New free guitar day/project *COMPLETED*

• Thread starter mrjones2004x
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Remember to rinse paper often in the water with washing up liquid. As I understand, the liquid will help particles to leave the paper. Otherwise the particles will scratch the surface, and that might be a cause of hazy look.

Ok mate thanks. I’ll see how it dries. I managed to get it done this evening. 4 coats which is about 80% of the can.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
That's a nice colour!

I’ll look what colour it is tomorrow it’s behind the guitar in shed. Don’t wanna get loads of dust flying in there right now whilst it’s tacky.
It’s an old oil based stain my father in law had in his shed. He said it was from the 70s (been opened since then) so wasn’t sure to use it but it worked a million times better than the water based. Very easy to apply and went on really smooth.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Quick mock-up to see how it might look.

Thinking to get some 3 ply B/W/B pickguard material as this is too plain. Unless another colour be better? Also got a cream p90 cover on order to see?
Also not sure which knobs to use? These are what I have.
Hopefully all my bits and pieces be here by end of the week.
Basically new screws for covers and scratch plate and strap buttons and p90 screws

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Nearly finished now, scratch plate made at work. Will fit it tonight and hopefully get some finished pictures up.
It’s 95% complete. Playing amazingly just waiting for a new nut to arrive from China but the one fitted works perfectly just it’s old and a little stained

Eric'45

Reaction score
Quick mock-up to see how it might look.

Thinking to get some 3 ply B/W/B pickguard material as this is too plain. Unless another colour be better? Also got a cream p90 cover on order to see?
Also not sure which knobs to use? These are what I have.
Hopefully all my bits and pieces be here by end of the week.
Basically new screws for covers and scratch plate and strap buttons and p90 screws

A nice natural color, I like it very much. That guitar will age beautifully, and with a bit of wear, it will look even better. Black pickguard is good, I would go with black or Chrome Pickup Covers and Amber- colored Top Hat Knobs.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
So here it is all finished Barr the new nut which is somewhere between China and the uk.

Finish came out pretty good for a first attempt. I’ve realised I should have applied more lacquer than 3/4 of a can as there are wear spots already but they look nice. Keeps sticking to the hanger which is a pain but no biggy really.
Plays really well. Not sure the treble bleed is doing anything as rolling off goes dark so I might chop it out and see.

All in all it’s had.

New locking tuners which I already had,
New pickup cover,
New 3 ply scratch plate,
New Wilkinson wrap around bridge as original was missing,
New strings,
New top hat knobs which I had,
New nut one day……
Everything else is original. Wilkinson bk90 stacked pickup, original pots, jack and wiring just reconnected, original truss rod cover just slightly altered to fit better.

I’m happy with the results. Will tinker with the electrics more at weekend.

Pics for you guys here

BlueX

Reaction score
So here it is all finished Barr the new nut which is somewhere between China and the uk.

Finish came out pretty good for a first attempt. I’ve realised I should have applied more lacquer than 3/4 of a can as there are wear spots already but they look nice. Keeps sticking to the hanger which is a pain but no biggy really.
Plays really well. Not sure the treble bleed is doing anything as rolling off goes dark so I might chop it out and see.

All in all it’s had.

New locking tuners which I already had,
New pickup cover,
New 3 ply scratch plate,
New Wilkinson wrap around bridge as original was missing,
New strings,
New top hat knobs which I had,
New nut one day……
Everything else is original. Wilkinson bk90 stacked pickup, original pots, jack and wiring just reconnected, original truss rod cover just slightly altered to fit better.

I’m happy with the results. Will tinker with the electrics more at weekend.

Pics for you guys here

Looks good, that's a nice guitar!

I would also suggest chrome pu cover, and maybe chrome knobs (tele style?), to match the bridge, but that can wait 'till later.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Looks good, that's a nice guitar!

I would also suggest chrome pu cover, and maybe chrome knobs (tele style?), to match the bridge, but that can wait 'till later.

Can always mix it up at later date but I like it looks kinda vintage in its style, chrome on chrome might be too bling for my tastes.