Ordered a Peavey 6505 Mini Head and Orange PPC112 Cabinet

• Thread starter yell03
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yell03

Reaction score
I was just reading theres a footswitchable crunch on the rhythm channel, so does this mean you can go from clean to crunch on channel 1 and channel 2 for high gain? Like having a 3 channel footswitchable amp? How is the transition from clean to crunch sound when the crunch is turned on by footswitch?

Yes, just like having a 3 channel amp. Immediate channel switching, no lag.

One weird thing is:

unlike the 5150 III which has a huge volume jump when switching from clean to crunch, I noticed on the 6505 if the gain is cranked, the clean is actually slightly louder than the crunch.

FJP467

Reaction score
Ok. I am either crazy or I just love to buy gear. I have made no bones about how much I love the Peavey 6505MH. I think it is the coolest little amp I have ever purchased. Well, based on my own experience with the 6505MH and my belief that Peavey really has hit a grand slam with this line of amps, I had to give into my GAS and get the Valveking 20 too. I am very excited to do a side by side comparison. Not to mention, I feel having both amps, will cover just about any genre of musical tones. I still think the 6505MH will be the go to amp but we will see. I will post my impressions after some experimenting!

jem7sk

Reaction score
Ok. I am either crazy or I just love to buy gear. I have made no bones about how much I love the Peavey 6505MH. I think it is the coolest little amp I have ever purchased. Well, based on my own experience with the 6505MH and my belief that Peavey really has hit a grand slam with this line of amps, I had to give into my GAS and get the Valveking 20 too. I am very excited to do a side by side comparison. Not to mention, I feel having both amps, will cover just about any genre of musical tones. I still think the 6505MH will be the go to amp but we will see. I will post my impressions after some experimenting!

I am really excited to hear your review. If mine would have had bass on gain channel I'd still have it. It could cover any tone but had no thump and balls. The clean channel was amazing and I would consider getting another along with the 6505mh to sit together on top of my stereo JCM900 lead 1960 running one on left and other on right.. Maybe I got a bad one. Looking forward to your review.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Get the Classic 20 too for a three way comparison!

FJP467

Reaction score
I am really excited to hear your review. If mine would have had bass on gain channel I'd still have it. It could cover any tone but had no thump and balls. The clean channel was amazing and I would consider getting another along with the 6505mh to sit together on top of my stereo JCM900 lead 1960 running one on left and other on right.. Maybe I got a bad one. Looking forward to your review.

I only had a few minutes to mess around with the Valveking last night. It definitely does not pack the punch of the 6505MH but I figured that would be the case. Gain channel seems very smooth. The gain boost is impressive. The clean channel is very nice. I will definitely get some more time on it the next few days and then give my honest opinion. I hope it does work out though. I plan to sit them side by side on my 2x12 and be able to A/B them. Would be a cool little set up.

jem7sk

Reaction score
I plan to sit them side by side on my 2x12 and be able to A/B them. Would be a cool little set up.

I was thinking the same thing.. especially since the VK doesn't have seperate EQ.. it was a pain to switch channels and reconfigure everything but if it is just running clean like this it would be awesome. I got my VK for $325 shipped so these are quiet a bit less expensive than the 6505 and Classic. I'm still hoping the 6505 has comparable cleans then I only need that one :)

FJP467

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing.. especially since the VK doesn't have seperate EQ.. it was a pain to switch channels and reconfigure everything but if it is just running clean like this it would be awesome. I got my VK for $325 shipped so these are quiet a bit less expensive than the 6505 and Classic. I'm still hoping the 6505 has comparable cleans then I only need that one :)

Totally agree. The gain is so good on the 6505 that I can not see the Valveking becoming the go to amp. However, the cleans on the Valveking seems to be excellent so I could have best of both worlds. I was able to get it shipped to my house for $320. I could not say no at that price. I actually scored the 6505 for a pretty good price too. The way I look at it I have 2 great amps for about $750. Can't beat that. I can not wait for the weekend to get here so I have basically unlimited time to experiment with these 2 monsters...lol.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Totally agree. The gain is so good on the 6505 that I can not see the Valveking becoming the go to amp. However, the cleans on the Valveking seems to be excellent so I could have best of both worlds. I was able to get it shipped to my house for $320. I could not say no at that price. I actually scored the 6505 for a pretty good price too. The way I look at it I have 2 great amps for about $750. Can't beat that. I can not wait for the weekend to get here so I have basically unlimited time to experiment with these 2 monsters...lol.

The VK20 is the old model, the 6505MH and C20 are the new models thats probably why they cost more, and possibly designed better. I did like the VK20 when I tried it recently but I was very impressed by the C20 and 6505MH demos I've seen, maybe the C20 has a bigger sound comperable to the 6505MH. One of you guys gotta get the C20 and compare it to the 6505MH!

Cthulhu

Reaction score
What other 112 cab besides the Orange the OP got would you guys recommend to pair with the 6505mh? I'm looking for something a little less expensive than the Orange, but will still do the 6505mh justice...

Oh, dumb question of the day: Could I run the 6505mh through a DSL40C using the speaker only?... Treating the DSL40C like a cabinet only?

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
What other 112 cab besides the Orange the OP got would you guys recommend to pair with the 6505mh? I'm looking for something a little less expensive than the Orange, but will still do the 6505mh justice...

Oh, dumb question of the day: Could I run the 6505mh through a DSL40C using the speaker only?... Treating the DSL40C like a cabinet only?

What kind of speakers do you like? That's a metal amp, V30's, 75's, would be good choices, look at Avatar or Sourmash cabs. You could wire it up to your DSL40 too.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
What kind of speakers do you like? That's a metal amp, V30's, 75's, would be good choices, look at Avatar or Sourmash cabs. You could wire it up to your DSL40 too.

I was going to order a G12T-75 for my DSL40, but if I had to get a different cab for the 6505mh, I'd prob put something different in the 40C. That's why I was wondering if I could use my 40C as a cab running the 6505. Hoping to not have to get a different cab as I'm cramped for space...

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Yes, run a male to female 1/4" speaker extension from the 6505 to the male jack coming from the speaker on the 40C and make sure it is set to 16 ohms. Should sound good I would say.

jem7sk

Reaction score
If you have the room a 2x12 or 4x12 will sound great with one of these heads :) Might be easier and cheaper to find a used 4x12.

yell03

Reaction score
The more I play both amps (DSL40C and 6505 MH) the more I like both of them.

So much so that I am putting all of my Pedals and Pedalboard up for sale.

Both amps are more than capable of just bringing to a gig and plugging the guitar straight in.

No effects needed.

jem7sk

Reaction score

How do you like them and how do they compare now that you have had some time with them?

FJP467

Reaction score
How do you like them and how do they compare now that you have had some time with them?

Still love them both. Both amps are obviously built off of the same platform and each is tweaked for certain characteristics. The 6505 is just a gain monster. It really has way more than you will ever need. That said the crunch and lead tones that you can get out of this thing at a very moderate volume is very impressive. The Valveking, however, certainly can hold its own as far as gain goes. It has a gain boost that when engaged, you can not go over half way or it gets flubbery. The un-boosted gain is very smooth and is just perfect for 80's type hair metal or dialed back for classic rock (and everything in between). To me, the amp really shines on the clean(crunch) channel. You can dial in either a pristine clean that is like glass with lots of chime or add gain to make it a little gritty. Also, the Valveking also allow you to dial between Class A or Class A/B. I don't find this as useful on the gain channel, but it really allows you to add texture to your clean or crunch tone. Right now, still experimenting with both, but I am playing the Valveking a little bit more. Both amps are just a lot of fun to play and are well worth the investment. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

jem7sk

Reaction score
Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Were you ever able to get bass outta that VK? I sent mine back because it sounded weak even though it would play any tone I wanted. The cleans were amazing. Just wish it had some bass.

FJP467

Reaction score
Were you ever able to get bass outta that VK? I sent mine back because it sounded weak even though it would play any tone I wanted. The cleans were amazing. Just wish it had some bass.

The bass on the VK is not as deep as the 6505 but I do not find it to be thin at all. Playing through either a 2x12 1936 Marshall Cab or a 2x12 Carvin V3 Cab. Both cabs are closed back. The cleans are amazing. All of that said, I do not think the VK has enough bass to get you into modern metal territory. I guess that is why they came up with the 6505 mh.

Now someone has to get that Classic 20. I need to hear someone's reviews on that. I am sure it is a beast in its own regard.

yell03

Reaction score
The bass on the VK is not as deep as the 6505 but I do not find it to be thin at all. Playing through either a 2x12 1936 Marshall Cab or a 2x12 Carvin V3 Cab. Both cabs are closed back. The cleans are amazing. All of that said, I do not think the VK has enough bass to get you into modern metal territory. I guess that is why they came up with the 6505 mh.

Now someone has to get that Classic 20. I need to hear someone's reviews on that. I am sure it is a beast in its own regard.

I actually think the Classic 20 might turn out to be the best of all, but the 6505 MH was my 1st choice.

If I don't love my EVH 5150 III I might return it and ge the Classic 20.

Heck, for the price maybe I'll buy a Classic 20 to mess around with