Ordered a Peavey 6505 Mini Head and Orange PPC112 Cabinet

• Thread starter yell03
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FJP467

Reaction score
I actually think the Classic 20 might turn out to be the best of all, but the 6505 MH was my 1st choice.

If I don't love my EVH 5150 III I might return it and ge the Classic 20.

Heck, for the price maybe I'll buy a Classic 20 to mess around with

I am anxious to hear your comparison on the EVH vs 6505 MH. I am so impressed with the tone I can get at low volume form the Peaverys. If the EVH does the same thing, that could be a game changer for sure. That said, if I ever see a Classic 20 for what I paid for my VK, I would grab it...lol.

jem7sk

Reaction score
The bass on the VK is not as deep as the 6505 but I do not find it to be thin at all. Playing through either a 2x12 1936 Marshall Cab or a 2x12 Carvin V3 Cab. Both cabs are closed back. The cleans are amazing. All of that said, I do not think the VK has enough bass to get you into modern metal territory. I guess that is why they came up with the 6505 mh.

Now someone has to get that Classic 20. I need to hear someone's reviews on that. I am sure it is a beast in its own regard.

I think I might have gotten a bad VK.. from what I am hearing mine didn't have nearly the bass of others.. that's too bad because I'd still have it if it wasn't messed up. Must have been a loose or bad tube.

FJP467

Reaction score
I think I might have gotten a bad VK.. from what I am hearing mine didn't have nearly the bass of others.. that's too bad because I'd still have it if it wasn't messed up. Must have been a loose or bad tube.

That is very unfortunate. As you stated earlier, the cleans are amazing. It is a fun amp to mess around with. The prices are starting to come down too. You can always pick one up again someday. Better yet, go get that Classic 20 and let us know what you think...LOL!!!

jem7sk

Reaction score
That is very unfortunate. As you stated earlier, the cleans are amazing. It is a fun amp to mess around with. The prices are starting to come down too. You can always pick one up again someday. Better yet, go get that Classic 20 and let us know what you think...LOL!!!

I think you are the one who would be best to get the Classic 20.. you already have the other two and could make a fair comparison :D

yell03

Reaction score
I am anxious to hear your comparison on the EVH vs 6505 MH. I am so impressed with the tone I can get at low volume form the Peaverys. If the EVH does the same thing, that could be a game changer for sure. That said, if I ever see a Classic 20 for what I paid for my VK, I would grab it...lol.

I probably won't to get to review until next week.
I will most likely be away when it arrives.

FJP467

Reaction score
I think you are the one who would be best to get the Classic 20.. you already have the other two and could make a fair comparison :D

Touche.....you make a valid point. My wife is the absolute best but I might be pushing my luck if any more packages show up for a while...lol. Well, I could have it sent to my office instead :hmm:. Gonna need to think about that. Will keep you posted!

yell03

Reaction score
Touche.....you make a valid point. My wife is the absolute best but I might be pushing my luck if any more packages show up for a while...lol. Well, I could have it sent to my office instead :hmm:. Gonna need to think about that. Will keep you posted!

That's what I do:D

FJP467

Reaction score

I was just thinking......today is my wedding anniversary. I wonder if the wife would like a Classic 20 as a present. Does she play guitar? Not a note, but isn't that irrelevant when it comes to buying gear? I could always return it if she did not like it (after I got done testing it). Just a thought. :scratch:

jem7sk

Reaction score
I was just thinking......today is my wedding anniversary. I wonder if the wife would like a Classic 20 as a present. Does she play guitar? Not a note, but isn't that irrelevant when it comes to buying gear? I could always return it if she did not like it (after I got done testing it). Just a thought. :scratch:

LOL

I used to know a guy on another forum that would order everything he wanted to try from Musician's Friend, Guitar Center, etc. Then after trying it for 30 days he'd send it back unless he really liked it.

You could do that with the Classic 20 :D

GuitarMutant

Reaction score
Got my 6505 mh yesterday. Overall, I'm very impressed with what I would normally consider a disposable amp.

PROS:

• Small, portable
  • Great low to medium high gain sounds using the clean channel and the boost.
  • Transparent-enough effects loop
  • Decent overall bottom end from a small OT and EL84s
  • A nice, loud 20w
  • Clean channel CAN do nice cleans if the gain is below 9:00.
  • low-wattage switch works very well
CONS:

• Bottom end CAN get flubby at higher volumes (just adjust accordingly)
  • Recording outs are terrible. Waste of space IMO
  • Lead channel has too much gain (for me) - metal guys should love it though
  • While the boost function increases gain, it noticeably reduces volume. Not a LOT, but enough that using it as a separate channel from the clean channel live isn't feasible.
  • Digital reverb SOUNDS nice, but the tail is too long for anything other than squeaky clean tones.
Overall, at the current market price (if you look around enough, you can get these for about $400-$425 - I paid $404 shipped for mine), these are a great value if you have the need for what it offers. My vote is get one. It fills the mini-amp void that was in my collection pretty well.

yell03

Reaction score
Got my 6505 mh yesterday. Overall, I'm very impressed with what I would normally consider a disposable amp.

PROS:

• Small, portable
  • Great low to medium high gain sounds using the clean channel and the boost.
  • Transparent-enough effects loop
  • Decent overall bottom end from a small OT and EL84s
  • A nice, loud 20w
  • Clean channel CAN do nice cleans if the gain is below 9:00.
  • low-wattage switch works very well
CONS:

• Bottom end CAN get flubby at higher volumes (just adjust accordingly)
  • Recording outs are terrible. Waste of space IMO
  • Lead channel has too much gain (for me) - metal guys should love it though
  • While the boost function increases gain, it noticeably reduces volume. Not a LOT, but enough that using it as a separate channel from the clean channel live isn't feasible.
  • Digital reverb SOUNDS nice, but the tail is too long for anything other than squeaky clean tones.
Overall, at the current market price (if you look around enough, you can get these for about $400-$425 - I paid $404 shipped for mine), these are a great value if you have the need for what it offers. My vote is get one. It fills the mini-amp void that was in my collection pretty well.

Strange isn't it, the crunch channel is a bit lower in volume than the clean channel, on the EVH 5150 III it is the opposite, but more extreme.

GuitarMutant

Reaction score
Strange isn't it, the crunch channel is a bit lower in volume than the clean channel, on the EVH 5150 III it is the opposite, but more extreme.

And that's what I expected in this amp!
Too bad really. It's counter-intuitive. I like the clean to be lower in the mix for impact when I hit the drive. It's just the way our songs are written - someone else may find this way better.... it just seems odd, and it's one of the things I don't like about the amp. Only a small hurdle though.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I think it must use some of the energy to distort and get less volume. I will have to run guitar volume lower for clean channel as mine will be here Monday!! If I really like it, it might get the nod at November's show.

GuitarMutant

Reaction score
I think it must use some of the energy to distort and get less volume. I will have to run guitar volume lower for clean channel as mine will be here Monday!! If I really like it, it might get the nod at November's show.

I don't know the circuit, but if it uses diodes for the boost, there might be a mismatch. I know a lot of Jose-styled Marshall mods reduce the output significantly in order to use diodes.

I don't know enough about the mods or diodes themselves to give an educated assessment, but since I've experienced it with a Jose-styled mod that used diodes, I wonder if it's the same issue.

Speeddemon

Reaction score
Got my 6505 mh yesterday...

Bottom end CAN get flubby at higher volumes (just adjust accordingly)
That would make it an instant pass for me.

Digital reverb SOUNDS nice, but the tail is too long for anything other than squeaky clean tones.
That kinda sounds like the verb in the Carvin V3M, no?

I must say, for me the reverb in the Engl Ironball is near perfect; not too overbearing, not too bright, not too long, but crank it, and you could still do classic Malmsteen or borderline surf-tones.
And it's footswitchable too. :yesway:

jem7sk

Reaction score
Better yet, go get that Classic 20 and let us know what you think...LOL!!!

Well, Paul from Guitar World does the best reviews on YouTube of gear IMO and he just did the Classic 20:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZc7aFAMazU[/ame]

jem7sk

Reaction score
That is very unfortunate. As you stated earlier, the cleans are amazing. It is a fun amp to mess around with. The prices are starting to come down too. You can always pick one up again someday.

I thought about this one below.. I would be sure to get plenty of bass with a 100/25/5. However, I am really enjoying my iPad/Jamup Pro these days so I think I will just upgrade my interface for a fraction of the price and stay focused on improving my abilities :) . Plus I turned on my Rocktron Prophesy/Velocity 150/150 stereo last night and played it through two 4x12s in stereo and wow! did it sound great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Valv...212213?hash=item43e3f3c3b5:g:lDsAAOSw42JWED4Z

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.