• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Orange-Matamp ORST (50w) clone - UK - sold

• Thread starter neikeel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neikeel

Reaction score
This is one of the clones that I made of the ORST used by Free in the video here. I have completed x3 50w and a 100w version so far. I have two chassis with transformers and boards and knobs still left (for sale too), but time is not on my side (remember I am a full time human tech not amps). This one is a very precise clone (with Mats idiosyncratic preamp options) of the original. I am keeping a 50w and 100w myself.
WisV198.jpg

FTTR50B.jpg

8bG0UCc.jpg

FH1eMfP.jpg

pybCT86.jpg

d3Naa9y.jpg

ptd0Rnf.jpg

bAqBUzp.jpg

37wjLGB.jpg

OT and PT are Partridge (100w spec). Tubes are Mullards.
All the parts, boards, pots, jacks etc are all exact spec regardless of cost.
Please look at it closely and compare with an original and you will see how good these are compared with an original. You can see that the chassis were punched for 100w (I had minimum order - hence the spares, same goes for the Traffolyte front panels which are 100% clones of the originals.
I am asking £1500 on open market but will discount heavily for forum members and local collection (shipping can be discussed). If you are interested in an original 69 ORST PM me but I already have a couple of people after that. I will later be posting listing for the 'kits' of basic parts.

tomsvintage

Reaction score
Very nice Neil !!!!

Do you have any sound clips of your amp ?

Is this the Free video you mention ?

Last edited:

StingRay85

Reaction score
I noticed the Philips electrolytics. I have quite a few of those, which are actually the useful types? I assume they were mainly used as cathode bypass capacitors and in some pedals

neikeel

Reaction score
I noticed the Philips electrolytics. I have quite a few of those, which are actually the useful types? I assume they were mainly used as cathode bypass capacitors and in some pedals

Yes, they are the correct value based on the original and as their capacitance and ESR were in spec I used them. Lots of interest and nice comments but no takers yet. I will consider all offers if it is an easy hassle free sale, although go too low and the Mullard EL34s come out and something decent but more modern go in!

neikeel

Reaction score
I’ve got two bare shells with panels, handles and circuit boards. I have partridge trannies, Plessey pots and the correct pots for one of them. I’m happy to sell these in to a builder at cost.

jbones4141

Reaction score
Hey are any 50 watters available still? And if not where did you source the chassis, cab, faceplate? Thanks!

neikeel

Reaction score
Hey are any 50 watters available still? And if not where did you source the chassis, cab, faceplate? Thanks!
Yes, one 50w and one 100w. Only one for sale as I want to keep one for myself.
Chassis made to my spec by local electronic enclosure firm: EMS in Mildenhall
Traffolyte panels were made from scans of originals I had. Cabs made locally by luthier James Payze to keep him busy during lockdown. He made some for me and two to rehouse Andy Powell’s restored OR100s.
I have a kit available too (no head cab) at half the price.

fazeka

Reaction score
I have a kit available too (no head cab) at half the price.
Hi there, top shelf work mate. I have been interested in building a nice Orange. Is this kit still available?

Completed an early 60s spec JMI AC-15 last year (as close as possible with modern parts), looking for a new challenge/something rather unique...

BMwQU9D.png

oCoJ1kR.png

8tZo0hk.png

Last edited:

neikeel

Reaction score
Hi there, top shelf work mate. I have been interested in building a nice Orange. Is this kit still available?

Completed an early 60s spec JMI AC-15 last year (as close as possible with modern parts), looking for a new challenge/something rather unique...

Very nice. Lots of work there.
I do have one chassis and a set of iron left with pots, caps, resistors, selectors, lamp etc.
Send me pm if interested

fazeka

Reaction score
Very nice. Lots of work there.
I do have one chassis and a set of iron left with pots, caps, resistors, selectors, lamp etc.
Send me pm if interested
Ah, apparently I have no ability to PM. Am too new on this forum, I guess? Not sure when that ability kicks in? Certain number of posts?

Last edited:

neikeel

Reaction score
I’ll email this evening after work with pics of what I have.

pgmlml

Reaction score
OT and PT are Partridge (100w spec). Tubes are Mullards.
All the parts, boards, pots, jacks etc are all exact spec regardless of cost.
Please look at it closely and compare with an original and you will see how good these are compared with an original. You can see that the chassis were punched for 100w (I had minimum order - hence the spares, same goes for the Traffolyte front panels which are 100% clones of the originals.
I am asking £1500 on open market but will discount heavily for forum members and local collection (shipping can be discussed). If you are interested in an original 69 ORST PM me but I already have a couple of people after that. I will later be posting listing for the 'kits' of basic parts.

Am I tool late to get one of these? Where can I contact you?

neikeel

Reaction score
Afraid the last ORST (one I kept by) has been claimed and the ‘kits’ have gone to USA. I have one OR100 that I was going to keep for myself. I do have the Matamp 2000 that I will keep if someone makes good offer for the 100.