Origin or DSL?

• Thread starter webcat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

webcat

Reaction score
I’m currently using a Katana 100w 2x12, overall really like it but thinking of going back to Marshall. I’ve previously had a TSL100 half stack and JCM900 1x12 and loved both.

I mainly play a Les Paul, typical rock stuff. Also have a strat and Tele and I’m getting more into cleaner sounds and also learning fingerpicking. So I want something reasonably versatile.

I’m not a huge effects guy, I have delay, chorus and a tube screamer. But I’m aware the Origin is one channel with no reverb.

Is that alone reason to get the DSL instead, or is the Origin still usable for having a rhythm tone and getting a boost for solos without another pedal?

General opinions on each model would be welcome. I’m looking at the Origin 50w or DSL40w

Moony

Reaction score
I would buy the DSL 40 watts combo.
With the newer DSL40CR you even get two master volumes.
But that's just my personal opinion.

Best you can do is grab your guitar, go to a music shop and try out both. :)

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do own a Dsl but not an Origin, but I’m pretty sure they are very different. DSL’s go from a really nice clean in the green channel to gobs of gain in the red channel.

Origin’s also has very nice cleans but they don’t have all the gain of a Dsl, if that’s important to you.

Origins are kinda like a poor man’s Plexi, I don’t mean that as a pejorative though, it just seem to fit that description I think.

Obviously if you can play both that’s the best scenario, YouTube videos are only slightly helpful when judging tone imo.

webcat

Reaction score
I would buy the DSL 40 watts combo.
With the newer DSL40CR you even get two master volumes.
But that's just my personal opinion.

Best you can do is grab your guitar, go to a music shop and try out both. :)
I’d love to, but there’s no stock anywhere remotely local.
How does two master volumes work?

webcat

Reaction score
I do own a Dsl but not an Origin, but I’m pretty sure they are very different. DSL’s go from a really nice clean in the green channel to gobs of gain in the red channel.

Origin’s also has very nice cleans but they don’t have all the gain of a Dsl, if that’s important to you.

Origins are kinda like a poor man’s Plexi, I don’t mean that as a pejorative though, it just seem to fit that description I think.

Obviously if you can play both that’s the best scenario, YouTube videos are only slightly helpful when judging tone imo.
I quite like the idea of a plexi, but with the option of going further. I assume a tube screamer would help with that. Lack of a boost and reverb kinda sucks though

Moony

Reaction score
How does two master volumes work?

You can dial in how loud you want the power amp to be.
You can crank the gain/volume on the preamp and tame the overall volume with the master volume.
Having two master volumes is useful if you want to make your sound louder eg for a solo.
There are a lot of videos on YT which show the features of the amp - at least that's helpful.
Soundwise it always depends on which guitar/pickup/cable/cab/speaker/recording etc. - and of course the guitar player.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I’m currently using a Katana 100w 2x12, overall really like it but thinking of going back to Marshall. I’ve previously had a TSL100 half stack and JCM900 1x12 and loved both.

I mainly play a Les Paul, typical rock stuff. Also have a strat and Tele and I’m getting more into cleaner sounds and also learning fingerpicking. So I want something reasonably versatile.

I’m not a huge effects guy, I have delay, chorus and a tube screamer. But I’m aware the Origin is one channel with no reverb.

Is that alone reason to get the DSL instead, or is the Origin still usable for having a rhythm tone and getting a boost for solos without another pedal?

General opinions on each model would be welcome. I’m looking at the Origin 50w or DSL40w
Go play them and you decide. Or order both and return the one you don't want. They are both different.

webcat

Reaction score
You can dial in how loud you want the power amp to be.
You can crank the gain/volume on the preamp and tame the overall volume with the master volume.
Having two master volumes is useful if you want to make your sound louder eg for a solo.
There are a lot of videos on YT which show the features of the amp - at least that's helpful.
Soundwise it always depends on which guitar/pickup/cable/cab/speaker/recording etc. - and of course the guitar player.
So similar to a channel volume function on a master volume amp?

cccc

Reaction score
I don't like the DSL or Origins at all, If it was me I'd save up for a used JVM but it's got to please you not me.

5TIMBO

Reaction score

Imo you can't go wrong with either one. I have a dsl40c and a 20w origin wo matching slanted 2x12. I run thru a wampler tumnus thru the front of the Origin set with mild break up and if I need a little extra it has a boost switch to get you over the top. On 9 days out of 10 it's my go to rig. The dsl40c was my number 1 but bcuz the channel 2 is a little heavier than I like and the reverb might as well not exist on the dsl, I go with the Origin. Lots of people mistake the Origin as a clean only amp, and tho it does clean wonderfully, it will do rock, blues, and I'm sure will the right pedal, will chug right up there with about anything you want to match up with. Again, these are the opinions I have formed based on owning both, but is up for you to decide for yourself.

30+ playing with some live experience but mostly bedroom volumes passing on my knowledge to my twin teenage boys, Gibson and Marshall. True Story

Moony

Reaction score
So similar to a channel volume function on a master volume amp?

What is similar?
A master volume is a master volume.
With two of them you can choose how loud your amp is via switching.

If it was me I'd save up for a used JVM

+1

But they are so expensive in the US.
So I see why people buying Origins and DSLs instead.

Moony

Reaction score
https://Reverb(dot)com/item/54635519-rare-marshall-jmp-1-h-50th-anniversary

lol but that's a fantasy price - I doubt anyone will buy it.
I know some folks charge a bit more for these 1W anniversary heads these days, even here in Germany I've seen some for 700 Euros.
They were 400, 500 Euros on the used marked over the last years.

But the JVM215C seems like a good deal if you're in the US. 👍

Latest posts