Origin or DSL?

• Thread starter webcat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cccc

Reaction score
JVM is too compressed and modern sounding compared to the amps the op mentioned.

The JVM's have so much tone shaping ability and can sound like Marshalls from all generations . I don't like the modern Marshall sound at all and if that was the only sound the JVM series could produce I wouldn't be interested at all but the JVM's contain the very best tech Marshall has to offer there are no corners cut anywhere . There are a ton of price cutting measures in the Origin's and DSL models .

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
The JVM's have so much tone shaping ability and can sound like Marshalls from all generations . I don't like the modern Marshall sound at all and if that was the only sound the JVM series could produce I wouldn't be interested at all but the JVM's contain the very best tech Marshall has to offer there are no corners cut anywhere . There are a ton of price cutting measures in the Origin's and DSL models .

Sure the JVM offers many tonal possibilities but all of them are scooped, compressed, too smooth, or not as open as other Marshalls imo. Ymmv.

The JVM can be modded to sound more open and classic iirc but not everyone wants to mod their amps, myself included. :)

webcat

Reaction score
What is similar?
A master volume is a master volume.
With two of them you can choose how loud your amp is via switching.
Well I mean if one is for the power amp and the other is for the preamp, how’s that different to an amp that has a channel volume or gain stage for the preamp, and a master for total output? It’s early but “two master volumes” sounds like an oxymoron to me

webcat

Reaction score
L
Imo you can't go wrong with either one. I have a dsl40c and a 20w origin wo matching slanted 2x12. I run thru a wampler tumnus thru the front of the Origin set with mild break up and if I need a little extra it has a boost switch to get you over the top. On 9 days out of 10 it's my go to rig. The dsl40c was my number 1 but bcuz the channel 2 is a little heavier than I like and the reverb might as well not exist on the dsl, I go with the Origin. Lots of people mistake the Origin as a clean only amp, and tho it does clean wonderfully, it will do rock, blues, and I'm sure will the right pedal, will chug right up there with about anything you want to match up with. Again, these are the opinions I have formed based on owning both, but is up for you to decide for yourself.

30+ playing with some live experience but mostly bedroom volumes passing on my knowledge to my twin teenage boys, Gibson and Marshall. True Story
yeah I don’t play really heavy either, I never access the higher gain settings on amps. I’ve also realised that most rock tones are a lot cleaner than i realised, so I guess I want that glassy plexi tone but with the ability to have a little push for solos

I get the feeling the origin will need some supplementing but I won’t use half of what the DSL offers

webcat

Reaction score
I am an owner of both Dsl40c’s and Origin 50’s .. they both rock an do their own thing.. and rock hard and loud,, play them if you can ..
and buy both..

Cheers
Mitch
How would the Origin work in a live setting as far as lead boosts? And do you find it needs to be pushed hard to get good gain tones from it? Read some mixed reports on that.

Unfortunately I can’t play them. There’s a huge shortage/delay in stock right now for loads of amps. I was at Andertons yesterday and they had no Marshalls at all, stock not expected for at least another month.

I spoke to another store that has some Origins and they’ll deliver and accept returns, but the return would have to be via insured courier at my expense - I’m happy enough to do that, but I’d like to only order it if I’m pretty sure I want to keep it.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I mean if one is for the power amp and the other is for the preamp, how’s that different to an amp that has a channel volume or gain stage for the preamp, and a master for total output? It’s early but “two master volumes” sounds like an oxymoron to me
There are two master volume pots. You can switch the signal from one to the other. If you set one at 4 and the other at 8 it will give you the same tone but a lot louder on the one set at 8.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree with this about the multiple mv’s, but the Dsl40c owners will tell us they work very well together sooo,…

webcat

Reaction score
I tend to agree with this about the multiple mv’s, but the Dsl40c owners will tell us they work very well together sooo,…
I just finished watching a review of the amp, and he loved absolutely everything about it but said he still can't work out why there are 2 master volumes, because the channels already have volumes and unless the other 2 are maxed out, the amp sounds more fizzy. I suppose it's one of those features I'd need to test out first hand, but on the surface it's a bit of a head scratcher

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
IIRC the guy that does the Headfirst mods to the Origin's opened up a Studio (SV IIRC) head and an Origin head to compare them to each other and found them almost identical in parts and build quality. The origin also appeared to use the same OT as the SV and also has a ply shell, only a little thinner ply and tolex. The price difference mostly appeared to be related to the lower labor costs in Vietnam. I can't speak for the DSL build quality.

Moony

Reaction score

Please do me a favor and at least take a look at the front panel of the DSL40CR.

It has Gain and Volume for Classic Gain, Gain and Volume for Ultra Gain - AND additional two Mastervolumes (Master1 and Master2).
So you can dial in every channel how you like it and decide wether you want set the overall volume by Master1 OR by Master2 - and as I've said you could set Master2 a bit higher than Master1 to use it as a solo boost.

webcat

Reaction score
Please do me a favor and at least take a look at the front panel of the DSL40CR.

It has Gain and Volume for Classic Gain, Gain and Volume for Ultra Gain - AND additional two Mastervolumes (Master1 and Master2).
So you can dial in every channel how you like it and decide wether you want set the overall volume by Master1 OR by Master2 - and as I've said you could set Master2 a bit higher than Master1 to use it as a solo boost.
I've been looking. Still don't really get it, nor does this guy in his review - My Marshall DSL40CR Guitar Amplifier Review

webcat

Reaction score
Ok then please tell me what you don't understand and I'll try to explain.
The need for them, mainly. As both channels have their own volume already, why would a single master volume not serve the same purpose? The reviewer linked above reckons they sound vastly better with the 2 masters turned all the way up, so his take on it was basically users would turn them to 10, then forget about them and control the output by the channel volume

Moony

Reaction score
The need for them, mainly. As both channels have their own volume already, why would a single master volume not serve the same purpose?

It depends on the schematic.
The power amp of some amps runs at full blast then, also if you set the preamp gain and preamp volume low.

The reviewer linked above reckons they sound vastly better with the 2 masters turned all the way up, so his take on it was basically users would turn them to 10, then forget about them and control the output by the channel volume

Haven't watched that review today (probably seen it a while ago) - but yes, turning up the master volume will open up the power amp and it may sound a bit better.
But normally amps have their sweet spot below full blast.
And it IS indeed useful if you want to have switchable different volume levels.

If you don't need it you could also buy the older DSL40C which has a slightly different voicing, a worse speaker and no two master volumes.

webcat

Reaction score
It depends on the schematic.
The power amp of some amps runs at full blast then, also if you set the preamp gain and preamp volume low.

Haven't watched that review today (probably seen it a while ago) - but yes, turning up the master volume will open up the power amp and it may sound a bit better.
But normally amps have their sweet spot below full blast.
And it IS indeed useful if you want to have switchable different volume levels.

If you don't need it you could also buy the older DSL40C which has a slightly different voicing, a worse speaker and no two master volumes.
so if using them as a lead boost, does that mean you otherwise treat it as a single channel amp? Dial in your tone, then use master 2 as a boost?

Moony

Reaction score
so if using them as a lead boost, does that mean you otherwise treat it as a single channel amp?

No it's a dual channel amp with a shared EQ - you have classic gain and ultra gain.

Dial in your tone, then use master 2 as a boost?

You could use master2 as a boost when set higher than master1.
You could also use it for bumbing up the volume on the Classic Gain Clean, because that's normally not as loud as the others.