Origin 50 head is badass

• Thread starter tresmarshallz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
Have not been on here for a while since I went full Orange Rockerverb mode. I just picked up a Marshall Origin 50 head from Sweetwater because I really missed that old school Marshall sound that I used to get from my '78 JMP and JCM800 4010.
Wow, this amp really hits the mark in spades, I was not expecting it to so closely match the old school Marshall tone, and with a boost on it and cranked, it is passable for heavy metal IMO, which was kind of a prerequisite for me.
I would highly recommend it for anyone on the fence, as long as you are familiar with the type of gain response you get from a JMP type amp, you will feel right at home. The looks were a big plus for me too, as I've always loved the small box look.

In reviews so many people said it was really bright, I didn't find it to be overly bright at all, the brightness of it just add to the definition and clarity, not icy picky in any way

speyfly

Reaction score
Have not been on here for a while since I went full Orange Rockerverb mode. I just picked up a Marshall Origin 50 head from Sweetwater because I really missed that old school Marshall sound that I used to get from my '78 JMP and JCM800 4010.
Wow, this amp really hits the mark in spades, I was not expecting it to so closely match the old school Marshall tone, and with a boost on it and cranked, it is passable for heavy metal IMO, which was kind of a prerequisite for me.
I would highly recommend it for anyone on the fence, as long as you are familiar with the type of gain response you get from a JMP type amp, you will feel right at home. The looks were a big plus for me too, as I've always loved the small box look.

In reviews so many people said it was really bright, I didn't find it to be overly bright at all, the brightness of it just add to the definition and clarity, not icy picky in any way

Welcome back and to the Origin owners club.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
I hate to ask this because maybe it has been covered; are there any preamp tube swaps that might improve it? I didn't even open it up to see what type were in it. Sounds fine just the way it, but I am usually one that messes with preamp tubes eventually in all my amps.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to ask this because maybe it has been covered; are there any preamp tube swaps that might improve it? I didn't even open it up to see what type were in it. Sounds fine just the way it, but I am usually one that messes with preamp tubes eventually in all my amps.

Welcome back, and to the Origin owners club.
There's a few recent threads with Origin preamp tube recipes.
To each his own, but it seems these amps take tube changes as well as pedals, and everyone has a favorite set-up.

I put 3 JJ ECC803S's in my O20H.
I think it added a little growl when I open it up.

Beltalowda

Reaction score
Good to hear! I'll be grabbing a 50 within a month. I was a little worried about the highs on it, too, but glad to read that it may not be an issue.

Out of curiosity, what kind of cab/speakers are you running it through?

Ps. 37

Reaction score
I put an E-H 12AY7 in V1, pair of E-H 12AX7 in V2 and V3, pair of E-H 6CA7 power tubes through 2 Greenbacks.

Last edited:

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
@ Beltalowda, I am running a mix of broken in v30s and 75's. I would imagine it would be more spikey with new speakers, but not too bright at all on broken in speakers.

thanks for the input on preamp tubes guys, I will try some JJ's I have sitting around

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Congrats! I share your joy and excitement!

The Origin series definitely nails old school Marshall, tone, gain structure, amp response etc etc etc. Marshall really hit the mark with this one.

I am almost positive stock V1 is a Marshall branded JJ and v3 is Marshall branded but looks the same as my Ruby Tubes... whatever brand RT uses.

I currently enjoy a RCA 12AT7 in v3 PI.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your Origin
I have mullard RI’s in all spots on one of mine, and a mullard in V1 on the other, I am running mine through MG cabs, one has greenbacks, the other one has eminence golds, it jus rocks for me, late 70’s JP and UFO, to Thin Lizzy.
Cheers
Mitch

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
Word of caution to Origin 50 owners, be careful running certain pedals in the loop, I just fried my fx loop running an EQ/Boost pedal in it. I loved the sound but it only lasted a day and no the fx loop does not work. The pedal was an Orange Two Stroke, which I just use as an EQ, but it is also a boost so maybe the loop did not like it? I don't know if it is a tube driven fx loop. I'm gutted and not sure if I want to go to the trouble of returning it and waiting weeks for a new one or for a repair.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Word of caution to Origin 50 owners, be careful running certain pedals in the loop, I just fried my fx loop running an EQ/Boost pedal in it. I loved the sound but it only lasted a day and no the fx loop does not work. The pedal was an Orange Two Stroke, which I just use as an EQ, but it is also a boost so maybe the loop did not like it? I don't know if it is a tube driven fx loop. I'm gutted and not sure if I want to go to the trouble of returning it and waiting weeks for a new one or for a repair.
If you just got it from Sweetwater, call them and return it.
Might have nothing to do with the pedal.
Bummer that you'll have to wait for a replacement, but fixing it should not be your problem.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
I called them and have a support case open, but I seriously doubt there is anything they can do over the phone. The amp works great other than the loop volume goes to whisper quiet anytime you engage the loop while a pedal is plugged into loop.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
Thanks, I did try a new tube in all 3 positions with no change. Those tubes are scary hard to get out of there. Now I am afraid to use the loop when I get the new one. They are sending another amp so if it happens on the new one then I will return it and not get another. That EQ sounded fantastic in the loop, doesn't sound as good in front. I have seen a lot of references in general to people using EQ/boost in the loop, so weird to think this could have fried something.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I did try a new tube in all 3 positions with no change. Those tubes are scary hard to get out of there. Now I am afraid to use the loop when I get the new one. They are sending another amp so if it happens on the new one then I will return it and not get another. That EQ sounded fantastic in the loop, doesn't sound as good in front. I have seen a lot of references in general to people using EQ/boost in the loop, so weird to think this could have fried something.
Hope it works out, I have yet to try the EQ in the loop, because I use it to feed both of them, to run dual mono.
Cheers

Latest posts