BowerR64
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BowerR64

Reaction score
Ive seen many fender style bridges that over time the grub screws on the saddles vibrate out of position and the setup goes to hell. Ive seen some all the way flat down on the bridge plate Like the G string. Ive seen some that one side on every single saddle backed out tilting every saddle like a stair case. Some one who doesnt understand how a guitar works would ditch it thinking its broken once it starts to buzz.

I can look down the fretboard (i should use a tool) and i can see the radius of the fretboard and set the saddles to the right curve. Im wondering about trying blue lock tight on one i got.

Once ive setup a guitar ive never really had to mess with the saddle grub screws unless they have backed out again over time.

Has anyone else tried it?

Ive had a few that were tall and sharp and ive had to dremel them down so they dont cut into your palm when playing and its when i thought about just using lock tight and be done with it.

Les pauls have a fixed curve but they have 2 screws to adjust the hight

ricksconnected

Reaction score
if you use locktite your gonna regret it at some point. the stuff comes in different ratings as to its strength.
try using a tooth pick and some super glue first. its much more forgiving than locktite.
apply a small dab and let it dry. then install the screw where needed. I'm talking the tip of the tooth pick here.
just enough where you can hardly tell its on the tip of the pick. all your trying to do is fill the gaps
between the threads bro. don't have to fill them all, just a couple.

Philip Lyon

Reaction score
In 35 years of setting up guitars I have found Fender bridge saddle grub screws to be the biggest PITA of all to get to stay put, Strats and Teles alike.
Not only does string tension affect them but I'm convinced temperature / expansion contraction causes them to shift at a micro level as does mechanical vibration.
I have found the best solution is to use clear nail varnish - it's thick, non permanent and invisible - doesn't leave that white powdery residue either.
If you wish to adjust the saddle again after it's dry it just flakes off as soon as you turn the screw.
I even use nail varnish on fret tangs to prevent them from lifting.

BowerR64

Reaction score
ive marred the threads on screws before to get them to sort of lock up or be tight. Like using a set of dikes to sort of crimp a few of the threads.

I havnt done it on the screws on a guitar bridge but other things

johnfv

Reaction score
I've not tried locking them but have definitely seen them move. I've also noticed them move when there is no tension on the saddle (changing strings). Suddenly a saddle is noticeably crooked in height.

Latest posts