One-stop pedal for "metal" tones

• Thread starter PelliX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it might do the trick, but pedals are generally just so outrageously expensive that I refuse to buy 'em as I understand what's inside - and most times it's a VERY rudimentary circuit made of inexpensive components. Likewise I can't be bothered to re-invent the wheel and design a PCB for cloning them myself generally. That leaves me in a stalemate. "You can't have it *both* ways, now", yeah, yeah, I know.
I know exactly what you mean! I feel like I’m getting swindled if I buy what amounts to a hot rodded Tubescreamer, but I can’t force myself to build one, either.

Which makes me wonder - why don’t you design your own circuit and build that? I know it’s a lot of work, but it’s certainly more rewarding than building a clone, and you can be assured that you get what you want. The Mr Boogie looks cool, though, and I generally like JFET based amp-in-a-box pedals.

PelliX

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean! I feel like I’m getting swindled if I buy what amounts to a hot rodded Tubescreamer, but I can’t force myself to build one, either.

Aye.

Which makes me wonder - why don’t you design your own circuit and build that? I know it’s a lot of work, but it’s certainly more rewarding than building a clone, and you can be assured that you get what you want. The Mr Boogie looks cool, though, and I generally like JFET based amp-in-a-box pedals.

That feels like reinventing the wheel. Kits are generally a pretty good compromise; no need to design the PCB and get it made. Sure I've got protoboard and I could etch PCB's the old way, but I currently don't have access to the gear for anything else. As long as the PCB isn't stocked you're free to pick and change whatever you want, even if the 'official' components are included. Then there's the case - that's generally the most underestimated task in any custom stuff like that. Fortunately, pedals are pretty straightforward and there's no reason to reinvent the wheel there either, though the options are generally not cheap either, especially if you include shipping. There are however things I would rather invest my time in currently - sure it's great fun, but Priorities(tm).

At the beginning of this thread [*squints and counts back the pages*] I outlined that this was supposed to be fast, relatively cheap and easy. Well, considering I still don't have quite the result I'm looking for we can scratch fast of the list.

I might just buy that kit, put it together and see what I think of it. Then re-visit what @iron broadsword outlined about improvements. Once I'm convinced it's "the ticket", then I might go ahead and make a custom design based on it with the "extras". Unlikely, but possible.

PelliX

Reaction score
hey @PelliX did you ever figure out what you wanted? It took me a while but i did end up building that dr boogie i talked about, check this out: https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/built-a-custom-3-channel-fender-mesa-preamp.138198/

Funny you should mention it. I ended up with a cheap BOSS ML-2 Metal Core thingy. It does what it should do, but it gets totally lost in a mix - in fact, it's so good at it, I've literally used it in that way on purpose. A few days ago, I decided I was going to tackle the issue with a shot at a Metal Zone, but I haven't pulled the trigger. They can be had 2nd hand for around 70-75 euros, which is not bad. The (mini) Metal Muff also comes highly recommended and I've seen the minis go fairly cheap, too.

I like that Dr Boogie - sure sounds nice - and nice rig you built there!
:yesway:

iron broadsword

Reaction score
thanks bro. I've never tried the metal core but the metal zone can definitely get some alright tones if you put it in the fx loop:

It doesn't really have the dynamics you need though so it will probably get lost in the mix too

Last edited:

iron broadsword

Reaction score
I just got the Boss IR2.
Wow!
So many incredible tones with tons of punch.

And no, it is not cheap.

ir-2_gal_top.png

awesome. i picked up a mooer radar which is the same concept and it's incredible.. having an ir on your board is killer for quick recording or plugging straight into the board

does it emulate entire amps or just the power amp?

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
awesome. i picked up a mooer radar which is the same concept and it's incredible.. having an ir on your board is killer for quick recording or plugging straight into the board

does it emulate entire amps or just the power amp?
Dunno. They all sound different. Preamp controls etc. I might use it as a preamp to power amp or as a replacement for an OD pedal even running to clean channel. Don't care about IR as such.
Run this into the Mooer Baby Bomb 30 watt mini pedal amp amd out to a cab as a backup. 2 channels, too.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I have a TS, but the Angry Driver sounds promising.
I'm no metal guy but I have this pedal and it has a lot of dirt on tap. I have an H90 and it would do this but more than several tenners...HM-2 is a legend for a reason...

PelliX

Reaction score
I'm no metal guy but I have this pedal and it has a lot of dirt on tap. I have an H90 and it would do this but more than several tenners...HM-2 is a legend for a reason...

True. The HM-2 comes in around 100. Angry Driver is a fair bit more again. I like the parametric EQ on the MT-2... Maybe I should just get a damn Mesa Boogie and pray I never have to service it... :rofl:

NumbSkull

Reaction score
I recently bought this from Thoman,
only £16.90 and its a good pedal.
So I bought 3 more Ministomps, The Deep, Plexicon and Rodent.
All good, Metal cases with a metallic finish, low noise and do what they should.

Useful because they are small so can add an extra spice to a board without taking too much space.

PelliX

Reaction score
Useful because they are small so can add an extra spice to a board without taking too much space.

Yes, I see your point. I happen to use a BOSS BCB-60 case, and it's cut out to house 4 'regular size' and one 'large' or 'double' pedal, so those mini's don't really work too well there. Anyhow, HNPD (plural)! :)

harleytech

Reaction score
Wasa Craft Metal Zone is all I use.. Regular Metal Zone before that..
Its all I used for 20 years, Just need to know how to dial them in and they are great..

PelliX

Reaction score
Wasa Craft Metal Zone is all I use.. Regular Metal Zone before that..
Its all I used for 20 years, Just need to know how to dial them in and they are great..

Saw a couple of things about swapping out one of the diodes for a regular LED and some cap omissions/changes. Just curious, did you go down that route? Any difference between the Waza and regular versions to your ears?

harleytech

Reaction score
No, I never swapped anything out.. just played them stock...
Wasa metal Zone has 2 different modes , and higher quality parts - Made in Japan..
Don't turn the gain all the way up and keep the mids low - bass and treble to taste..
my level is at 1 o'clock and gain at 9 o'clock - judas priest all day long.,. classic rock too..
turn it up a bit for Metal.. I love 'em !

hsb

Reaction score
One word, Dracarys

Last edited:

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Thats 3 words.
And one of them is spelt wrong.
But maybe spelling is flexible in Valerian.

hsb

Reaction score
Thats 3 words.
And one of them is spelt wrong.
But maybe spelling is flexible in Valerian.
Or maybe I didn't have enough coffee when I posted this morning. Pretty sure no one would of been confused by the errant apostrophe :)